Home incinerator project

/ Home incinerator project #1  

tradosaurus

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5400 HST, heavy duty bucket, 3rd function, R1 tires (rears filled), 2 remotes
I've researched ideas for a home incinerator to use outdoors.
The only purchased item that comes close to what I want is $2300 and $1300 shipping.

I have this burn barrel but because it's difficult to get the ash out, rain causes the ash to rust the bottom of the barrel

I need a big opening as we burn a lot of trash (no plastics or glass).

My idea is to use cinder blocks and keep the blocks from shifting by using rebar hammered in the openings from the top into the ground.

I can buy mesh material at Home Depot to lay on the top.

Anyone have ideas that doesn't require welding?
Incinerator_B.jpg

/ Home incinerator project #3  
Any local law regarding open burning?Your idea looks o.k.,maybe line with fire brick.

/ Home incinerator project #4  
Looking at that design I don't think you'd get nearly enough air or draft for a hot enough fire and you'd have a lot of items that don't fully burn.

/ Home incinerator project
Looking at that design I don't think you'd get nearly enough air or draft for a hot enough fire and you'd have a lot of items that don't fully burn.
I would mortar any of the bricks.

Any local law regarding open burning?Your idea looks o.k.,maybe line with fire brick.

Only during burn bans but with a mesh lid to keep cinders from getting out it won't be a problem.

/ Home incinerator project #8  
Cinder block that get hot enough WILL crack or explode unless insulated by fire brick or some metal lining.
Chips flying off can take out eyes, have a friend with a glass eye.

Last edited:
   / Home incinerator project #9  
I would add a couple of iron pipe "breathers" to feed combustion air into the center and back for more complete burning. I would also think about your prevailing winds so the air intakes are "upwind". To the extent that you can rig a chimney, you will improve the draft, but it may not be worth the hassle.

Have you considered one of the numerous burn barrel designs previously posted here? If you have a lot of trash, I would consider using your enclosure with two or three burn barrels in it. That would help reduce the heat load on the cinder blocks, which really do not have much tolerance for heat, and might avoid the use of fire brick which, at least around here, isn't exactly cheap.

All the best, Peter

I would add a couple of iron pipe "breathers" to feed combustion air into the center and back for more complete burning. I would also think about your prevailing winds so the air intakes are "upwind". To the extent that you can rig a chimney, you will improve the draft, but it may not be worth the hassle.

Have you considered one of the numerous burn barrel designs previously posted here? If you have a lot of trash, I would consider using your enclosure with two or three burn barrels in it. That would help reduce the heat load on the cinder blocks, which really do not have much tolerance for heat, and might avoid the use of fire brick which, at least around here, isn't exactly cheap.

All the best, Peter
I did buy this burn barrel. The problem is getting the ash out. I've already went through one set of panels because of rust.

Maybe I can modify the Pyro Cage