Home made Backhoe

/ Home made Backhoe #21  
I went stick (Miller BlueStar welder generator) as that is what I was taught to use in 8th grade. That along with my perception that it could handle thicker material and I typically only weld heavy metal, that is dirty or painted and tough to clean up prior to welding.

I would imagine that each welding method has its application? As with most things there seems to be a pros to cons to each.

I do find the DC much easier to strike than AC.

I'd like to get a mig, but I've got no experience with gas and I'd imagine I'd go gasless which I would expect would limit my capabilities. I gues no gas is another reason I chose arc.

Nice backhoe, I hope he comes back to answer some of the questions. I owned a CAD 628 and it was a great backhoe, super strong and tough, built by a guy named Al in VT.

Joel

/ Home made Backhoe #22  
One of theses days, someone will set up a Cage-Match thread, for stick vs wire machines! :D ~Scotty

I hope so Scotty, it's my favorite battle and more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

/ Home made Backhoe #23  
I hope so Scotty, it's my favorite battle and more fun than a barrel of monkeys!

The active thread called Welding is about as close as I've seen to a fight to the death cage match on welding techniques. It's calmed down a bit, but there are some very honest opinions shared on that thread about why one method is not any better than another.

/ Home made Backhoe #24  
I think that any welder or would be welder, should learn both systems, so they can make a logical choice about when, where and which method is required for the job at hand. This bragging about either system will go and on. Some of us feel, that it is not worth while to own two different systems, so in essence, we have to get good at what we have. I still take anything critical to a welder that does it for a living. There is just to much data out there for one to know it all, so we become specialize, and some get real good at what we do. You can skip around some of the trades out there, but it is hard to stay proficient at all of them.

/ Home made Backhoe #25  
I think that any welder or would be welder, should learn both systems, so they can make a logical choice about when, where and which method is required for the job at hand. This bragging about either system will go and on. Some of us feel, that it is not worth while to own two different systems, so in essence, we have to get good at what we have. I still take anything critical to a welder that does it for a living. There is just to much data out there for one to know it all, so we become specialize, and some get real good at what we do. You can skip around some of the trades out there, but it is hard to stay proficient at all of them.

I disagree, JJ. Now that I own a MIG I've become a much worse welder. Before I owned a MIG all of my poor welds were not a result of my poor welding skills; they were a result of not having the right equipment for the job. Now that I own a MIG, the poor welds are simply a result of my poor welding skills. :D

I admire anyone who can build a backhoe like the one in this thread. I keep trying to get up the courage to start my own, but I've been very successful at procrastinating. By subscribing to the threads here about backhoes I've been learning a lot.

/ Home made Backhoe #26  
Iplayfarmer ,

Then, let me ask you this, Do you have what you think is a good welder for the material you are welding? Do you think a qualified Mig welder could do some outstanding welding using your machine, staying within the boundaries of your machine? If that is true, then you should be able to achieve the same results. I believe that the ability to succeed, is in every one of us, and the ability to achieve a particular goal is up to the individual and the amount of training he is willing to go through. Most of us do not have the training that we would like to have, for whatever reason, be it money, time, working to many jobs, night courses, etc. I believe that you, me, just about anybody can build just about anything you want with enough training and practice.

I would love to have a good shop, with a computer in side room, and be able to draw something, cut out the pattern, and weld it up, and then look at what you have done, and sit back, and say D*m, I'm good.

/ Home made Backhoe #27  
Iplayfarmer ,

Then, let me ask you this, Do you have what you think is a good welder for the material you are welding? Do you think a qualified Mig welder could do some outstanding welding using your machine, staying within the boundaries of your machine? If that is true, then you should be able to achieve the same results. I believe that the ability to succeed, is in every one of us, and the ability to achieve a particular goal is up to the individual and the amount of training he is willing to go through. Most of us do not have the training that we would like to have, for whatever reason, be it money, time, working to many jobs, night courses, etc. I believe that you, me, just about anybody can build just about anything you want with enough training and practice.

I would love to have a good shop, with a computer in side room, and be able to draw something, cut out the pattern, and weld it up, and then look at what you have done, and sit back, and say D*m, I'm good.

I'm sure there are better machines out there, but I think between my higher powered stick and my lower powered MIG, an experienced welder could do just about anything needed. I really like welding, which means that I'll probably get a lot better. I just keep burning rods, reading TBN, and asking friends who are good what I can do to improve.

/ Home made Backhoe #28  
For anyone who feels that they can't weld very good. Practice, practice, practice.

/ Home made Backhoe #30  
For anyone who feels that they can't weld very good. Practice, practice, practice.
You are a wise person GE222. That is exactly what my Father always said.