Homemade Post Driver

/ Homemade Post Driver #11  
extreemly nice, and I take it this isn't your first day of welding or fabricating looking at the pics.

/ Homemade Post Driver #12  
Another idea would be to add a spring wedge on the lower pipe to pull post out. As you pull up the wedge grabs the pipe. You could lock it out when pushing. In the pull mode, the spring wedge grab the post and the bucket pulls it out. A cone on the bottom to help center the post and a release for the wedge would let one man do all the work.

/ Homemade Post Driver
Thats a real worksaver. Very inventive. Looks like you have a bunch of tools so that you can DIY (do it yourself). I'd ask a million questions but I don't want to scare you away. Just 2 for now.

What type of agriculture/farming are you involved in?

How long have you (or your family) been involved with it?

I love coming on here and reading about people from all around the world. Glad you speak English so well. Thank you for posting!

Hey Kyle_in_Tex - Keep them questions coming, I'm not scared easily.
I use basic metal working tools mostly, an angle grinder goes a long way. I also have a drill press, bad saw and a MIG welder.
We do sheep farming and some horse breeding as well mostly as a hobby, we have had horses for some ten years now and got our first sheep some five years back. I am actually a master Carpenter or joiner I think it's called and later became a construction engineer so building houses is my trade but I love doing metal work in my spare time - that is if I'm not working on my antique tractors or 1946 CJ2A jeep...

/ Homemade Post Driver
That's a fantastic piece of equipment and it seems like something that could be built and sold the world over. Extremely nice and professionally made.

I noticed your posts were not very tall above the ground (maybe 1 meter?). Are you fencing for sheep? Do you use some kind of stretching posts anchored in concrete or crushed rock to pull your fencing tight? How do you handle corners? I have a good friend who has a Shaver brand post driver on the 3PH of his tractor and builds farm fences for a living. Your post pusher is much easier to use, quicker, and probably a lot safer.:thumbsup:

Thank you jinman for your kind words.
You are correct we are fencing for sheep so the fence is about 1,1m tall, it does handle horses as well but mind you the Icelandic horse is rather small. On corners we do use stretching post (old telephone poles mostly) anchored by concrete stones we cast in plastic buckets with a 10mm reinforcement bar coming out of the ground and from there we use soft wire to connect to the post.

P6020006.JPG
P6190002.JPG

Please note we still haven't put the top barbed wire on top of the poles in the picture.
We have a 12" drill on the 3 point hitch and we drill for the corner posts and the concrete stones. We just pack what ground comes up around the posts after pushing them further down with the JD 3650 FEL - the main load from the fence is taken up by the bracing wire that is anchored by the concrete stone in the ground.
I agree this post pusher looks much safer and is certainly faster than the post knockers I've seen, but granted this one will not handle as big poles.

Last edited:
   / Homemade Post Driver
   / Homemade Post Driver #16  
The resto job you did on the MF 135 looks AWESOME!!! It even has a FEL on it. Did you make the FEL too, or was that a factory built unit?

/ Homemade Post Driver #17  
Nice MF 135. Another poster "FarmwithJunk" will enjoy that if he sees it. You work with metal as if it was your primary job. I liked your sandblaster and paint booth too. You could make some good side money just blasting and painting things for people.

Where did you learn such good english?

Does the ground stay permafrost at some depth?

How long is your growing season or warm season?

/ Homemade Post Driver #18  
I am ready to fence even more than 25 acres of land.

/ Homemade Post Driver
The resto job you did on the MF 135 looks AWESOME!!! It even has a FEL on it. Did you make the FEL too, or was that a factory built unit?

Thanks Kebo! No I didn't make the FEL it was made by a UK company called MIL but I fabricated the beam that is bolted under the belly.

/ Homemade Post Driver
Nice MF 135. Another poster "FarmwithJunk" will enjoy that if he sees it. You work with metal as if it was your primary job. I liked your sandblaster and paint booth too. You could make some good side money just blasting and painting things for people.

Where did you learn such good english?

Does the ground stay permafrost at some depth?

How long is your growing season or warm season?

Metal work is my hobby and self taught - I don't know how I'm going find time to do work for others...

Primary English is taught in schools over here, so is Danish for that matter so you will find most people in Iceland speak to some degree three languages at an early age. The rest I've picked up in the school of live mostly and in the University for Engineers.

No we do not have permafrost, except up in the highest mountains and on the glaciers. The fact is Iceland is an island in the middle of the Atlantic by the Arctic Circle so the cold sea controls the temperature pretty much but the warm Gulf stream coming from the gulf of Mexico runs by Iceland and makes it habitable - so you down there in Texas take care what you throw in the sea! The average temp in winter is about 0 Celsius (32F) with lowest -20 C and in summer average temp is around 10 C (50F) with maximum 25 C.

The growing season relatively short only three months June - August. But being situated by the Arctic Circle means we have 24 hours of sunlight during summer and then again winters are dark and the shortest days only a few hours sunlight.