Honda quad question

/ Honda quad question #31  
Oh forgot to mention, on the beverage part, he has a 9 acre winery that sits next to my back yard. But will have them over for sure, again.

So, to recap....

You have a neigbour who gives away Honda quads, and makes alcohol....

Guys like you are why I don't buy lottery tickets !

;)

Rgds, D.

/ Honda quad question #32  
So, to recap....

;)

Rgds, D.

WEll ... me either until today. Powerball is $450 million plus. That is almost 1/2 BILLION dollars.

So, even I had to break down and buy a ticket.:)

MoKelly

/ Honda quad question #33  
Not sure if this is the right place, but here goes. My neighbor and I were chattin over the fence yesterday, discussing my brand new, that morning, Husqvarna Garden Tractor, which I LOVE, by the way. Any way, he asked me if I was interested in his old Honda quad. It has sat for a couple years and was giving carb issues before he moved on to a golf cart to do his chores with. He gave it to me!!!!! Soo, my question, is how do I tell what model this thing is. I don't know the year, but according to him, it's a 250cc, and it's a 2WD. It's green and looks just like the 4WD models, sans the front diff of course. It's manual shift, but no clutch. I want to get a manual for it, but would like to know how to tell what year/model it is so I can get the right manual. Any suggestions on where to look? I don't see any name plates, it just says Honda, made in USA. Any helpful hints appreciated. Also ideas of what to expect carb wise, or tuning?

You get the "You Suck" award!

Just kidding good for you on getting a great little ATV at the best price...FREE!

Just remember tho that nothing is truly ever free!

I would change all fluids before trying to start it; you never know what type of contaminants could be in there. Filters air/oil/gas and a fresh NGK Iridium IX plug.

Refill with high test gas and charge battery then see what you have to work with.

Just what I would do IMHO

Sent from my iPhone 5s 64Gb using TractorByNet

/ Honda quad question
So, to recap....

You have a neigbour who gives away Honda quads, and makes alcohol....

;)

Rgds, D.

You don't know the half of it. He gave me an AG trailer 3 years ago, it's now my 4x8 utility trailer with 3500lb axle, and a frame that is made of 2"x4"x 1/4" box tubing. I haul my tractor on it, and could probably put my Honda car on it, if it would fit. With a previous axle, I have hauled two full pallets of bricks with it. That took about 40-50hrs of welding to make road legal.

The rest of the story, in the 1950's, my wifes' grandmother wonf the Irish sweepstakes. In 1975, my wifes sister won a new Olds Toranado and some other stuff on The Price is Right. In 2000 my wife won a brand new Jeep Wrangler. So trust me I take what is offered to me. I am still playing catch up.

Actually I got the best prize of all, my Wife. Been married over 40 years, and still going strong.

/ Honda quad question
You get the "You Suck" award!

Just kidding good for you on getting a great little ATV at the best price...FREE!

Just remember tho that nothing is truly ever free!

I would change all fluids before trying to start it; you never know what type of contaminants could be in there. Filters air/oil/gas and a fresh NGK Iridium IX plug.

Refill with high test gas and charge battery then see what you have to work with.

Just what I would do IMHO

Sent from my iPhone 5s 64Gb using TractorByNet

Oh I will end up spending some cash on this, but nothing like if I had to buy one.

/ Honda quad question #36  
You don't know the half of it. He gave me an AG trailer 3 years ago, it's now my 4x8 utility trailer with 3500lb axle, and a frame that is made of 2"x4"x 1/4" box tubing. I haul my tractor on it, and could probably put my Honda car on it, if it would fit. With a previous axle, I have hauled two full pallets of bricks with it. That took about 40-50hrs of welding to make road legal.

The rest of the story, in the 1950's, my wifes' grandmother wonf the Irish sweepstakes. In 1975, my wifes sister won a new Olds Toranado and some other stuff on The Price is Right. In 2000 my wife won a brand new Jeep Wrangler. So trust me I take what is offered to me. I am still playing catch up.

Actually I got the best prize of all, my Wife. Been married over 40 years, and still going strong.

Good gambling genes with those ladies - you definitely have some catching up to do !

Let us know how the ATV maintenance goes.

Rgds, D.

/ Honda quad question
SO after some research on the brake system, I pulled the wheels, and heated and beat the right front hub off. Once off, I inspected everything and all looks good. The odd thing was even after adjusting the shoes all the way in, I couldn't get the hub back on. I tried compressing the cylinder pistons and nothing was working. Finally after multiple attempts I got it hammered back on and the wheel barely rotated, still.

So for kicks and grins I went to the left side and did the same heat and beat routine. This drum was a bit rusty inside, but a few minutes with sandpaper cured that issue. I cleaned off the brake shoes and re-assembled. This hub slipped right on and spun free, like it should. So I adjusted the shoes to lock and backed off to a slight drag. Back to the right side, thinking I missed some rust, and the stinking wheel is spinning free and easy???????

I have no idea, unless something in the hyd line freed up. So I adjusted the shoes as before. All is good in the front now.

So the battery is not powering up anything. Threw the charger on it and it is not showing it's charging???? I pulled it and put on trickle charger and it says "charged". So I guess I need to track down the leads and look for loose connections, or blown fuses, wherever they are.

I am still trying to find neutral on this darn thing. The PDF manual I got (which I hate, and need to get a printed one) shows the shift pattern to be, up=reverse, then down for neutral, then down for 1,2,3 and 4th. The previous owner said it was hard to find when it was running, much less like this.

/ Honda quad question #38  
SO after some research on the brake system, I pulled the wheels, and heated and beat the right front hub off. Once off, I inspected everything and all looks good. The odd thing was even after adjusting the shoes all the way in, I couldn't get the hub back on. I tried compressing the cylinder pistons and nothing was working. Finally after multiple attempts I got it hammered back on and the wheel barely rotated, still. So for kicks and grins I went to the left side and did the same heat and beat routine. This drum was a bit rusty inside, but a few minutes with sandpaper cured that issue. I cleaned off the brake shoes and re-assembled. This hub slipped right on and spun free, like it should. So I adjusted the shoes to lock and backed off to a slight drag. Back to the right side, thinking I missed some rust, and the stinking wheel is spinning free and easy??????? I have no idea, unless something in the hyd line freed up. So I adjusted the shoes as before. All is good in the front now. So the battery is not powering up anything. Threw the charger on it and it is not showing it's charging???? I pulled it and put on trickle charger and it says "charged". So I guess I need to track down the leads and look for loose connections, or blown fuses, wherever they are. I am still trying to find neutral on this darn thing. The PDF manual I got (which I hate, and need to get a printed one) shows the shift pattern to be, up=reverse, then down for neutral, then down for 1,2,3 and 4th. The previous owner said it was hard to find when it was running, much less like this.

The shift pattern you stated is not like any Honda quad I have ever owned. All the way down should be neutral. Once in neutral you should have to press a red R button on the left side of the handle bar and then pull the brake lever back. As long as you hold the brake lever the R button should stay down. Now push down on the shifter and you should be in reverse. Up once goes back to neutral up again for first up again for each higher gear.

/ Honda quad question #39  
Except for the color it looks like my old 250 Fourtrax. Honda makes some good stuff, my beast keeps on running. Couple things to note, the batteries only last about 2 years with somewhat constant use. They are small and wimpy. Yours is probably quite dead, put a meter on it and see what you get for voltage. Seeing it's been sitting, I would pull the carb and clean it out. Most likely you'll find some clogged jets. Stabil is your friend for these machines that sometimes sit for weeks on end. On mine, reverse is hit by clicking it down until it stops. Lift a rear wheel and spin it while clicking the shifter, that will help you get to reverse then half a click up is neutral. Again spinning the wheel will help find it. With battery power or when running, mine has a light that comes on when in reverse and neutral, I would think yours is similar.

Good luck, sounds like you have a great neighbor.

/ Honda quad question #40  
Got an old (86) Honda 250 three wheeler. The only problem I've ever had was with the starter and the carb not being jetted correctly. Otherwise the thing just keeps on running. Even the ethanol gas doesn't hurt it. I did have a bad spark plug, the porcelain cracked. Back in 2010 I retired it when I got a Honda Big Red. This past fall a coworker was asking about it so I dragged it out, drained the old gas, and with fresh gas it started right up. Once you get everything working again I bet you'll get 10 to 20 more years out of it.