Horse arena maintenance

/ Horse arena maintenance #1  

Timmmmah

Tractor
2005 L 3130 FST
anyone here maintain horse arenas? I am looking at a gearmore rotary harrow or a TR3 rake... here is the link to the rake.. http://www.tr3rake.com/equine/default.asp anyone have any experience or advice would be much appreciated. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

/ Horse arena maintenance #2  
At the moment, we are maintaining our arena with a box blade, straight blade with a rake like attachment in front of the blade, and a drag. Daily maintenance is with the drag.

I know of two places that have tried the tried the TR3 and neither were very happy. Both places were a much larger operation then ours. One is a for profit show grounds with three arenas. They do everything from Rodeos to Dressage. The other facility has two sand arenas and one grass arena. They are Hunter/Jumpers or Dressage.

The first facility used the TR3 for one weekend and sent it back. They now use the Reveal 4-N-1 and have fantastic footing. The second facility now uses a drag much like ours. The difference is we run ours tines up for daily maintenance and they run theirs tines down.

Their footing is way too deep. It is an effort just to walk in the arena. I can’t comment on the rotary harrow. I haven’t used one nor do I know anyone that has.

However, I do know a few people that have the Reveal 4-N-1 and they are all very pleased with it. As soon as we can come up with the funds for one, we’ll also be using it on our Dressage Arena.

/ Horse arena maintenance #4  
The Reveal was the one I was trying to find. I've roped in many arenas that use this, it is absolutely the ultimate in ground prep. Can say enough good about it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ Horse arena maintenance #5  
No advice but seem to recall that different styles of riding may require different ground preparation techniques.

Egon

/ Horse arena maintenance
just general smoothing and clod busting i guess

/ Horse arena maintenance #7  
Then you might find an old drag locally, like maybe at an estate auction. A friend had an old one that had spring teeth and curved metal section at the back, worked ok, and was cheap. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

not expressly looking for "cheap" either, I am kinda liking the rotary harro thingy, but wondering how it turns, is it PTO driven?

/ Horse arena maintenance #9  
The ones like this I've seen and used are not pto driven. It rotates with the combination of how level the round drag part is (3PH adjustment), and the angled tines, make it rotate. Not real fast, but it will rotate.

ok thanks didnt look like there was a shaft going to it anywhere