Horse arena maintenance

/ Horse arena maintenance #21  
We have about 30 horses on our stables and hav others use our riding hall.

We dont have a dedicated tool yet but use the blunt "dutch"harrow, made of I beams or railway tracks, and a triple K cultivator when necessary.

Mostly the dry sandy indoor soil doesnt need cultivation, just being dragged with the levelling frame.

/ Horse arena maintenance #22  
When my dad and his brothers use to bulldog grandaddy would cut the pen deep with a disc and then run a crosstie drag over it. The pen where we rope is just lightly broken up with a disc.

/ Horse arena maintenance #23  
We like ours to be somewhat soft - along the lines of pleasure, reining, cutting, etc.

I use a two phase (at once) approach. I pull a row cultivator on my 3pt - allows me to adjust the depth of dig. Chained behind my cultivator I've got a section of spike harrow - I can adjust the spikes as well.

Works for our indoor round pen - screenings, as well.

I borrowed a neighbor's cultivator - basically it's the type with a couple of rows of spikes and a couple of spiked drums. It does a decent job - a lot more $$ than my setup, though...

LAXPatrick

/ Horse arena maintenance #24  
The horse farm Where I work uses a soil pulverizer to break up and condition their arena, expensive implement but works great.
Stefan