Horsepower/Acre

/ Horsepower/Acre
rbargeron,

So, that would be 2 hp/acre...just for the record!

Are you related to Wen? He had me help him with the math too! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Horsepower/Acre #52  
JimbinMI

Rbargeron needed more than 18.5 HP too - starting to look like a trend! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Horsepower/Acre
Wen,

Of course he has to have more than 18.5 hp, he owns an <font color=orange>Orange</font color=orange> tractor! /w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif/w3tcompact/icons/laugh.gif

<font color=blue>JimBinMI

We boys and our toys!

/ Horsepower/Acre #54  
Monday morning and time to get somebody riled up ! I have a big mower - it weighs 1000 pounds more or less and cuts 7 1/2 feet wide. There is NO 18.5 hp tractor which will run this thing no matter whether it is green, blue, grey & red, orange or pink.

New England land can be rough - it destroys toy tractors. If you've ever bent a loader or broken your pto gear teeth you know what I'm talking about. If you haven't you may be ok with a miniature.

Power is good. Weight is good too. More power and weight - even better.

Oh, about the math, my main power requirement is for mowing my eight acres and another nearby 5 or 6 so the ratio is more like 3 1/3 hp per acre using the trendy "net hp" figure of 45. But I still say this ratio is irrelevant.

/ Horsepower/Acre #55  
My mower also weighs 1000 pounds, but it is only 6 ft medium duty Bush Hog. My tractor is a Kubota 68 hp 4WD and weighs about 8000#. Since my local property is only 10 acres, Jim ascribes 6.8 hp/acre to me.

I believe the size tractor required depends on what you need to do and has very little to do with the number of acres, within reason. If you are going to row crop 1000 acres, then that will drive everything else. Last month I broke $150 worth of tiller tines just tilling the rocks out of some of the soil and there is no way a small tractor tied to a tiller that is jumping 6 inches into the air, could even hold the tractor in place! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

I want to get one of the Road Master 6 ft graders. They seem to also take a lot of HP to maintain roadbase gravel roads. Rocky soil seems to be a lot harder on a tractor than sandy soil. /w3tcompact/icons/frown.gif