Horsepower/Acre

/ Horsepower/Acre #41  
Jim,
Do you know my neighbors? I live on a private drive with 13 lots all 5 acs. or bigger. Anyway I've got a big ice rink and I got a Zamboni for it last fall which I kept in the barn so as not to freeze. As spring came the Zamboni went out side for the summer and as I was covering it up after moving it to behind the barn (Facing the neighbors,about 400ft. away) He comes over and ask if I am leaving it there all summer. (It was there for all of 5 min.)States he does not want to look at it. I have a camo brown tarp that makes it blend in with the brown barn so it is hard to see, and he has no windows facing my house. I told him thats the beauty of owning five acs. and that he is more than welcome to plant trees on his lot to block the view. (Which he did) Just goes to show you that you don't have to be close to tick of the neighbors by doing something. By the way, guess where his kids spent the winter skating?

/ Horsepower/Acre #42  
Re: Horsepower/Acre...Von

How does that old saying goes.
Sometimes nice guys finish last or whats in it for me.
Take care and have a safe pleasant weekend.

Thomas..NH

/ Horsepower/Acre #43  
Von how in the world did you end up with a Zamboni? I would have loved to have one as a kid growing up. Some people are so one way. My closest neighbor has a race car and when I first moved in came over and asked if I minded if he ran it. I told him that my kids will make more noise outside than his racecar ever could. He was relieved at that answer. The only time that I've heard him run it is if I'm outside as well in the house I can't hear it at all.
People buy large amounts of land for different reasons but I feel they should be able to do what they want on their land---after all isn't that why we don't live in the city so we can do what we want.

/ Horsepower/Acre #44  
Re: Horsepower/Acre..gordon

May be the key word could be jealous from your neighbor?
I've seen acts of jealous from my neighbors !!

Thomas..NH

/ Horsepower/Acre #45  
ejb,

I love it! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

When I was putting in coastal, they offered to plow the field and save me the trouble of tilling it. They said that it took about 1 acre to turn the tractor around. Guess that would be too big. They were plowing 16 ft wide. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif I tilled it because I was sure that I would do a better job than they would.

The guy that put the spriggs out used a 100+ HP Cab John Deere 2WD and with the sprigger, you don't plan to get in a position to back up, although you could in a pinch. I tried and could pull the sprigger ok with my little old 68 hp tractor in 4WD. /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

/ Horsepower/Acre #46  
I have read a lot of restrictions and CC&R's but have never seen one that tells you what size lawnmower you can have. My tractor is actually quieter than my self propelled lawnmower! /w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif Tell the neighbors that you bought a lawn tractor that was not so close to the ground because you were afraid of snakes. /w3tcompact/icons/wink.gif

/ Horsepower/Acre #47  
Amen, Gordon. I have some very good neighbors, and I also have a few whose property looks like an abandoned junk yard, but I'll sure never say anything to them about it. I bought this place knowing there are about as few rules as you could find anywhere in the nation, so I can do as I please and they can do the same. And so far, I think that's worked out to everyone's satisfaction./w3tcompact/icons/smile.gif

Bird

/ Horsepower/Acre #48  
Hi again.

Let's see, in response to the neighborhood, I think the Kubota will be quieter than most of their lawnmowers. I live in a neighborhood that is nice enough to have (mostly) good people, but not snobby people. (That neighborhood is about 1/2 mile up the hill a bit.) We have some restrictions in terms of building permits and such, which I have followed, although I'm reasonably certain many of my neighbors have not. (Can you say "blackmail"?). No town restrictions on the equipment if it's not used for commercial purposes (it won't be). The Kubota will be garaged.

Actually, the neighbors that are closest will be able to hear it and see it in action, but seeing as these are also the neighbors whose sidewalks and driveways I help them clear in the winter, I don't think they'll be any problem.

In response to ejb, yes, I should easily be able to turn it around on my property.

Take care, and I hope you're all having a good Memorial Day holiday.

~Rick

/ Horsepower/Acre #49  
I must need a bigger tractor, please hurry & tell the wife. Have 188 acres and only 38 HP = .20HP/Acre, just depends on what you plan to do with it

/ Horsepower/Acre #50  
Responding to your request to come here and offer my two cents:

A person's choice of the appropriate tool can be a simple shrug of acceptance for the most readily available or can become an avocation in itself.

My own selection of tractors (on my 4th) has been more in the way of enjoyable quest for functionality as my acreage has responded to the treatments applied to it over the years.

If you are lucky, you'll get satisfaction and enjoyment from your tractor experiences. It's all about controlling your environment - or at least pursuing the illusion. (go ye forth and subdue the earth, etc.) But most importantly, you may come to think that HP and acre count are not tightly linked.

In my case, keeping 8 acres finish-mowed and another 17 a presentable woodlot seems to be well-matched to a 50 hp 4wd. I wanted the orange kind because of the flat-out superior engineering they brought to the compact tractor industry in the '80s. When I'm older and have more time for playing on my land, I'll probably get a second, small unit for little quickie jobs nearer the house.

Have fun. That's the object of the game.