Hourly cost to own/operate tractor?

/ Hourly cost to own/operate tractor? #51  
I don't have that many friends I would trust with my tractor and I don't want to lose the ones I do have. So for that reason you can't borrow my tractor.

And that about sums it up.

/ Hourly cost to own/operate tractor? #52  
Here's what I read in the opening, "
I just don't have enough tractor experience to have a good idea about this...Thanks for all replies!"

If all the analysis of cost, depreciation, etc. don't register...maybe you just stated why! If you let your best pal run your tractor buy him an owners manual so at least when he puts fuel in it it's not gasoline. And teach him how to bleed the fuel system, 'cause he'll need it one day

/ Hourly cost to own/operate tractor? #53  
Unfortunately I am now in the "nobody borrows my tractor" camp and the reason has nothing to do with my tractor.

I had a new truck a couple years ago. I made it known that nobody borrows my truck because I use it for work and need it to be in excellent condition. So most people never asked. Then a friend called me at work and asked if he could borrow it for one hour. Said he had to pick up some wood from HD and just needed to pull a rented trailer. I asked if anything would be put in the bed of the truck and he said no. I agreed.

3 hours later he is still a no show and I am calling his phone. He finally answers and asks if I am calling becasue I am ready to go home. I said it made no difference what I was planning to do he was 2 hours later than he told me he would be. So he finally brings it back.

The next day I'm washing the truck and notice a dent in the tailgate. I immediately knew what caused it. He put 2x6 boards in the trailer and when he turned a corner it hit the tailgate and lens cover. You could see the shape of the 2x in the dent.

I call him over to look at it and he goes on and on about how he didn't do it. Then I told him how he likely loaded the trailer, made the turn and dented the truck and he said yep that's what he did. Agreed to pay to fix it. Then made excuses about not having money and a few months later he moves out of state. That dent cost me $480 to get repaired.

I have no respect for a man that borrows something and doesn't return it in the same condition or better. Also have no respect for a man that doesn't keep his word.

I don't have that many friends I would trust with my tractor and I don't want to lose the ones I do have. So for that reason you can't borrow my tractor.

GOOD ADVICE!
PERFECTLY STATED!

/ Hourly cost to own/operate tractor? #54  
I learned my lesson the hard way too. I let some family members use my tractor and bush hog. I ended up with bend hydraulic lines on my loader from pushing over trees on top of chopping down 3-4" down trees with my non-heavy duty bush hog. I knew better because I had witnessed how they treated my uncle's tractor. I gave them the benefit of the doubt but it resulted in damage and abuse to my equipment. I let them all know that because of the poor treatment of my equipment I would no longer allow anyone to use my equipment.

/ Hourly cost to own/operate tractor?
Hi everyone - it has been a while since I first posted this question, but I just wanted to follow up and thank everyone for replying.

I have decided to take the advice of many people here and not lend out my tractor. After reading all the perspectives and experiences of others, that definitely seems like the best decision - both for my tractor and my friendships. Thanks again - without your input I would be lending out my tractor and it is only a matter of time before something happens...

/ Hourly cost to own/operate tractor? #56  
Some people just would not have the 480.00 to repair the truck they borrowed. If they did, they just might have a truck of their own. Usually the response would often have been, it's just a truck or it's just a tractor!

/ Hourly cost to own/operate tractor? #57  
Hi JPVV, I was going to suggest you loan yourself and the tractor (ie you operate it)...it might even strengthen a few of those friendships!

/ Hourly cost to own/operate tractor?
Hi JPVV, I was going to suggest you loan yourself and the tractor (ie you operate it)...it might even strengthen a few of those friendships!

That is what I told my good friend - I will run tractor and help him out as needed and he can give me a hand from time to time - more time with friends the better!