House for my Parents

/ House for my Parents #11  
Are things that bad in California that it takes that long to sell a house? People don't want to live there?

Anytime, anywhere, if it takes longer than whatever normal for that area happens to be, then either the asking price is to high or there are other problems-concerns. That applies to any place.

With over 37 million people living in the state, it is pretty hard to say that no one wants to live here. It would be fine with me if 32 million of them moved up to Canada. :rolleyes: You guys wouldn't mind if your countries population doubled would you?

/ House for my Parents #12  
Be careful about putting them on your property, we did the same thing about 15 years ago when we put the in-laws on our place, in a triple wide, they hold the mortgage on the house (house only) but I paid for the second septic (over 10K) and other improvements as well as most of the maintance. They now are getting very close to end of life, and the equity in the house will be split 3 ways and one third is my BIL, who is worthless. The BIL and SIL have been on welfare for the last 15 years. The house is on a conditional use permit, and can only be occupied by a family member. If the house is split up and moved, it has almost no value. I don't want my worthless BIL living on my property, but my wife thinks otherwise. If you feel some anger in this reply it may be there, as all this was not planned for 15 years ago when I said OK to the plan. On the up side having my wife so close to her parents, she has been able to do a lot for them in the way of dealing with the day to day of elder care.

/ House for my Parents #13  
Eddie, you are so lucky to have that opportunity ! I'll be watching how this comes along.... no doubt just as interesting as the rest of your projects.

x2. Congrats.

/ House for my Parents #14  
Eddie thats great. My folks are 600 miles from me and at the point in life where it is hard for me to be as much help as I want to be. To late for them to consider a move. I sure wish they were closer.

My only suggestion on your house plan is you better put in a BIG doggie door for those evening Oscar wants to curl up with the folks and watch TV. :eek:

MarkV

/ House for my Parents #15  
Very nice plans, congratulations.

My brother sold his house just north of San Fransisco fifteen years ago and it was a bear to sell even then due to base closings etc., another brother bailed a few years before that. Now my brothers and mother live all within six miles as do three of our four children with the other living eighteen miles; just can't beat a close family.

/ House for my Parents #16  
Looks like some real nice house plans.

/ House for my Parents #17  
Yes, we would mind. We will let California keep them. :)

Anytime, anywhere, if it takes longer than whatever normal for that area happens tobe, then either the asking price is to high or there are other problems-concerns. That applies to any place.

With over 37 million people living in the state, it is pretty hard to say that no one wants to live here. It would be fine with me if 32 million of them moved up to Canada. :rolleyes: You guys wouldn't mind if your countries population doubled would you?

/ House for my Parents
We got all the trenches dug for the drain and vent lines. Installed them and will get them covered up and compacted in a day or so. There are a few more lines to run under the slab, then I need to locate and dig footings to support the load of the beam that will span the great room and as well as the load bearing wall down the middle of the house.

I'm giving my dad the shopping list for rebar. 36 sticks of #4 and 70 sticks of #3. That should all be done this week. The pad will be treated for termites this week and we'll be ready for concrete some time next week.

Thanks,
Eddie
6.jpg

/ House for my Parents #20  
Eddie, I really like your plan, but was surprised to not see a toilet in the master bath. Of course, the hall bath is just outside the bedroom, but I'd expect a toilet in the master bath for later resale. There will come a time the house is sold or at least occupied by someone else, so that's a consideration even if your parents don't think they need it now. Also with those two bedrooms isolated at the far end of the house, I'd try to make it so I could close them off from the rest of the house with a door and eliminate heating/cooling costs. If they aren't being occupied, it seems useless to heat/cool them.

Just curious. . . will they keep the motorhome after the house is built? Have they been driving it back and forth to CA or has it stayed parked at your house for a long time?