How are front snowblowers mounted and powered?

/ How are front snowblowers mounted and powered? #11  
There has been a fab shop around here putting a hyd. motor& skid steer quick attach bucket mount on rear pto blower and then making a pto hyd pump tank - tank combo to go on the 3 point hitch. Need quick attach set up on loader bucket. Doesn't sound hard to put together. Sizing hyd. motor, tank and pto pump is the key.

/ How are front snowblowers mounted and powered? #12  
You have a 2.5 MILE driveway? :eek: That is some serious road clearing and maintenance. I guess you probably have a 7 or 8 ft snowblower for your tractor and that means one trip out and one back to your house?
Yep, 2.5 miles. I use a 64" ber Vac on my Kubota MX5100 but i also have a case 580B Backhoe. It only takes one trip out and back, unless it is windy then it is an all day job.
here is the google shot of my place , and the road in question.

22591 cesnick farm rd. frostburg md 21532 - Google Maps

/ How are front snowblowers mounted and powered? #13  
I have to disagree with some of the things said by another poster here. I can't say about other brands or smaller Kubotas but the l4240 can have the sub frame for the blower on the tractor and still use the front end loader. When you have an idea what you want and go to the dealer ask them how much work and what parts have to be removed, it's probably different between each model.

Secondly I don't see how having less ground clearence is a problem in snow on a driveway. Yes if you were going to use your tactor to skid logs out of the woods in the winter removing the sub frame wouldn't be much fun but if all your going to use your tractor for is snow blowing in the winter then I just don't see a problem. But you can decide, again ask each dealer.

As for fuel use, do SCUTs really use that much for this to be an issue? It's a blower, if it's connected up to your PTO it's going to need to be turned at a speed near 540. So what if you burn an extra 1/10 or so of a gallon each time you clear your driveway. Would you not add a second set of lights to see better at night because the extra load on the alternator would use more fuel? For me this just doesn't make the list of make or break items, maybe you feel differently.

Why I went with the front mount blower is I didn't want to face backwards and I wanted to leave the rear PTO free so I can run a 3 pt sand spreader or a back blade (or so I thought). After seeing how easy it is to remove the blower I'm going to make a front mounted blade that'll connect to the sub frame. I didn't check with Bobcat (they are a rebranded Kioti) but Kioti didn't offer a front mounted blower so an aftermarket blower was the only option.

So my tractor is bigger than you are looking at but here's how to connect it up. First is the sub frame. My guess is about a half to one hour to do. The front grill uard needs to be replaced with a plate that accepts the front sub frame pins. The rear slides into the front of the drawbar under the rear wheels. Then you connect up the PTO shaft to the mid PTO, very easy. Finally you raise the frame up and put in to two pins in the middle and two in the front.

The sub frame has a large tappered tab, maybe 12" wide and 6" think with a latch that locks it into place. To attach the blower you simply move a lever to release the latch and drive forward. Seconds to do. Then you connect up the PTO and the hydraulic lines for the chute and blower lift.

One advantage of the front blower is you can apply downforce to the blower. I got my plow truck stuck once (it's about the size of a town dumptruck with a 10' blade) because the snow had changed during a bad storm. The first 8" to 10" was wetter than the rest and had started to set up. When I got home and started to plow the blade would ride up on the lower layer of snow. The only way I could plow it was to push for about 10', back up, and take a second pass. Because of the hills on my driveway I couldn't always back up and finally got stuck. Because of that experience I decided I would get a tractor with a front blower. It's also why I've changed my mind from getting a rear blade to now having a front blade that I can apply down force to.

/ How are front snowblowers mounted and powered? #14  
Rear blowers are great, but my tractor has the seat facing forward, not sure about everyone else's tractors! lol :laughing:

I don't have a Go-go-Gadget-neck that is on a swivel, so I can't see turning around backwards for a hour.

You think for an hour is bad, try doing that year round. We've bales almost 2000 1800lb round bales this year. And it takes roughly 2-3 days/135 acres, And we get about 300-400 per 135 acres. Then we feed cattle in the feed lot all winter, i wish i had a go-go gadget neck lol. Cause i know i can look one way fine but not so much the other lol.:D

/ How are front snowblowers mounted and powered? #15  
   / How are front snowblowers mounted and powered? #16  
I bet you don't get a lot of unwanted people dropping in.

Occassionally, but they are usually hunters or on quads. Last night I sat on the porch and listened to a pack of coyotes howl for atleast a half hour. It was the only noise I could hear. Things like that make plowing the road well worth it.

/ How are front snowblowers mounted and powered? #17  
While I'm not as far out there as you I'm far enough, about 3/4 of a mile from almost anyone, out not to hear much. Hearing Wild Turkey's happens more often than cars from the closest highway. My last unwanted visitor was a Black bear wandering through the yard eating the black berries a month ago. Once winter hits though and the leaves fall I can occasionally hear the road.

/ How are front snowblowers mounted and powered? #18  
SCesnick,
You have a nice spot there. I wish my place was that far from the road. I do live in the sticks but right next a road. When my house was built that was what people wanted because there was no cars yet.

/ How are front snowblowers mounted and powered? #19  
I'm 60, but a lifetime of abuse and surgical scars means I measure my age in dog years, so I'm really about 120. A front mounted blower was a must.

OP asked about drive systems. Here's mine - a mid eighties L275 with a Kubota branded blower. Bought used and fixed up total under $5k (tractor and blower). Power comes off front of motor to an electric clutch driving a reducing double belt to a shaft that drives a double chain drive. Works better than I thought it would. Front vision is no problem. I put a blade on the rear but hardly use it. I just back drag in front of the garages with the back of the blower box.

In the first pic you can see the electric clutch just under the middle of the radiator cowl. the driven pully is lower to it's left and you can just make out the flex driveshaft going to the back of the blower. The blower itself looks like it was designed for a 3pt hitch. I don't know if this was a factory setup in its day - maybe pre-dating mid pto design.

copyofcimg3839.jpg

copyofcimg3850.jpg

I actually look forward to snow now. I used to push it with a bronco and it was a PITA.

cimg28827659457.jpg