How bad is shale?

/ How bad is shale?
I'm trenching about 14"x 20" around the edge where the spring flows. Took about an hour and a half, and I'm halfway around. It's amazing how this clay muck hardens up when it's dry.. I have some pipe so I guess I'll put it in, then bury it to around 20" thick. It'll still slope away from the shop.

Attachments

• IMG_4308gotshale.jpg
    IMG_4308gotshale.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 249
   / How bad is shale? #12  
If I had a trench like you do already done, I would line it with filter fabric, put the perf pipe in, fill it with drain rock and fold the filter fabric back over the top of the drain rock.

The shale might be free, but unless you know what the size range really is it may cost you more than you think in the long run. Drain rock is cheap, has known properties and is easy to work.

/ How bad is shale? #13  
I'm trenching about 14"x 20" around the edge where the spring flows. Took about an hour and a half, and I'm halfway around. It's amazing how this clay muck hardens up when it's dry.. I have some pipe so I guess I'll put it in, then bury it to around 20" thick. It'll still slope away from the shop.
That's the best way to deal with wet spots.

/ How bad is shale? #14  
If I had a trench like you do already done, I would line it with filter fabric, put the perf pipe in, fill it with drain rock and fold the filter fabric back over the top of the drain rock.

The shale might be free, but unless you know what the size range really is it may cost you more than you think in the long run. Drain rock is cheap, has known properties and is easy to work.
Good info. If his shale is like what is in my area, it will hold water in a wet spot, instead of draining it.

/ How bad is shale? #15  
Oh, geez..........my post count was 1313.........kinda superstitious.........so i'll add a nothing post.

Or I could change my address to "Mockingbird Lane".:laughing::laughing:

/ How bad is shale?
Dave, if it was an important location, I'd be with you 100%, but it's a no traffic spot where I just don't want my tires to sink in the mud. I might not even throw the pipe in. I don't know how to gauge the water flow, but I guessed it to be about 5 gal./min. when it's really springin.. It used to go thru the middle of my shop when I first built it, and the drought ended. I asked my plumber buddy what to do when it first happened, he said, "stock it." :laughing:

/ How bad is shale? #17  
Dave, if it was an important location, I'd be with you 100%, but it's a no traffic spot where I just don't want my tires to sink in the mud. I might not even throw the pipe in. I don't know how to gauge the water flow, but I guessed it to be about 5 gal./min. when it's really springin.. It used to go thru the middle of my shop when I first built it, and the drought ended. I asked my plumber buddy what to do when it first happened, he said, "stock it." :laughing:
I know you asked Dave the question, but, once it's dried up........it will be a 'traffic spot', cause your gonna mow it.

Move the water out of your way while you have the trench dug...........it will save headaches later on.

If you don't want the pipe and fabric.........you could do something like a 'dry creekbed'.............only channels water during wet seasons..........that requires larger rock, but presents other problems when mowing on both sides.

/ How bad is shale?
It'll be 20" thick where the water flows Don, I think the water will stay below the surface, it's only 1/2" or so when it runs. I keep going back and forth on the pipe, I have it so I should probably put it in there. The drive that goes to the shop needs to be raised about a foot in one section (about 75') so I'll have to get some gravel and top it all off. Even free stuff ends up costing $..
Thanks for the replies to all.

/ How bad is shale? #19  
Where I come from, Shale is the greatest thing that was ever made. It is naturally crushed stone, it is punky, and crumbles like Grandmas pie crust. if you have it on your land you got money in the bank. 90% of the roads around here are shale base. I don't think it would be sold if it was not bank run. take all you can get. That tractor you got will spread it around.

/ How bad is shale? #20  
When I hear "shale", I think "shell".:confused2:

Where we lived when I was little, Dad had a whiteish grey sea shell brought it to fill the driveway low spots. It kind of reminds me of oyster shells, but only about an inch x an inch and a half.

It really hurt when you walked on it barefooted.:mad:
hugs, Brandi