How bad is shale?

/ How bad is shale?
It really hurt when you walked on it barefooted.:mad:
hugs, Brandi
Thanks for the hug Brandi, I think that's a first for me here on TBN..:laughing:

Where I come from, Shale is the greatest thing that was ever made. It is naturally crushed stone, it is punky, and crumbles like Grandmas pie crust. if you have it on your land you got money in the bank. 90% of the roads around here are shale base. I don't think it would be sold if it was not bank run. take all you can get. That tractor you got will spread it around.

That's good to hear Davy, I don't know much about roadbed. After I first built and the rains came, the mud was up to the front axle for a while. It made waves as I went thru it.. many loads of rip-rap later, it got solid. I was worried about shale's reputation for eating up tires, but as somebody mentioned, it depends how hard it is. (and Howdy neighbor!)

/ How bad is shale? #22  
Some of us may be getting Shale and Slate interposed.:)

Shale is sedimentary.

Slate is a shale that has been metamorphosed by either heat or pressure. It is much harder than shale.:)

/ How bad is shale? #24  
Some of us may be getting Shale and Slate interposed.:)

Shale is sedimentary.

Slate is a shale that has been metamorphosed by either heat or pressure. It is much harder than shale.:)
That's why I asked the OP to take pictures of the 'shale' he has access to.

Different parts of the country call it different things. I have one neighbor that calls gravel.......shale, I have another neighbor that calls slate..........shale. Then theirs the other guy............etc.

/ How bad is shale? #25  
Thanks for the hug Brandi, I think that's a first for me here on TBN..:laughing:

That's good to hear Davy, I don't know much about roadbed. After I first built and the rains came, the mud was up to the front axle for a while. It made waves as I went thru it.. many loads of rip-rap later, it got solid. I was worried about shale's reputation for eating up tires, but as somebody mentioned, it depends how hard it is. (and Howdy neighbor!)
Ha..Ha, I didn't notice, you are right down the road. As far as the shale goes, our hunting club is called "Slate Stone." Like the name implies it is all old quarry's, and shale banks, so I know from shale:thumbsup:

/ How bad is shale? #26  
Don, even the term "Gravel" is used to cover a wide range of rock.:)

/ How bad is shale? #27  
Don, even the term "Gravel" is used to cover a wide range of rock.:)

Yes sir, it sure is. But that's another thread:laughing::laughing:

Pics of jake98's free stuff would help a lot.

/ How bad is shale?
It's brownish, I think it's shale. The excavator was here this morning to see where to dump it. He said they have to get rid of 2000 yds... probably not the time to be greedy.. :D
I'll post a pic tomorrow when I get home from work. Back to digging, the rain stopped. and this may be tractor-blaspheme, but digging gets monotonous..

/ How bad is shale? #29  
If it's what you say and for free you may have to find other projects. :thumbsup:

If it's too lumpy a sheep foot type packer can do a nice job on it followed by vibration.:)

/ How bad is shale? #30  
It's brownish, I think it's shale. The excavator was here this morning to see where to dump it. He said they have to get rid of 2000 yds... probably not the time to be greedy.. :D
I'll post a pic tomorrow when I get home from work. Back to digging, the rain stopped. and this may be tractor-blaspheme, but digging gets monotonous..

Jake98,:)
Digging never gets monotonous.:p Hauling away the spoils is what is monotonous.;)
hugs, Brandi