How best to adapt skid steer grapple to KL120?

/ How best to adapt skid steer grapple to KL120?
Highbeam, you are correct about the grinder and the middle hook. It may have taken more than a couple of minutes though as I had it mounted on a supporting plate. 5 minutes minimum. But, that was just an excuse. I've always lusted after a real grapple just like CT Tree Guy has. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Attachments

• 841537-IMG_5331 cropped bucket small file.jpg
    841537-IMG_5331 cropped bucket small file.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 177
<font color="blue"> You say this thing is light duty but if it is made for SS loaders then I would think it is pretty stout. </font>

We'll see. It was fairly advertized as a "light duty root grapple" which was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. It weighs only half of what some of the other grapples weigh so it must have less steel somewhere. I wasn't too concerned because I'm not using it to clean up after Katrina or dig rocks out of my yard or move 30 inch trees around. It will really be a brush grapple. If it seems strong enough I'll use it to bust up roots and push over small trees too but I'll be happy if it just makes the brush/toppings clean up easier.

/ How best to adapt skid steer grapple to KL120? #13  
Hi,
As long as you have the valves with the yellow handle next to the 3 PT lift lever, you can use that valve. Basically all that valve does is turn on and off the hyd flow and change it's direction. We use them all the time for shutes on the snowblowers and angling cyl on grader blades etc.
You will have to route the hoses up the boom and down under the tractor to the back. It's a pain but it's cheap and will get you up and running. You will use A to close and B to open or vice versa as you indicated.
Horst Welding through Cummin and Bricker also make QA plate for CK series.
Good Luck
KiotiDave

<font color="blue"> As long as you have the valves with the yellow handle next to the 3 PT lift lever, you can use that valve. </font>

I'm a bit confused. I am half a world away from the tractor right now so cannot check. However, I don't recall any yellow handle on the back of my CK20. When I attach the BH I just plug in the QCs to the two rear outlets that were installed with the BH then move the power beyond lever to the A position. My BH is then active. When I disconnect, I just put the power beyond lever in neutral, let of the hydraulic pressure by moving the hoe levers a bit and then disconnect the hoses. Done. Where does the yellow handled valve come in to play? I don't believe I've ever seen it.

/ How best to adapt skid steer grapple to KL120? #15  
Hi,
I'm Sorry, I don't mean to confuse. When you hook up you hoe and turn on the Hydraulic flow to it, do you turn a valve under the fender? or do you move a lever next to you on the right side(seated on tractor) into the "A or B" detent? If you have this lever you have double acting rear remotes, which you can use for a lot of different equipment. A straight power beyond will not allow you to change the direction of the oil flow. The double acting valve will. It is an added lever right next to the lever that lifts and lowers your 3 pt hitch arms.
I hope this helps.
KiotiDave

Yes, that clarifies it. I was confused by the yellow valve thing and thought you were referring to something accessed near the 3PT itself. I see now you were referring to the position control lever which controls the 3PT.

I do nothing under the fender when attaching my BH. I have to move the lever (Yellow!!) inboard of the position control lever on the right fender. It has position A forward, off in the middle and position B rearward. I've only used the A and off positions but my dealer informed me that if I accidently put it in the B position that the BH controls would work but be reversed. That sounds to me like the double acting valve. I've always referred to it as the power beyond valve but I guess that is not technically correct. Thanks for the info.

Attachments

• 841568-power beyond valve.jpg
    841568-power beyond valve.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 165
I'm going to give it a try. Looking at the valve and FEL control arrangement, I might be able to operate the FEL with my left hand (coming across my body) while controling the grapple with my right hand on the "yellow whatever it's called valve". If I can get reasonably good at it I'll save a day's work and the $500 for the diverter. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

One more question guys: if I add say 12 feet of hydraulic lines and a new grapple hydraulic ram, do I need to do anything with hydraulic fluid before attaching to the tractor the first time? I was assuming, but wanted to double check, that I could just hook the lines up and that the first time I opened the valve fluid would fill the new system. I would then check the hydraulic fluid level in the tractor and top off if necessary. I am I correct?

/ How best to adapt skid steer grapple to KL120? #20  
Hi,
Yes, once you hook things up you want to run everything(up, down in and out) through their full cycles several times. Let the machine set for a minute or two and check you transmission dipstick and fill if needed. You should not have to do it every time, just the first time you hook it up. I'm sure you will get the hang of using that valve for the money it will save. Keep practicing.
KiotiDave