How best to adapt skid steer grapple to KL120?

/ How best to adapt skid steer grapple to KL120? #21  
"I might be able to operate the FEL with my left hand (coming across my body) while controling the grapple with my right hand"

This would be fun to watch, what about the beer in your hand. I do not see this actually happening. You will find that you can push a huge pile of stuff into the open grapple and then move your hand from the loader stick to close the jaws on that pile and then go back to the loader and pick up the pile for transport. No real need to load and grapple at the same time. Even with a diverter, you can't do all functions at the same time.

Hose is cheap, I'll be anxiously following the thread. The valve and QD setup you have with the yellow handle is most often referred to as a remote. You have a single pair of remotes.

/ How best to adapt skid steer grapple to KL120?
Highbeam, I think I'll be able to handle the beer hydraulics hands free as I have worked out a system with a remote straw from the reservoir can on top of my hat. If that is uncomfortable I'll install a remote keg cooler on top of the ROPS.

You call my BH hydraulic set up a single remote. I don't know technically how to distinguish that from a power beyond valve. The dealer had already installed the BH and hydraulics when I purchased the tractor so I did not find out what was involved. I basically have two quick connect outlets on a plate that is attached just below the fuel tank on the right rear of the tractor. I just hook up the BH quick connects and use the "yellow handle" to send power to the BH. I assumed that was called a power beyond set up but now it looks like I have a single set of remotes. What is the difference? Why do you CK30 guys have to crawl under your tractors to activate the BH?

/ How best to adapt skid steer grapple to KL120? #23  
Check out the KB2375 assist thread only a couple lines down in this very section. There is a good discussion with photos on the differences between a remote and an actual power beyond type setup. The hot ticket to power the backhoe is with a set of remote hydraulics just as you have with the yellow handle. The remote allows some other cool devices to be used when the BH is not needed.

So far there are only two ways to power the backhoe, a remote with the yellow handle, or the non valved power beyond type where you go under the tractor to energize the circuit which kills the 3ph circuit.

You're in luck, you've already got the hot ticket.

/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Sometimes even the dumb get lucky.

/ How best to adapt skid steer grapple to KL120? #25  
Morning IslandTractor
If your dealer can fabricate a QA adaptor for $100 ask to see it as it is built. I just mounted an ATI quick attach to my CK30 (same model for the CK20) and it cost $650. But it really changes what the front of the tractor can do.
As for how to power the grapple you can't really go wrong if you choose the W R Long dirverter valve setup. It is much easier to control the grapple with the fingers of one hand leaving the other hand free for the beer. The beer tubing idea is good but if you hit an unexpected bump and the tube falls from your mouth you will look like you wet your pants and you know how neighbors talk. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
The factory knob on the joystick is just glued on but becareful when you remove it. Hold the shaft so it can't turn with one hand whiule you twist the knob off with the other. KitoiJohn did a post about two years ago about rebuilding the joystick control. While he makes it look easy it might be better to avoid the rebulding step if you can.
You can see what is involved with the install of this kit at:
Diverter and Grapple install

/ How best to adapt skid steer grapple to KL120? #26  
Island,

I just put a grapple on my DK55 and use the rear remotes to operate it. Just plug your hoses into the pair you want to use and connect the other end to the grapple. It took me about 10 minutes to get the hoses routed under the tractor and tied off to the loader. Use the remote control to your right to open/close the grapple jaws.

I usually drive into the pile, stop, close grapple jaws. It takes about .3 seconds to move your hand from the joystick control to the remote control. Very easy and saved a bunch of money in the process. My two 19 ft hoses with quick connect fittings on both ends cost $150.

Have fun!!!

Thanks ojca11,

I have been convinced by Highbeam and KiotiDave to try the rear remote option before installing a diverter valve. So, I am just waiting to hear from the manufacturer what size fittings I need on a hydraulic connector hose and I will then set out to find someplace in the Boston area to get a hose set up like you have.

To be honest, I did not realize until this thread that I had a rear remote. The dealer had already installed it on the tractor before I saw it and because I wasn't charged extra for it I presumed it was just a power beyond set up. Now I know that not all CK20s have the "yellow handle" so it is clear I do have the rear remote option to do as you have done.

<font color="blue"> The beer tubing idea is good but if you hit an unexpected bump and the tube falls from your mouth you will look like you wet your pants and you know how neighbors talk. </font>

Hey, it will be a cold day in **** before I drop the beer tubing. But, just in case I will attach a velcro head band to hold it in place and also adapt a demand valve for the mouth piece so it won't leak.

Thanks for the advice on the FEL controller handle. I'm going to try the rear remote option first to see how it works for me. I suspect it will be all I need.

/ How best to adapt skid steer grapple to KL120? #29  
Hey Island,
Keep in mind if you take your loader off you may want a extra set of couplers by the loader couplers so you don't have to keep on fishing you hoses out from under the tractor. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I make my own hoses so if you want a set sent up just shout.

Vermont,

The cost of the adapter plate is $300, not $100. Still, that is about half the cost of some of the others I've seen as you pointed out. I asked the manufacturer for an idea of what they would do to make it. It is not a nifty ATI Tachall type device but rather a standard adapter plate originally intended to be welded onto an implement to make it QA compatable. They will modify that plate by welding on the appropriate ears so it will accept the KL120 pin mount on one side and the grapple QA on the other. I know they are going to get a Kioti bucket to match up but I cannot say that I know exactly what it will look like. They sent me the attached photo to show the piece they will start with. It is not the tube steel type structure ATI uses so that explains the difference in cost. I don't know what the pros and cons are compared to the TachAll style but this will be the fastest way to get me up and running.

Attachments

• 843254-Millonzi Adapter_Plate.jpg
    843254-Millonzi Adapter_Plate.jpg
    31.1 KB · Views: 144