How can I Dig a 24-30" trench for wires and water?

/ How can I Dig a 24-30" trench for wires and water? #11  
Re: How can I Dig a 24-30\" trench for wires and water?

I'll second that. Inspectors around here don't like water lines and electric lines in the same ditch. They will allow it if there's enough space, and the water line is below the level of the electric line.

The GlueGuy

/ How can I Dig a 24-30" trench for wires and water? #12  

Any hint as to how one would arrive at a 'cubic foot' apart? Cubic foot is a measure of volume, not a measure of distance.

/ How can I Dig a 24-30" trench for wires and water? #13  

Woodstock,

Don't know how handy you are - but you may be able to make yourself an extension to the shaft of the middlebuster ... on my sub-soiler it's all just bolted together.

Just a thought ...

/ How can I Dig a 24-30" trench for wires and water? #14  
Re: How can I Dig a 24-30" trench for wires and water?

Woodstock,

Although I am one of those guys that feels, if it can't be done with the Kubota, it can't be done. I think you would be better off renting the trencher. I dug about the same trench you are talking with my backhoe and it sure does tear up some ground. I could not have done it without the backhoe unless I wanted to send much more time with a shovel. And lets anyone digging in the future know they have gotten to close.

What we do, is back fill about 6" of clean fill, then lay 2x6 PT lumber in the trench to protect the lines from any rock as the dirt settles. Also helps distribute the load of any heavy equipment in the future. The 2x6 will let anyone digging in the future know they have gotten to close.

MarkV

/ How can I Dig a 24-30" trench for wires and water?

Johnny,
How much costing?

Bx2200-(Altered,-Crop).jpg

Winnipeg, Manitoba
canadagoose.gif

2001 BX2200 (30 hrs)

/ How can I Dig a 24-30" trench for wires and water?

Patrick
I've never seen one up close can you or someone else post a close up picture of middlebuster

Bx2200-(Altered,-Crop).jpg

Winnipeg, Manitoba
canadagoose.gif

2001 BX2200 (30 hrs)

/ How can I Dig a 24-30" trench for wires and water? #17  

I hate to state the obvious but I've learned some lessons about trenching. The short version is this; if you don't own the right equipment, pay someone to do it. I borrowed a walk-behind trencher once. It worked me to death (do you have rocks everywhere like I do?) and I ended up repairing the thing too. Where I was surprised was how reasonable it was to get one dug for you. I just had one done and coincidentally it was about 100 ft out to a greenhouse I had built. I had everything ready and he dug the trench, buried the water and wire and he even hooked up the water for me. In ten minutes he covered it up, packed it down and left. For $140, in an hour I was DONE! Worth every penny. No picking up rental equipment that doesn't work right, fighting with rocks etc. I suggest you get a price. It may be higher where you are but don't rule it out. There are so many things I LOVE to do with my tractor...digging a trench isn't one of them.

/ How can I Dig a 24-30" trench for wires and water? #18  

Woodstock, go to http://www.northerntool.com and "search" for item#2501832 for a picture of a middle buster. I notice they have their numbers mixed up on their web site since that's the picture of the middle buster when the item# is supposed to be 250183 while 2501832 is the combination middle buster/subsoiler. 2501831 is the subsoiler and you can see a picture of it, too.

Bird

/ How can I Dig a 24-30" trench for wires and water? #19  

Try this one too:

mbp36.gif

The picture is from the WorkSaver Web Site

If you could get it all done for $140 as a previous poster suggests then that may be the best way - that's about the cost of a middle-buster after all. Maybe I'm a ********* but I prefer to do it myself! Give me a thousand hours on my tractor and maybe I'll change my mind - it's still fun right now.

Patrick

/ How can I Dig a 24-30" trench for wires and water? #20  

beenthere,
Haa, that's what the thing said. I didn't much like the was it was written. It means to have the water one foot deeper and then one foot to either one side or the other of the electric. They can't be in the same ditch without being seperated at least by that amount.

18-32460-1250sig.gif