HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS?

/ HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS? #21  
Government is shut down - your probably good to go. :)

D.

/ HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS? #23  
Government is shut down - your probably good to go. :)

D.

YEAH! IMG_1188.jpg

This baby gets golf balls at 600yds...

Last edited:
   / HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS? #24  
The Crosman/Benjamin Marauder is a very accurate pre-charged pneumatic air rifle (PCP) to at least 50 yards, well beyond with practice and good optics, and is virtually silent due to the factory shroud. Crosman | Airguns | Rifles | PCP | Marauder Rifle (.22) It is pretty much mostly American made. :)

You charge it to 3000 psi with a scuba or carbon fiber tank, or do it the hard/manly way with a special hand pump. You can also use nitrogen, if you have tanks on the spread with adequate pressure (2600 is fine). For blackbird, the .22 is more wind resistant with better retained energy. You'd be using about 14.6 grain lead pellets doing about 900 fps, although there are tin-based green alternatives, if that's a concern. There are no open sights, so decent glass is a must.

I have a couple variations and recommend it highly based on personal experience, although I use it more for gophers and ground squirrels.

It would be more quiet and a lot cheaper than 12 ga. or propane, and you'd likely be a heckuva marksman after a week or so.

An alternative would be to find interested airgunners in your area, and open the field to them on a written permission basis. I could probably find some volunteers if you're so inclined. Some of them would arrive with much fancier air rifles. Air gunners are a breed apart, and you'd probably find them to be mature, sober, safe, and agreeable. Otherwise, you'd still be the one with the shotgun... :laughing:

/ HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS? #25  
Blackbird pie:thumbsup:

Sing a Song of Sixpence
(Four and twenty blackbirds baked in a pie)

/ HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS? #26  
Two or Three years ago near Bebee ,Ark there was a large amount of rice birds and black birds causing a mess on cars and houses. New housing area in former nesting area of the birds may of been the cause.
News reporters were showing it on local news. One evening some one set off a string of firecrackers causing the birds to fly into each other and the houses and then again the reporters were running around showing close ups of dead birds on house roofs and lawns in the area. By chance there about 60 miles away in back water of Ark. river there was a large fish kill and so immediately connected to the birds dying
fish.
The game and fish had to admit they had caused the fish kill to get rid of some strange fish not native to the state. disappointing the reporters who were ready to publish aliens were the cause.

But there pride was salvaged when some one discovered a water well was flowing with natural gas and they then jumped on this just had to be a Frac. job gone wrong and then dug up all negative posting of Nat. gas drilling. But some reporter asked the owner about the water and gas problem the owner stated been going on for 40 years and they used the gas for home use. All this in about one week.
Sold thousands of newspapers so all is well.
So Egon I agree birds are bad but only doing there thing. soon all will pass. and something else will show up.
ken

/ HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS? #27  
Egon, I have often smiled at your sense of humour. This one too. The four and twenty blackbirds were not actually "baked" in the pie as the song goes, but the pie was baked and then the live birds put in the base (that was the hard part) with the previously cooked lid put on top, so that "When the pie was opened the birds began to sing" and it was considered a dainty dish to put before the King. Apparently such pies were considered to be an essential part of the fare provided by a good host once upon a time.............. and we all know that most good stories begin "Once upon a time,,,"

/ HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS? #28  
Now that is something I didn't know, thanks!:thumbsup:

/ HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS? #29  
Spend lots of money on BB habitat, create a BB friendly environment with food, housing, nesting boxes etc. Based on experience with this method of attracting "good" birds to my property the BB will all disappear never to be seen again.

/ HOW CAN I GET RID OF BLACKBIRDS? #30  
Not sure this is totally true... NPWRC :: Controlling Blackbird Damage Scroll to the bottom of the page. It is not really clear if you need a federal permit under certain conditions.

Can't imagine having your crops destroyed while you get a permit. If you keep reading it gives ideas on how to "control" the blackbirds.

Believe what you want, but I personally know of a gentleman who ended up being charged by authorities for this very thing. My only point is that I would consult with someone other than folks on an internet forum (myself included) before I took action that might potentially involve federal charges. Just my two cents.