how can northern tools compete against harbr freight?

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #61  
Let me see, they can put a man in space and build virtually all the products of our most valuable company (Apple)... Is there an explanation other than racism or wingnut political philosophy to explain your chauvinist view?

Are you kidding? China is very well known for producing some of the worst products in the world. Poisoned dog food, brittle/soft steel, lead tainted paint, and the list goes on. My feelings don't have a thing to do with race, they're based on a known history of poor quality, nothing more. Well, I do happen to think USA products should be made in the USA, in support of the American worker, but you know how that goes... don't you?

Is there an explanation why you (as a dealer) would be so supportive of China-made products? Could it have aything to do with increased profits, largely due to reduced labor costs? BTW: You do realize that China is a Communist country don't you?

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #62  
As far as I'm concerned, if it's made in China it's not high quality, no matter who's name is on it..

I'd certainly rather buy American made, but . . . when I had plantar faciitis, I went to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes, and the young salesman there sold me on some sneakers made in China. My foot problem was better immediately. So a week later, I went back and got another identical pair, so I could swap them out and only wear them every other day. They are now over 3 years old, each pair has been through the washing machine at least 3 or 4 times and the only wear is to the soles and they are certainly far from being worn out. Best shoes I ever wore. So last month, I bought 2 new pair. I still wear the old ones doing yard work, taking the dog for a walk in the woods, etc. Definitely, the best shoes I ever owned, and made in China.

Of course, they've made some cheap stuff, but so has Japan and so has the USA at times.

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #63  
I'd certainly rather buy American made, but . . . when I had plantar faciitis, I went to a shoe store that specializes in running shoes, and the young salesman there sold me on some sneakers made in China. My foot problem was better immediately. So a week later, I went back and got another identical pair, so I could swap them out and only wear them every other day. They are now over 3 years old, each pair has been through the washing machine at least 3 or 4 times and the only wear is to the soles and they are certainly far from being worn out. Best shoes I ever wore. So last month, I bought 2 new pair. I still wear the old ones doing yard work, taking the dog for a walk in the woods, etc.

I won't/can't argue that the Chinese aren't capable of making good products, but based on their track record and my support of USA made products, I'll continue to look at all China-made products as being sub-par and perhaps even dangerous. Except perhaps for Chinese food, which I happen to like.

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #64  
Except perhaps for Chinese food, which I happen to like.

Aah, yes. My wife and I are quite fond of some Chinese buffets. Do you reckon there's any similarity between what we call "Chinese" food and and what they actually eat in China, and is any of what we eat actually made or produced in China?:laughing::laughing:

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #65  
MasseyWV said:
Are you kidding? China is very well known for producing some of the worst products in the world. Poisoned dog food, brittle/soft steel, lead tainted paint, and the list goes on. My feelings don't have a thing to do with race, they're based on a known history of poor quality, nothing more. Well, I do happen to think USA products should be made in the USA, in support of the American worker, but you know how that goes... don't you?

Is there an explanation why you (as a dealer) would be so supportive of China-made products? Could it have aything to do with increased profits, largely due to reduced labor costs? BTW: You do realize that China is a Communist country don't you?

No US company has ever poisoned the population right? Read the history of the FDA as a primer. All US companies seek to provide safe and effective products first and think of profits as a secondary consideration. Right? At least the Chinese execute evil businessmen who prey on the public with illegal schemes. I'd personally like to have seen a few Wall St bankers strung up as examples.

I'm not a dealer and don't know where you got that notion. I'm not pushing Chinese goods either, just noting that they are capable of manufacturing quality tools (we are discussing HF not dog food). I own two Mikwaukee portaband saws. One made here and the other in China. Virtually identical quality. The HF portaband saw is crap in comparison to either Milwaukee but that has nothing to do with being Chinese but rather that there is a market for cheap bandsaws so the Chinese build those too. HF built its business on cheap Chinese tools because there is a market for lower quality tools. (Dewalt and Milwaukee should rejoice that lower quality tools are often sufficient or Makita, Bosch and Fein would have wiped them out).

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #66  
No US company has ever poisoned the population right? Read the history of the FDA as a primer. All US companies seek to provide safe and effective products first and think of profits as a secondary consideration. Right? At least the Chinese execute evil businessmen who prey on the public with illegal schemes. I'd personally like to have seen a few Wall St bankers strung up as examples.

I'm not a dealer and don't know where you got that notion. I'm not pushing Chinese goods either, just noting that they are capable of manufacturing quality tools (we are discussing HF not dog food). I own two Mikwaukee portaband saws. One made here and the other in China. Virtually identical quality. The HF portaband saw is crap in comparison to either Milwaukee but that has nothing to do with being Chinese but rather that there is a market for cheap bandsaws so the Chinese build those too. HF built its business on cheap Chinese tools because there is a market for lower quality tools. (Dewalt and Milwaukee should rejoice that lower quality tools are often sufficient or Makita, Bosch and Fein would have wiped them out).

So you're not a dealer. I was wrong and I'll give you that one. However, I stand by my assertion that China-made products are not to be trusted.

I suspected that you'd pull the USA companies also did wrong card and refuse to argue the point back and forth until the end of time, which seems to happen here ad-nauseam, but I will say this... I support America, not China, and when the crap hits the fan over global resources (and it eventually will), I suspect that you will too.

As for the capabilities of the Chinese people, see my previous response to Bird.

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #67  
Aah, yes. My wife and I are quite fond of some Chinese buffets. Do you reckon there's any similarity between what we call "Chinese" food and and what they actually eat in China, and is any of what we eat actually made or produced in China?:laughing::laughing:

I've often wondered if there was any real similarity between the Americanized Chinese food and the real thing. As for where it's made... your guess is as good as mine. :laughing:

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #68  
How can Northern Tool compete against Harbor Freight? Simple I will use your vise prices as an example:
Northern Tool $129
Harbor Freight $52
My estimated wholesale cost $30
Northern Tool makes $99 on the sale, Harbor Freight makes $22. In simple fuzzy math calculations :confused2: Harbor Freight has to sell 4 1/2 vises
to equal one vise sale at Northern Tool. Also because NT has less sales volume they need lower inventory, smaller wearhouse space,
and fewer sales people, etc. all which means additional profit. So the answer is lower volume and higher profit. I would say Northern Tool
is laughing all the way to the bank. :laughing::laughing::laughing:
Ken

Bingo! We have a businessman in our presence. Profit is not a dirty word. If you make a profit then you can pay taxes and support our social programs.....and we all win! Win Win. Who'da thunk it?

Kudo's to you Ken! Good to know everyone has not lost sight of the business principles that built this country. Low prices aren't everything. Unprofitable business plans are a dime a dozen.

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #69  
BTW: You do realize that China is a Communist country don't you?

Communist country = easy to control/brutalize workforce = higher profits

Nothing else makes it onto the accounting spreadsheet.

As labour costs in China have increased (relatively speaking), the threat being used is to take the work to Vietnam.

(next) Communist country = easy to control/brutalize workforce = higher profits

The above summation does not represent my personal views, but rather how the global corporations that run our planet regard Communism. It adds to their bottom line, nothing more, nothing less.

Rgds, D.

/ how can northern tools compete against harbr freight? #70  
Communist country = easy to control/brutalize workforce = higher profits

Nothing else makes it onto the accounting spreadsheet.

As labour costs in China have increased (relatively speaking), the threat being used is to take the work to Vietnam.

(next) Communist country = easy to control/brutalize workforce = higher profits

The above summation does not represent my personal views, but rather how the global corporations that run our planet regard Communism. It adds to their bottom line, nothing more, nothing less.

Rgds, D.

I'm not so sure "communist country" has too much to do with low-cost labor. But there is little doubt that companies move operations to reduce production costs. Labor and other overheads are cheaper in many areas of the world. They aint gonna move to the highest cost countries. We may not like it....but that's the situation we have today. Global economy....and some other countries are hungrier for work than we have been. Now.....maybe we can figure out a way to work smarter or tax some of those manufactures that import and / or dump into our economy? ....and quit shooting ourselves in the foot?