How do I fix my plow?

/ How do I fix my plow?
Actually I agree. Walmart didn't have the right bolts so yesterday I went and bought several grade 5 and grade 8 bolts. I'm just going to plow slowly in 2wd. I always say that my land is rock with a fine sprinkling of dirt on top, and this is just one of the consequences!

I think you have a few choices.

buy lots of bolts and replace as needed
buy a grade 8 bolt... don't know if Walmart has these. Risks twisting plow or busting something on tractor.
plow more shallowly and when a rock is found maybe it'll bounce over it and after soil is loosened around it it'll come out on some future pass
plow in 2 wheel drive and dig out rock when you loose traction or raise it up and go over it

I think that the plow is doing its job...when you hit an apparently immovable object, it breaks.
trying to pull a big rock out of the ground with a plow is not what it was designed to do.

Based on prior posts and information, I think this is where you are...not what you wanted to hear, but likely the reality.

/ How do I fix my plow? #22  
Good approach. Suggestion, when you hang and lose traction on a rock, try LIFTING the 3ph and maybe the rock will come up that way. Lifting UP successfully requires less force than PULLING forward. If you have a FEL, you can put rocks in it as you go to get them out of the field. Having a chain to assist in lifting rocks that are difficult to pick up or slide into the FEL is a must...connect chain to grab hooks on FEL...with a tip of rock in bucket, curl to lift and get it into bucket.

Good luck...it'll be a lot of work!!

/ How do I fix my plow? #23  
I use grade 8 bolts from Tractor Supply (the gold ones) and go thru lots of these with my Ford 3 bottom. Buy them by the pound. I know your plow is different, but generally, same concept. Its a fine line between having a shear strong enough to allow the plow to work, but weak enough to prevent damage when an obstacle is hit. I break lot of shears, but it is dependent on the soil and where I plow. It can be frustrating. But the more often the area is plowed, the less likely you will hit something. My advice is to use grade 8, you could drill it out and go up a size slightly, but that is a risk. But go slow, keep you hand on the lift lever, and you foot near the clutch and be quick if you feel resistance. Start out shallow, especially if you are in an area with rocks. And wait for some rain to soften the soil.

I had a plow without any shear protection, and the first time I used it, I broke 5 grade 8, 5/8" bolts holding the frame together in one loud pop. I replaced all of these and the second time I used it, I broke them again and also bent the crap out of the main frame. Needless to say, that plow was toast. My point is, some soil is just too rocky to plow easily, no matter what. It can be done but will take time to work the soil, to find the rocks, and to improve it yearly. And keep a pocket full of grade 8 bolts in the meantime.

You could also use some other implement first to rip up things, like a box blade with rippers. Anything to loosen up the soil will help you.

/ How do I fix my plow?
Thanks, everyone. Armed today with patience, two wheel drive, and a bunch of shear bolts, I was able to finish plowing. Plowing is actually pretty fun on the passes that go smoothly!

/ How do I fix my plow? #25  
I agree! In nice soil, it's very cool. When I pull my 3 bottom through rich soil, just watching and smelling the turned earth is about as good as it gets on a tractor. Then reality strikes when I hit a rock and hear that pin snap.
One bit of advice, after you plow, use a drag harrow to smooth things if you plan to leave it a while. Or those turned over clumps will harden and when you do finally get around to driving over it again, it will beat the crap out of you. It's like driving over a field of concrete blocks! Smooth it while it's soft!

/ How do I fix my plow? #26  
So good to hear...the first and most difficult is now done. I'd kinda suggest you plow it again...at a cross angle from your first pass...those rocks you didn't get the first time will be looser now and you can get them while the soil is loose around them...waiting until after a rain and soil is again packed around them will make it more difficult next time. The looser soil should reduce traction, thus fewer busted bolts. If it's too loose, you can try 4wd again.

Note...it's so much here on TBN to tell other folks that they should go back into the tractor seat:tractor:

Thanks, everyone. Armed today with patience, two wheel drive, and a bunch of shear bolts, I was able to finish plowing. Plowing is actually pretty fun on the passes that go smoothly!

/ How do I fix my plow?
You mean I'm going to have to plow again AND drag a harrow??? All right!!!

/ How do I fix my plow? #28  
ddb123 said:
You mean I'm going to have to plow again AND drag a harrow??? All right!!!

Yes. And pick out rocks too make plowing better next time.