How do you chain down YOUR tractor?

/ How do you chain down YOUR tractor? #21  
I use 4 10,000 lb straps to 4 corners must try to put straps to hold any bucket or implement as whell as the tractor my 20'
trailer has 4 Dhooks per side pluse rub rail with stake pockets so can normaly find a spot, on the rear of the tractor I use the ROPs mt at the axel to hook up
leave tractor in gear with brake on. think it would take something pretty radical to take my 5000 lb tractor off the trailer. and I tow mine alot

I hate straps for securing equipment with wheels or tracks. The straps are advertised at 10,000 lb but that is their breaking strength. The actual working load limit is usually 3,333 lb. Four of them on your 5,000 tractor is sufficient rating wise but two would not be. The problem with straps is they fray, abrade, and weaken over time with exposure to the elements and rubbing on things. Chains cost a little more to buy up front but are way stronger and last forever if cared for properly.

/ How do you chain down YOUR tractor? #22  
you are rite straps do fray but are much easer to use than chains and you need to use common sense whare you
put your straps and how tight you pull them and this is for say 50hp or less tractor and equip. im not hauling a 10 thousand lb plus peace of equipment and in realty my tractor sets on my trailer just fine with no danger of rolling or flipping off as i said put tractor in gear with brakes on not goin anywhere and I drive with common sense the theme hear is common sense, and I pull my tractor all over the state of Michigan and have never felt like ive needed more. :thumbsup:

/ How do you chain down YOUR tractor? #23  
I use four chains one from the axel of each wheel as it is the most secure way to hold the tractor I have been the victim traveling behind when machinery came off the back of a trailer at highway speeds. "NOT FUN" playin dodge it in heavy traffic with trucks/tankers/buses not to mention all those drivers of the cars who basically haven't a clue to begin with.

Straps are for holding very light loads with no edges what so ever and maybe to tie down light attachment like the loader bucket or maybe a light backhoe attachment that has no locking point on the tractor I would not recommend the use of one for securing the tractor itself no matter the weight or size.

So far I haven't lost anything yet and considering that I also lock my binders with a small strap I doubt I will anytime soon!

/ How do you chain down YOUR tractor? #24  
I put a clevis in the draw bar and have D rings on each side of the trailer. With a chain made to the right length to put the tractor in the correct spot on the trailer, I pull up until it is tight. Then boom the front down.

/ How do you chain down YOUR tractor? #25  
for your tractor straps would work fine and you have to remember to find the rite balance for tractor location on the trailer, then mark some reference point, and straps can last a lifetime also if used with common sense a good 4'' strap is plenty thick just need to watch sharp corners, I am not a heavy equipment hauler I just haul my 40hp tractor and a few implements all over and a lot as I do a few foodplots a yr make no mistake chain is the heavyst and most PIA to use but most secure may to fasten your tractor down do you need it probly not but only you can decide for yourself me I use straps and will continue to

/ How do you chain down YOUR tractor? #26  
I can still hear the guy who lost his expensive new JD that day on the highway after it came off and caused a multi vehicle accident He said he couldn't understand how it came loose. I looked at the trailer and saw the broken straps and told him the expensive lesson here was that chains and binders wont stretch break or come loose they wont cut on sharp edges and need no adjustment just because they got a little wet! So in short he learned an expensive lesson with 4 cars one tractor trailer and a totaled tractor which by the way I hope your insured for because sooner or later everyone I know who has used ratchet straps finds the weak point and its just a matter of luck when you do if you loose the load or not.

/ How do you chain down YOUR tractor? #27  
well in that case you better watch some ice road truckers cause most of there loads are secured with you guessed it ratchet straps but guess there doing it wrong to I guess common sense will prevail on my part but if ya feel the need for chains have at it JUST DONT KNOCK MY CHOICE because 9x outa 10 straps will be fine end of story

/ How do you chain down YOUR tractor? #28  
I've never seen Ice Road Truckers, so can't comment on their tie downs. But what I see on large trucks around here is: if it has treads or wheels, it has chains. Everything else is straps, but with the bed-mounted ratchet winches, not ratchet straps. I only see ratchet straps on the "little guys' trailers."

Bruce

/ How do you chain down YOUR tractor?
Ok, ok, ok. This is my thread and I'm calling foul. I raise 3 daughters -- I don't need anymore bickering in my life. Lol

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Ford/Chevy. Coke/Pepsi Chains/straps. What-the-heck-ever. Use what's best for you.

I started this thread for people to share how they do it so I (we) can see others' ideas and develop more ideas of my own. Keep the ideas and photos coming! Some great ideas so far! (Just no one get bent out of shape or think they have the only answer)

I have a 6:00am flight to catch. 'Scuse me while get some shuteye.

Sent from my iPad using TractorByNet

/ How do you chain down YOUR tractor? #30  
well in that case you better watch some ice road truckers cause most of there loads are secured with you guessed it ratchet straps but guess there doing it wrong to I guess common sense will prevail on my part but if ya feel the need for chains have at it JUST DONT KNOCK MY CHOICE because 9x outa 10 straps will be fine end of story

Don't take it personally! Its just my experience compared to yours. I have been doing this a long time and seen many things and had multiple experience in very differing circumstances. How would you feel knowing your now the responsible one for injuries or death if an accident like I saw that day was to happen when 2 extra min working with chains would have prevented it. I have 3 broken ratchet straps sitting downstairs right now waiting for me to throw them out but I have ZERO broken chains! I wonder why! I really don't want to be the one out of ten when the straps don't cut it and realize it the hard way

As far as heavy duty straps that we see on the big trucks you might want to get a closer look at them as they are definitely much more strap than what most try to use to hold down their equipment I actually have a set here that are over an inch thick and I can assure you after working with them once you would not think the chains are so hard to deal with.