Box Scraper How do you crush rock a New Road?

/ How do you crush rock a New Road? #1  

Starbucket

Hi I need to build a road (driveway) down to the lower half of my property. I have a Mahindra 1815 4WS HST W/box Scraper and Front Loader. I know how to split the differance of high/low with the box scraper, but what is the process to lay down new chip rock over dirt? It will be in a dumped pile. ANY HELP will be appreciated as I have never even sat on a Tractor till I bought this one (did'nt know what I was missin).
Pat:laughing:

/ How do you crush rock a New Road? #2  
If it is at all feasable I would have the guy delivering the stone spread
it with his dump truck. They are very good at this. Then you just have to
even it out with your blade. Or rent a one ton dump, fill it with your
loader, and dump spread it your self. Or spread one bucket at a time.
Calculate the thickness of the stone layer before you start so you where you are. Lots of work for a long driveway. Probably others have some better methods - I always use my truck.

/ How do you crush rock a New Road? #3  
I agree with Gordon-most dump truck drivers can spread the material fairly well-then its time to work the material with your equipment and have some fun!

/ How do you crush rock a New Road? #4  
Starbucket
If the trucker won't spread it for you (or can't), then I'd suggest using the bucket to distribute the crushed rock. Learn to dump it as you are moving so it spreads it along the path.

Trying to do it with the box scraper will often spread it too much sideways which likely is where you do not want it.

As well, I'd rather use a back blade that has an angle setting, then go along the path and keep pulling the outside material forward and to the middle. With it crowned in the middle, then "back" drag it with the blade straight to take the crown off and move the material to the sides evenly. It takes a lot of passes but it is great tractor time.

Box blade? Others may have good techniques for that. I don't like it for a drive.

/ How do you crush rock a New Road? #5  
I built a road down to our creek, did it in two sections. Link below is of the lower, second section... finish the road off as a passable dirt road, remove all branches and trees over the road (about 12 feet above the road since the dump truck will have it's bed raised high), when you call about gravel, make sure they know you want the driver to spread it... if not, call another company. How long is the road?

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/123229-before-after-photos-road-building.html

/ How do you crush rock a New Road? #6  
The trucker I used did a good job of spreading. Then I did as beenthere suggests and it worked out very well. Enjoy, you'll end up with a good road.

/ How do you crush rock a New Road? #7  
I call my buddy Freddy when I need to tailgate the rock he does a great job and leaves me with very little work to touch up.

If I were you I would ask around and find a good experienced driver, tip him well and request him when ordering your materials. Works for me.:)

/ How do you crush rock a New Road? #8  
If I were you I would ask around and find a good experienced driver, tip him well and request him when ordering your materials. Works for me.:)

That is what I did about 6 years ago to a well recommended driver. He not only did a great job, but he remembers me and really takes care of me when I have needed rock for my expanded roadwork.

/ How do you crush rock a New Road? #9  
I call my buddy Freddy when I need to tailgate the rock he does a great job and leaves me with very little work to touch up.

Hey, thats what I do when I go down south on vacation.:laughing:
Sorry, getting close to that time :licking:

/ How do you crush rock a New Road? #10  
As well, I'd rather use a back blade that has an angle setting, then go along the path and keep pulling the outside material forward and to the middle. With it crowned in the middle, then "back" drag it with the blade straight to take the crown off and move the material to the sides evenly. It takes a lot of passes but it is great tractor time. :thumbsup:

If you can add some gauge wheels to the back blade it will work even better.:D