How do you do roof work?

/ How do you do roof work? #11  
i observe at ground level while the roofing crew completes the job
Wish they would legalize flying a drone close over your own property. Excellent way to check out your roof.
/edit - and if the leaves are not too wet you may be able to blow out the gutters :)

/ How do you do roof work? #12  
Working on a steeper roof in my last house, I tied an old climbing rope (good enough for top-roping) to a tree on one side, threw the rope over the roof, and wore a harness that it was tied off to. Still stressful but workable.

These days I'll be on my 4:12 roof in rubbery shoes but it's an old-getting-older comp roof and you can just feel the sand coming off the shingles... not good. I avoid as much as I can but probably in the next couple weeks I'll be blowing all the pine needles off of the roof; we put in gutter guards but there's still spots where they get stuck a bit.

If I had significant work to do on the roof... roofing crew, I have other things I have to spend time on anyways so I figure if I'm paying for one or the other it may as well be pay for the roof, pay to cut that big tree down near the house, I can mow and build things on the ground, install or fix fences, and fix a myriad of things around the place.

/ How do you do roof work? #13  
Wish they would legalize flying a drone close over your own property. Excellent way to check out your roof.
/edit - and if the leaves are not too wet you may be able to blow out the gutters :)
Since when is that illegal. I check my chimney and gutters every year with my drone.

/ How do you do roof work? #14  
Working on a steeper roof in my last house, I tied an old climbing rope (good enough for top-roping) to a tree on one side, threw the rope over the roof, and wore a harness that it was tied off to. Still stressful but workable.

These days I'll be on my 4:12 roof in rubbery shoes but it's an old-getting-older comp roof and you can just feel the sand coming off the shingles... not good. I avoid as much as I can but probably in the next couple weeks I'll be blowing all the pine needles off of the roof; we put in gutter guards but there's still spots where they get stuck a bit.

If I had significant work to do on the roof... roofing crew, I have other things I have to spend time on anyways so I figure if I'm paying for one or the other it may as well be pay for the roof, pay to cut that big tree down near the house, I can mow and build things on the ground, install or fix fences, and fix a myriad of things around the place
I paid a roofing crew to strip and reroof my house 4 years ago. Cheaper than the hospital bill would have been for me.

/ How do you do roof work? #15  
I just climb up and do what needs done. Yeah, yeah, be careful, but you can't do anything when your scared.

/ How do you do roof work? #16  
I asses the situation and then very carefully get my cell phone out and call someone. I do get up on my roof once in a while for something like cleaning out my fireplace chimney but my roof is pretty easy to walk on, a 4-12 I think. I have a long tube made but Stihl I use to blow out my gutters from the ground.

/ How do you do roof work? #17  
I can say you get used to it and pretty good at it as long as your smart about it try sheeting an obnoxiously large hip valley 8 pitch 2+ stories up in the frosty winter months. Lol The crews I worked with didn't wear harnesses did occasionally use roof jacks or 2x cleats, when I was a union wood butcher for a number of years. However I'm pretty sure times have changed and due to my chronic vertigo I won't work off a ladder or get on anything over a 4 pitch anymore.

/ How do you do roof work? #18  
I installed my own roof on my shop a couple of years ago and installed scaffold within a few inches of the edge for the full length of the building. I used platforms, two feet wide against the building and then lashed ladders for the next two feet to make a four foot wide safety platform. I got satisfaction from a well done job and saved a few thousand in after tax income to really make it worth while. At well past 70, I don't think I bounce as well as I used to.

/ How do you do roof work? #19  
So, early spring of 2022, got a letter from insurance. 'Your roof is over 15 years old, replace or pay for a contractor to inspect and certify its good, or get canceled'. I did the entire roof for around $1800, including tools, ect, where it would have been around $7k to hire it out. It's like a 3.5 in 12; and fairly simple. I've been on 8/12s in the rain, 3 story building and that's sketchy. Never used safety lines. Not saying you should use them; but I havent.

/ How do you do roof work? #20  
Early in my career I worked on steel bridges with no safety equipment. I even managed to climb new river gorge bridge. 100 percent tied off now for bridge work