How do you do roof work?

/ How do you do roof work? #21  
I use the pitch hopper for roof repairs or cleaning my chimney on a 12/12 slope roof. Also, have a tie-off point at the peak of the roof to latch my safety harness to.

/ How do you do roof work? #22  
   / How do you do roof work? #23  
I recently had a new standing seam metal roof installed. It was expensive but fantastic.
It's very steep, but I made an attachment for my blower. A 10 & 5 ft section of downspout with two elbows on other end. Roofers put new 6" gutters & downspouts with a leaf guard. I can now walk around blowing off any leaves in 10 minutes. I can reach over 20ft easily.

/ How do you do roof work? #24  
Did you know the Empire State Building was constructed without a single safety harness. A good portion of the freestyle beam walking ironworkers were Mohawk American Indians.

/ How do you do roof work? #25  
Fly my drone around recording, call the roof guy.

Only time I'll get on a roof is when I can no longer wipe my own butt and need to jump off.

/ How do you do roof work? #26  
Did you know the Empire State Building was constructed without a single safety harness. A good portion of the freestyle beam walking ironworkers were Mohawk American Indians.
Safety lines on steel structures were not used before the late 1980s. Many iron workers in New York are Indian

/ How do you do roof work? #27  
I remember when safety railing first appeared on jobsite sheeting and roofing projects. Then came the harness and lanyards :rolleyes: Glad I finished my 35 yrs up there before all that crap was mandated. ;)

/ How do you do roof work? #28  
I see the photos on their web site show people working without any safety gear. Unless you count their product, which appears to be nice grippy rubber soled work boots. No harnesses or ropes, though.
The Cougar Paws have replaceable synthetic soles.

Harnesses are always a good idea. But the reality is, a lot of guy don't use them on a single story, or small jobs.

Around here at least, if you own the company, you can choose to not use a safety harness. Workers however, are still required to do so.

Last edited:
   / How do you do roof work? #30  
When climbing a ladder and my feet get 4' of the ground I need both hands to hang on the ladder. At 6' up I need a third hand to hang onto the ladder, so the phone is my best tool.

But I'm not scared, just cautious. 🪜(n)