how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #21  
One good use for old hydraulic oil is for bar oil in chain saws. You have to saw a lot of wood to use 5 gallons of it though.:D

I wouldnt reccomend this.

Besides these facts: It doesnt lube as well because its thinner and it is already contaminated with who knows what...It ALSO has to run through the oiler on my $800 saw.....I think NOT:confused2:

Regular old bar oil is only $6 /gallon. And a gallon will cut a LOT of wood.

I think I will spend my money wisely:thumbsup:

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #22  
Don't know where in northern Idaho you are but if near the washington border cross over and you will find nearly every O'reilly's takes it and a lot of napa's and autozones.

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #23  
I use my old oil and hydraulic fluid to spread on the wood floors of my trailers and manure spreader. I make sure it is well soaked in before I take then out and use them. It helps preserve the wood and since I make sure that I do not plan to use them for a while after I oil them the oil does not get away from me.

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil
Don't know where in northern Idaho you are but if near the washington border cross over and you will find nearly every O'reilly's takes it and a lot of napa's and autozones.

hmm, guess ill check spokane next. i know that they have a waste oil electrical production unit there, but i called and they wont accept oil if my license plates are idaho...go figure.. Ill call some spokane auto parts stores.

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #25  
I use my old oil and hydraulic fluid to spread on the wood floors of my trailers and manure spreader. I make sure it is well soaked in before I take then out and use them. It helps preserve the wood and since I make sure that I do not plan to use them for a while after I oil them the oil does not get away from me.

I forgot that also. I do the same thing to my wood deck trailer.

But I do like used motor oil better. Makes the trailer look like it was just painted black. I am not sure hydraulic oil would give the same effect, but probabally just as good at preserving the wood.:thumbsup:

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #26  
I forgot that also. I do the same thing to my wood deck trailer.

But I do like used motor oil better. Makes the trailer look like it was just painted black. I am not sure hydraulic oil would give the same effect, but probabally just as good at preserving the wood.:thumbsup:

Seems like soaking the wood deck in oil would make it slick when it rains??? Maybe not a big deal.

One use for used oil is chain bar oil on the chain saws, at least I use it for that. Also use it tooil chains on bicycles, atv's etc, and disc bearings/bushings/spacers on disc harrows, and other moving parts on implements.

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #27  
If you have any airports nearby, you could check there. Many airports have big oil cubes for recycling waste oil.

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #28  
Seems like soaking the wood deck in oil would make it slick when it rains??? Maybe not a big deal.

One use for used oil is chain bar oil on the chain saws, at least I use it for that. Also use it tooil chains on bicycles, atv's etc, and disc bearings/bushings/spacers on disc harrows, and other moving parts on implements.

I wouldnt reccomend this.

Besides these facts: It doesnt lube as well because its thinner and it is already contaminated with who knows what...It ALSO has to run through the oiler on my $800 saw.....I think NOT:confused2:

Regular old bar oil is only $6 /gallon. And a gallon will cut a LOT of wood.

I think I will spend my money wisely:thumbsup:

Re-post of my above post. It is NOT advisable to use used oil for a chainsaw. Bike chains, pivots on implements, etc are fine. But the oil doesnt magically appear on the bar of a chainsaw. It has to go through a small pump. There is NO filter on these either, and they arent cheap to replace. $6 of bar oil will go a LONG way.

And as far as the trailer being slick, it is if you use it within a couple of days after oiling it, but the wood absorbs it and it isnt as slick as you would think. I have never had any problems.

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #29  
"Besides these facts: It doesnt lube as well because its thinner and it is already contaminated with who knows what...It ALSO has to run through the oiler on my $800 saw.....I think NOT"

I use some of the used car oil to lube the chain on the Chainsaw. I look at it this way: That oil has been in my car for months and I trusted it to go round, hundreds of times an hour, lubricating the $15,000 engine in the car. An hour later I'm using it as a one shot total loss on $40 chain. I know it is not as "sticky" as chain-saw lube but try telling that to the wife when she finds it on my clothes in the wash. :eek:

/ how do you get rid of old hyd fluid and used oil #30  
Our township has 4 hazardous waste days each year where they take anything. Plus you can take it to the dump in gallon jugs.

You may not have global warming down there but we have been studying water temperatures around here for many years (better than 50). We are finding that they are increasing and its giving our native cold water fish (mainly lake trout) a hard time having a succesful spawning year. Some years the success rate is zero...