how do you guys fuel your small tractors

/ how do you guys fuel your small tractors
So I understand that most will say its a bit pricey and over board. I had some gift cards to use up so it wasn't that bad. I to used 5 gallon jugs by taking the stupid safe nozzle completely off and then funneling into the tractor. I also at times have found myself having to stop in the middle of a project to go and get fuel b/c i forgot to keep the cans full. I find it really annoying when you get that little drip from them dagome cans.

/ how do you guys fuel your small tractors
A few comments: this thread started out with a 1705, and like my BX2200 you could run it for several days on a single 5 gal can of fuel. Paying over $600 to solve that problem baffles me. Now if you have several diesel machines around, that's a different story. In a lawn mowing BX2200 context I use the 5 gal can and see no problems. At the farm with 2 diesels I too got tired of lifting cans and did the following:

View attachment 487597

It's a 35 gallon insecticide tank. Change the gaskets out for ones that resist fuel, use fuel resistant sealer on the threads, and go. I run it to the filling station with an old Subaru station wagon, fill it and use the 25ft hose to gravity feed the larger tractors from a hillside or elevated spot. Since it does not run as fast as I'd like I installed a bicycle valve in the lid to the tank and can pressurize it for better flow. I also added a couple of handles to the top of the tank so I can move it (once it is partly emptied.) Someday I'll spring for a pump. Right now it beats carrying fuel cans. These tanks come in several different sizes and shapes. Fuel is NO PROBLEM in them but you do need to find fuel resistant seals for the hose outlet. This one was $99 at Tractor Supply.

great idea. My tractor is the only thing that runs off of diesel. So yea not the most efficient way to spend money. But gift cards helped. I guess in the future if we end up with a UTV or something else then we are good to go.

/ how do you guys fuel your small tractors #33  
I have gas and diesel tractors and can't dedicate a pickup truck for fuel hauling and storage. The tank(s) need to be filled and off-loaded which would pose a problem in of itself. Then there's the storage and access problems associated with plastic tanks. The sun down here destroys plastic anything in a couple of years so they'd have to be covered/protected. I just don't see the expense worth the trouble. I get by with two five gallon cans each of gas and diesel for the whole lot of machines and lawn equipment. Now that my RA is somewhat under control, I can handle the cans better now. I don't think I'd want to keep more than 10 gallons of gasoline on storage any way. I buy it as I need it so it's fresh. I just filled the dozer today to work on the driveway.

/ how do you guys fuel your small tractors #34  
As previously mentioned, fuel consumption, physical ability, or the size of your spending money kitty; all weigh into what you do. There are some good ideas here for the casual user (less than 50 HR/YR). We moved to a 21 AC tree farm and bought my BX. I had no clue about a lot of things. With an AC+ of landscaped area and the farm acreage I first found I was buying more than 5 GL of gasoline/week and my new gen set holds 15 GL. First winter I had to fill the gen set 3 times. That is a lot of 5 GL cans. I was constantly pouring into smaller containers. Mowers are a real pain to fill with a 5 GL can. So I bought a 50 GL transfer tank and manual pump and 10 micron filter. Shortly the BX was taking more than 5 GL a week. So did the same thing for that. Electric pump is still too much bother, I am fine cranking the pumps. I treat the whole gasoline tank with Staybil 360 Marine each filling as the gen set is vulnerable to alcohol as well as chain saws. Also treat the diesel at the filling. My BX with clamp on forks handles the tanks to load in to the PU for filling. Each setup was under $500. As a guage on consumption I have put over 1500 HRs on the BX in 5 years.

Ron

/ how do you guys fuel your small tractors #35  
55 gallon drum with hand pump

Me, too. I added a filter/water separator to mine and put it on a pallet so when it's time to refill, I pop it into the truck with the pallet forks and down the road I go.

We have to have a special number to buy red dye diesel and have to go to a fuel distributor to get it, not the regular gas station. 55 gallons at a time, the savings are worth the effort. With 5 gallon jugs, I wouldn't bother.

/ how do you guys fuel your small tractors #36  
I only use 5 gallon cans for a short while when I bought my first tractor. I searched Craigslist and found first one and later a second one complete with 100gallon steel tank, 15 GPM 12 volt pump,20 feet of hose and auto-shutoff nozzle. Both cost me $350. The first one went to my brother in law to fuel his tractor, then when I got my shop built, I added the second one. I put swivel steel rollers on mine so I could roll it around the shop easily.
We found that between both of us when our tanks were empty and tractors were down low, we could get free fuel delivery from local distributor (said he needed 200 gallons but never charged us if we were a little short). Last year he raised his minimum to 250 gallons so I found a 250 gallon plastic TOTE TANK at a local manufacturer that brings in epoxy resin in them and gives them away. It was pretty clean but still had a bit of resin in the recesses. I first pressure washed it and got most of the resin our, Then a few gallons of diesel took care of the resin coating and I used the wash out for fire starter.
Early this year when fuel went down, I filled up my 100 gallon, BIL's 100 gallon and topped up the 250 gallon tank for $1.68 per gallon. I didn't think it would get lower but it may have, but it is a still a good price and now I have several years of fuel. I don't use much now that I have all my landscaping chores completed. It is all stored inside my boat shed and I have never had a water condensate problem inside the tanks. Fuel filters on all the tanks trap any trash or water than might accumulate but so far, a visual inspection shows absolutely no condensate.

So for about the price of that plastic 55 gallon tank with pump the OP posted, I got 2 each 100 gallon tanks, 2 each 12 volt pumps and hoses and a 250 gallon PVC tank (450 gallons of storage total) and don't have to load up and go to service station and pay the taxes on the fuel.

/ how do you guys fuel your small tractors #37  
Hey guys

I have a 1705 that i use often and its getting old filling it with 5 gallon jugs. So I went on a search and found this http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200609589_200609589

I did order it and received it the day before I flew out for work. Anyway it looked nicely made and I'm excited to give her a try. Very light weight when its empty. You can hook it up your tractor battery to run it So its simple and nimble to have. Has anyone used one of these before

thanks

I bought a 14 gallon portable fill caddy that is normally used for gas filling for boats and applications where you can wheel it to a remote building or dock or garage. It costs about $125.00 or less at a farm and fleet or tsc or a northern.

I then put it on a counter or raised surface so I don't even need the included hand dispenser. I bought a better hose (clear) in a bulk length. I pull the tractor up to within 20 feet . . Open the tap . . and fill.

When the tank needs to be refilled I just roll it on to the pickup tailgate directly, get it refilled while still in the pickup bed, bring it home and roll it directly back onto its elevated platform . . No lifting . . No dropping and no spilling.

/ how do you guys fuel your small tractors #38  
Got this pump off Ebay ....... won't be lifting the five gallon containers anymore to pour. Heavy-duty and fast.

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    143.2 KB · Views: 186
   / how do you guys fuel your small tractors #39  
Got this pump off Ebay ....... won't be lifting the five gallon containers anymore to pour. Heavy-duty and fast.

I use those for my race fuel in 55 gallon drums. For my gas and diesel I have a small trailer with two 50 gallon tanks mounted with electric pumps. I just pull it to the store now and then when one of the tanks get low and top both off while there.

/ how do you guys fuel your small tractors #40  

Hey Sarge, looks great. Do you have a link or part number for this unit ?