How do you lift the Ventrac 4500 Tough Cut Mower deck?

/ How do you lift the Ventrac 4500 Tough Cut Mower deck? #1  

Chris616

Silver Member
Tractor
Ventrac 4500P
Do any of you have a back saving method to flip up the tough cut mower (HQ680) to access the blades and clean the underside?

I am looking at the web page for the HQ680 in case I missed some advice there. I'll have to disagree that "...cleaning the deck and changing blades couldn't be easier with Ventrac's quick flip-up deck design...". I'll admit that some things get less easy the older I get, but even the young guy in the first video on that page isn't having an easy time lifting the deck. I wish that he didn't have the extra weight of the swivel kit on his deck. Then I could use that as an excuse for why it's hard for me. :)
Ventrac HQ68 Tough Cut Brush Mower

Despite what I've written above, what a pleasure it has been to own this machine for the last year. What used to take eight hours of hard work with a DR walk-behind brushcutter is now four hours of little effort.

Chris

Last edited:
   / How do you lift the Ventrac 4500 Tough Cut Mower deck? #2  
No easy way that I know of other than strength. I actually prefer having the additional wheels on it bc I use the brackets to lift it. If you crest a hill then it does make it a little easier since the deck is already raised a bit more off if the ground to give some leverage.

/ How do you lift the Ventrac 4500 Tough Cut Mower deck? #3  
I got a 72" Steiner deck that is supposed to be of the flip up variety. I regretted not having that on my other Steiner Mowers. Useless. You would have to be hercules!

How does that mower handle stones?

/ How do you lift the Ventrac 4500 Tough Cut Mower deck? #4  
I found an easy way to do it. I park on a slope with the mower up-grade. The steeper the slope, the easier it is to flip it up. Raise the deck full up too. Works with the very heavy contour mower too.

prs

/ How do you lift the Ventrac 4500 Tough Cut Mower deck? #5  
Those attachments are expensive enough, but since the aux circuit is not used on the mower, wouldn't a hyd. tilt up have been a nice option?

/ How do you lift the Ventrac 4500 Tough Cut Mower deck? #7  
Cool. I will have to take a look.

/ How do you lift the Ventrac 4500 Tough Cut Mower deck?
Thanks for the responses, guys. I tried the "parking on a slope" option earlier and that did make it easier, but I really was looking for a solution for when the machine is parked in my shop (for removing blades, lubricating zerks, etc.).

I had an idea that made the lift quite a bit easier for me today (see the photo). Maybe it will help someone else, so I'll document it here. I slid a piece of 3/4" pipe into the space above the swivel kit tires. There isn't enough room for the pipe to slip over the tire towards the tractor, so it's locked into that small space. By my calculations the required lifting force has been reduced by 25% (by increasing the distance from the pivot point). It was more than the reduction in lifting force that made the lift easier, though. I had something with a comfortable shape to get my hands around (just like lifting weights) and I could get my feet in closer so that I could lift with my legs rather than my back.

I would have paid extra for hydraulic lift capability if it had been available....

Chris

P1090052.JPG

Last edited:
   / How do you lift the Ventrac 4500 Tough Cut Mower deck? #9  
Nice shiny deck. Quality and strength of build seems apparent.

/ How do you lift the Ventrac 4500 Tough Cut Mower deck? #10  
Chris, I use the slope to make lifting easy, then lock the deck upright before driving to my shop for service. For easy professional grade sharpening check out the All American sharpener and then the Marc Parnes motorcycle wheel balancer.

prs