HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING

/ HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING #21  
Shield Arc: For the n00bs out here, tell me why DC is safer in that circumstance than AC?
Lets see it rains here about 160-days a year, for an average rain fall of 40-inches per year. When welding in the pouring down rain with a DC welder, and you get shocked it is just aggravating. I would guess, (only guessing because I've never done it) welding in the pouring down rain with an AC welder just might ruin your day!:shocked:

/ HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING #22  
Wonder if you could talk these guys into using an AC welder? :D

I dont see the issue?? They arent in the water or anything:laughing:

As far as ruining your day, not quite. Before we replaced the ground lead on out buzz box, it had a bare spot in it. Every once in awhile, while kneeling down and welding, I would have my knee on the bare cable. That coupled with an arm resting on the work peice:shocked:

Its a tad more bite than DC, but aint terrible cause its still low voltage.

/ HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING #23  
Lets see it rains here about 160-days a year, for an average rain fall of 40-inches per year. When welding in the pouring down rain with a DC welder, and you get shocked it is just aggravating. I would guess, (only guessing because I've never done it) welding in the pouring down rain with an AC welder just might ruin your day!:shocked:

I'm afraid that I still don't understand. Is it just that AC is more dangerous than DC?

/ HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING #24  
Wonder what would happen if you were soaking wet?

/ HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING #25  
Wonder what would happen if you were soaking wet?

I dont know. I never tried it.

But I am afraid that I probabally wouldnt want to try DC welding soaking wet with poor leads either

/ HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING #27  
let me try to answer that I found this on a welding forum and I believe it to be true

Assuming you are creating a good ground (damp feet, wet soil, standing in water, etc.), you can get shocked equally well with either AC or DC. The difference is, AC has the ability to freeze up your muscles, working with DC you go "Ow", and drop whatever hurts. AC you have the very real possiblility of freezing up, and hanging onto the stinger, ground, or whatever.

Last edited:
   / HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING #28  
I didn't see it, but I was on the job not to far away when it happened. At the time there was so much work around here, you couldn't get enough weldors, or welding machines. We were building a big cofferdam with tie backs. The company rented a small engine drive I don't remember what it was, because I didn't want any part of it, I had a brand new Lincoln SAE-400, and no body was getting that thing away from me! Anyway this new hire came out to work, forgot his rain gear at home. In no time at all he was soaking wet. He and another guy had to roll his little welder to another location through the mud, the new hire rolled up his leads on the handle bars, and grabbed both handle. Well I guess the fool grabbed the stinger and ground clamp one in each hand. The guy helping him couldn't hardly stand up straight when telling us the story later! I guess the weldor went to his knees convulsing! Scared the helper! At first he couldn't figure out what was happening! Then he seen the guy was holding the stinger, and ground clamp. The helper reached around and shut the welder off. The weldor was so shaken up he had to go home!

Attachments

• Coffer dams.jpg
    Coffer dams.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 266
   / HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING #29  
i have a buddy that does underwater salvage. they use stick welders dc, reverse polarity.

/ HOW DOES AC WELDING DIFFER FROM DC WELDING #30  
i have a buddy that does underwater salvage. they use stick welders dc, reverse polarity.
He also has someone top side who controls a knife switch who only gives power when told to.