How good is the 54 Snow Blower with Plastic Impeller

/ How good is the 54 Snow Blower with Plastic Impeller #11  
What do you have for a tractor currently?

I would guess based on what you are saying, the 2720 would be a good blend of comprimise.

Personally how I thought about it was this... The majority of my need was centered around mowing around my house and the immediate lawn spaces that include obstacles and turns. I also need an efficient snowblower to combine with plowing that I do with a truck. I can borrow an L series Kubota (Or rent a tractor of that size for the little I would need bucketwork at this point) to start out with. Once I established this I decided to go with a top line garden tractor in the x series x749 (Diesel for longevity and performance). My next plan is to pick up either a 4000 or 5000 series (most likely the latter) to perform bucket work and ground engagement once I start doing more with my food plots and Bison ranch etc.

if I could only have 1 tractor to do all of that I would probably go with a 3000 series with FEL and buy a beater used lawn mower for $500 to get in close. (still two tractors but hey, I don't do well with comprimise :) )

2xxx series is nice as well but I personally would make the above choice if I had to choose. After killing a few $500 lawn tractors, I would probably get frustrated and end up with at least an x300 :)

/ How good is the 54 Snow Blower with Plastic Impeller #12  
go with the 54 blower and get a steel impeller made for it. any machine shop can do it.

or possibly order the impeller off of a 47" if they are the same sizes??

they are interchangeable, between the 47 and 54 blowers.

/ How good is the 54 Snow Blower with Plastic Impeller #13  
I've been using my 54 all winter. Not a single problem to report and I often have the blower buried under deep snow looking like a submarine. Here is a post where I added pics of a 3 ft snow drift I had to clear:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/snow-removal/199285-3-ft-snow-drift.html

Saturday I plowed through a wall left over by the street grader. Mix of gravel road, sand and compacted snow. Took a while but the 54 ate it's way through the wall then we continued through 2 feet of snow to my round pen.

Sunday we had a rain which created six inches of heavy wet slush that trapped 2 cars in my driveway as we returned from Sunday dinner. Even my truck could not pull them out. Tractor with chains and differential locked did :) Then afterwards I blew the heavy wet slush off the driveway. Really taxed the engine due to the extra wet load but the blower handled it. No clogging.

I'm sure if I really pushed the blower hard I could easily break things. I prefer to just let it eat its way through at its own pace. I've been very impressed with what my tractor/blower has been able to clear. Only thing I have broke has been one shear bolt so far. Easy fix. ;)

/ How good is the 54 Snow Blower with Plastic Impeller #14  
QUESTIONS

Do JD plug up in slushy heavy wet snow?

Well I can tell you my 47" will clog in slushy wet snow (x748 tractor) :mad:.

I'd be willing to bet so does the 54" in the same conditions.

It clogs all the time in snow conditions such as what you describe and happens with your current blower. That JD dealer that claims JD blowers don't clog is not truthful.

When we have a couple inches of slush I use the blower like a blade and just push it off the driveway. If it's too much slush or hard ice/sleet mixture I get out the NH Boomer 3040 and use the loader.

If there was no cloggin on the 54" I'd be all over it but I don't believe it possible in the conditions I see.

/ How good is the 54 Snow Blower with Plastic Impeller #15  
Well I can tell you my 47" will clog in slushy wet snow (x748 tractor) :mad:.

I'd be willing to bet so does the 54" in the same conditions.

It clogs all the time in snow conditions such as what you describe and happens with your current blower. That JD dealer that claims JD blowers don't clog is not truthful.

When we have a couple inches of slush I use the blower like a blade and just push it off the driveway. If it's too much slush or hard ice/sleet mixture I get out the NH Boomer 3040 and use the loader.

If there was no cloggin on the 54" I'd be all over it but I don't believe it possible in the conditions I see.

I just used my 54 to move slush and did not have this issue at all. I did push into the slush too fast a few times and bogged the engine down, but as long as I went slow it managed to throw it just fine. It did only throw it have the distance of the more solid snow I was blowing but it was still useful and to be expected. we are getting snow yet again, so I'll try to video my efforts if i have someone to hold the camera.

/ How good is the 54 Snow Blower with Plastic Impeller
Thank You all for the information, I really did not like the idea of a plastic impeller but it sounds like only a small % are breaking, since you seem to be moving frozen snow and slush with no problem.

I currently have a 20HP gas Garden Tractor runnign a 48" 2 stage blower gets bogged down easily in heavy snow. Gotta take it slow. The blower plugs easily in slush, and I know it s balance of ground speed and PTO speed to keep it from plugging up.

My plans for the new tractor do NOT include mowing, I have a diesel powered "WALKER" zero turn lawn mower. Nothing mows lawns like a walker.
If you have heard of walker lawn mower take a few minutes and do a search in yahoo on them.

The JD will be for landscaping, moving piles of dirt, diggging, etc. and snow removal. I wanted a backhoe but after after getting prices of 3320 with FEL and BH, then thinking about the number of hours I will use the BH every year. I figured I could plan out the BH work and rent a much larger machine for a week or two every year cheaper then owning.

The X748 X749 look like great all purpose tracors where the primary duty is mowing. Since my primary useage is utility I looking at the 2000 and 3000 series. I really like the way the 3320 is built but for some of my lansscaping projects and some of the area I need to remove the snow the tractor is a little big.

I got dealer quotes on 2520, 2720, with 200CX and 54" blower.
I also got quotes for the 3320 and 3520 with only 300CX. Front mount blower is way to expensive, and if I did go te 3x20 route the machine heavy enough to push all the snow I would want to push. I just have some areas I can't get a 60" wide machine into.

The 2720 has similiar HP 31 vs 33 of the 3320. One trade off is lite weight which could be an advantage at times. The BIG trade off for me (which I hope I won't regret) is the 200CX will not lift as high or as much weight as the 300CX.

However the smaller tractor will get into places I know I will end up doing by hand if I go with the 3x20 tractor.

From my experince the two attachments eat up HP is a snow blower and a tiller. With the 2720 at $1200 more then the 2520 I think the extra HP is worth it.

I was just very worried about the plastic impeller. Thank you all for the information.

/ How good is the 54 Snow Blower with Plastic Impeller #17  
My plans for the new tractor do NOT include mowing, I have a diesel powered "WALKER" zero turn lawn mower. Nothing mows lawns like a walker.
If you have heard of walker lawn mower take a few minutes and do a search in yahoo on them.

The JD will be for landscaping, moving piles of dirt, diggging, etc. and snow removal. I wanted a backhoe but after after getting prices of 3320 with FEL and BH, then thinking about the number of hours I will use the BH every year. I figured I could plan out the BH work and rent a much larger machine for a week or two every year cheaper then owning.

The X748 X749 look like great all purpose tracors where the primary duty is mowing. Since my primary useage is utility I looking at the 2000 and 3000 series. I really like the way the 3320 is built but for some of my lansscaping projects and some of the area I need to remove the snow the tractor is a little big.

I got dealer quotes on 2520, 2720, with 200CX and 54" blower.
I also got quotes for the 3320 and 3520 with only 300CX. Front mount blower is way to expensive, and if I did go te 3x20 route the machine heavy enough to push all the snow I would want to push. I just have some areas I can't get a 60" wide machine into.

The 2720 has similiar HP 31 vs 33 of the 3320. One trade off is lite weight which could be an advantage at times. The BIG trade off for me (which I hope I won't regret) is the 200CX will not lift as high or as much weight as the 300CX.

However the smaller tractor will get into places I know I will end up doing by hand if I go with the 3x20 tractor.

From my experince the two attachments eat up HP is a snow blower and a tiller. With the 2720 at $1200 more then the 2520 I think the extra HP is worth it.

I was just very worried about the plastic impeller. Thank you all for the information.

I agree, an x series probably wouldn't be a good fit for bucket work (it's ok, but that's a reason to move to the 2000 series altogether if you can).

If you are just doing general landscaping around your yard, I would think a 2720 would be perfect. 3000 series would be more for that 500ft of driveway you need to blow (with the 59 inch blower) and a lot more bucket work...

The lift height on a 200cx is plenty to load a pickup truck with and ample for moving mulch or loam a little at a time. I am like you as well... $1200 bucks to have a few more hp is piece of mind and not a major expense over the life of the tractor really if you can spare it. let us know how you make out! I'm sure you'll love it!!

/ How good is the 54 Snow Blower with Plastic Impeller #18  
I just used my 54 to move slush and did not have this issue at all. I did push into the slush too fast a few times and bogged the engine down, but as long as I went slow it managed to throw it just fine. It did only throw it have the distance of the more solid snow I was blowing but it was still useful and to be expected. we are getting snow yet again, so I'll try to video my efforts if i have someone to hold the camera.

No offense but I've been using the 47" 2 stage JD snowblower since 2003, you've worked it for a week. Trust me certain snow conditions and operations will clog your blower. :)

/ How good is the 54 Snow Blower with Plastic Impeller #19  
No offense but I've been using the 47" 2 stage JD snowblower since 2003, you've worked it for a week. Trust me certain snow conditions and operations will clog your blower. :)

12 years with one here, 150" a year average snowfall, and
i have yet to clog my 47 blower. including snow of all types,
even that slush that falls from the sky!

:D

/ How good is the 54 Snow Blower with Plastic Impeller #20  

Well anyways, wasn't claiming to know more than most families if you know what i mean. Why don't you take a video of the slush clogging yours all up... I think the key here is "operations". If you overfeed ANY snowblower it could clog. finesse.

After all, I may have only had this snowblower for 1 week but I do live in mountains of maine with 100"+ of snow so I've broken lessor machines at all hours and have a pretty good idea what clog failure feels like... But then again I've also only broken a few shear pins (due to sucking in a branch and other time a garden hose)...

:)

Last edited: