How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg

/ How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg #91  
I did not get L strapping with mine so I just preceded as I went... It was leaning at first and then it straighten up was tying it off but its pretty solid right now.. Went thru a micro burst as it stood a few weeks ago... Hopefully will finish sections this weekend and have it all tightened up and can start putting cement in the channels....

/ How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg #92  
I will post some pics soon...

All 16 sections are up... Deck has been removed, #2 Shed is down, hopefully next weekend we can start tighten everything up, On call this weekend working on getting it together ... Looking at the end section I have need to figure it out... It stinks not having a manual to go by. A few members have sent me copy's of theres but they are not the same... Learn as I go ... What a Great experience but look forward to the day when it is thru....

Can not begin to say Thanks for all the advice... One day closer to a shop and a day closer to looking for a tractor.... My dad had a old tractor that rotted away in the field would love to find one to fix up...

Last edited:
   / How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg #93  
What's the question on the end section? I built my own, but a buddie ordered his with "ends" and he said it was just regular flat tin that was not even precut to the arch. He said it would have been cheaper to just build his own than buy their end walls.

/ How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg #94  
Good Day how did you connect your framing to the hut? Anyone have pics of the end wall build... Thanks Cleaning up from second shed and deck tear down need to tighten bolts and then work on one end and grout in tracks.... Last wall will be after concrete work down in center... Thanks MotorSeven for the advice so far... Slow but I am making progress.....

/ How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg #95  
Post number 33 shows a picture of the strapping:
http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/projects/97429-truth-about-arched-steel-buildings-2.html

There are 8 straps spaced out on each end and the walls terminate in between the last valley and the drip edge, so it really cant move. A friend did his different & ran long screws w/gaskets on them through the screw holes right into the wall framing. I guess either way works as neither of us have had any problem.

/ How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg #96  
my boyfriend bought a american steel span 30x40 "p" style and the erection guide talks about the doors etc. i dont understand what the major malfunction is about raising the arches and how they will stay without bending or tweaking the metal. anyone have an "idea" or "easiest" way to erect this dang thing?

/ How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg #97  
GD, click on that link above in my last post and read my build thread.

You must have a center support for the first 3-4 arches. Scaffolding works well, or you can build anything that is about 6'x4' at the top that the first arches can rest on. Ropes staked to the ground will prevent the panel from getting knocked or blown off the scaffold until other panels are added.

Any noticeable amount of wind on the day of erection is bad. Single panels can catch the wind like a sail and pretzel. Once they are bolted together with other panels they are very stable and strong. Setting the first few arches is where everybody runs into trouble

Most use ropes to stand up individual arches by hand. I used my tractor with a front end loader and a homemade boom. I used straps to make a 4 point sling so I could pick up a assembled arch all the way off the ground, drive it down the foundation and hold it in place next to the last arch. Once the sling is removed, add bolts and repeat. I have done two buildings using my boom...works like a charm and makes positioning the arches easy.

/ How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg #98  
MotorSeven I am back and here is where I stand on my shed project cement is drying and I have questions on the end walls I have the ends that have the two sections and I am missing the foam that goes inside, The real question is does the end piece fit bewteen the two angles?

Shed build pictures by freebird914 - Photobucket

if the link works you will see my photos has been a learning project ...

/ How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg #99  
I was asked to help a friend start setting up his 20x40 quonset up last weekend on the nice new pad and all glad I got to experience that! (not)

Now I know if I ever do one I am hiring it done by the building manufacturer that knows the next steps etc etc! :laughing: You guys have extreme patience no doubt I am impressed! :laughing: :thumbsup:

/ How hard is it to assemble a quonset hut type bldg #100  
Freebird, what size is your building? It looks a lot like mine. Mine is 32 x 36 SteelMaster. We got 1/3 of it up last Sunday w/the help of neighbors. Not nearly as "easy" as the company leads you to believe. Basically, trial by fire but we're getting it figured out. Just don't have many days in a row w/help to work on it.