how important is slope on laser levil

/ how important is slope on laser levil #22  
^ I was going to post Dirt Ninja's vids too.

He just got a new Bosch laser and really likes it. it is a lot easier to set up than his other one when working alone. He knows his stuff.

/ how important is slope on laser levil #23  
A lot of you guys are missing op's question. He wants a laser but just is not sure if he wants the slope feature or not.

I have used a water level and built several things with it but it is slow and long distances are a pain. I bought a Bosch rotary laser with receiver from Home Depot or lowes can't remember which for $500. It is awesome and is a huge time saver. Mine doesn't have the slope feature and I don't think I would ever use it if it did. Running things that need a certain rise or drop are easy to calculate with the straight laser just find level and add or subtract as needed.

We formed up 75' of concrete the day before yesterday with it and it made a hard job easier. We are building a metal building and I will be using it to set the heights on everything.

/ how important is slope on laser levil #24  
I have CST Berger non self leveling rotary laser. It takes few minutes to set up but it costs about 1/3 of self leveling one. I paid $350 or so few years back. Coincidentally I checked the accuracy of the level setting today using our pond as the level standard. The error was 0.25" over 140 feet in one direction and about 3/8" over 160 ft in perpendicular direction. It is not perfect but for all practical purposes adequate result.

If slope function is important? I don't have the answer. I am just guessing that for building construction it is not necessary function.

/ how important is slope on laser levil #25  
So, for $300 or $500 or so... you can get something that is faster... but not as accurate as a water level. Water level, which you can make out of ordinary garden hose with clear adapters on the end... would have zero error at 140' if used properly. Plus, you can throw it into the bed of your truck and it will probably still be there the next day.... :)

/ how important is slope on laser levil #26  
I am in the planning process of building a 2000 sq ft house with a big garage, an equipment shed, 768 sq ft, and a 1200 sq ft shop, I hope. I found a big excavator that I can rent for the basement and building pads. I will need a laser level to shoot grade and am hoping to buy one instead of renting. I want to ask you all with more knowledge on this than me. I have never used slope before. I will also need to run some water lines and sewer lines. Thanks Ed

I don't see the need for a slope laser in your scenario.

I agree with others that a water level is the most accurate and is ideal for most building construction. For short distances such as the majority of building sites the hose is not a problem.

For long distances a laser and receiver are easier to work with. I am willing to deal with 150' of plastic hose and a water level for building construction and don't have to worry about someone damaging an expensive laser. But when I have long shots across a field 200 to 2000 ft I am not willing to deal with a hose. The laser is the tool of choice for long shots across a field or other applications where their accuracy is good enough.

I use a slope laser for field leveling and grading with machine control. The Topcon RL200 2/s is rated for distances of 1800' radius and is as accurate as I could ever need. I use it to grade long pipelines and control the depth of trenches since I have it but there are other tools such as a pipe laser for that specific purpose.

You can easily get by with an inexpensive water level for most applications. You can get by with a low cost laser level for faster measurements too. If you need quick and accurate measurements you would have to buy a better laser level for more money.

/ how important is slope on laser levil #27  
So, for $300 or $500 or so... you can get something that is faster... but not as accurate as a water level. Water level, which you can make out of ordinary garden hose with clear adapters on the end... would have zero error at 140' if used properly. Plus, you can throw it into the bed of your truck and it will probably still be there the next day.... :)

Mine has a 1/4" accuracy at 100' and a total range of 800'. I can set it in the middle of a 50' building and be within 1/16" which is better than I can cut or build things. As I said in prior post a water level will work but these are so much easier and plenty accurate for most things.

/ how important is slope on laser levil #28  
As someone who has surveyed for over 25 years, i would suggest you bring someone in to help with the critical surveys such as sewer lines and such. i know you want to do this yourself, but if you had a guy bring in his level to help you might save you some money, time and possibly a lot of headache.

/ how important is slope on laser levil #29  
I have a manual slope Topcon that works fine, but the Bosch that Scooby074 posted has a setup that's easier to use and there are quite a few great package deals out there. If it were available when I bought mine I would have given it a hard look.

/ how important is slope on laser levil #30  
As someone who has surveyed for over 25 years, i would suggest you bring someone in to help with the critical surveys such as sewer lines and such. i know you want to do this yourself, but if you had a guy bring in his level to help you might save you some money, time and possibly a lot of headache.

I am not a RPLS but I have been surveying for about 10 years and own a RTK base and multiple rovers. We have probably surveyed in excess of 10,000 points this year. Some things amatures shouldn't try to do like things involving property boundaries but setting the grade for a sewer line ain't rocket science. If you can't figure that out you probably shouldn't try to install the rest of it either.