How many fired off a round or more on New Years at the stroke of midnight?

/ How many fired off a round or more on New Years at the stroke of midnight?
Also, I know the O.P. meant "into a safe backstop".

However, we have a family friend that was shot as a child from well over a mile away (he lived), and, when I re-roofed our first house, I found bullet holes in the roof. And, I found a 9mm slug in our pool through the winter cover one year. So, yes, there are idiots out there. Firing firearms at night is not on my list of things to do. We do shoot off some fireworks if we have them, though. More fun to look at and louder, too! :thumbsup:
Yes, safe backstop and of course, no alcohol. I surely didn't want to turn this into a safety or anti gun thread. Oh well. To each his own.

/ How many fired off a round or more on New Years at the stroke of midnight? #32  
Yes, safe backstop and of course, no alcohol. I surely didn't want to turn this into a safety or anti gun thread. Oh well. To each his own.

It'll settle down. ;)

/ How many fired off a round or more on New Years at the stroke of midnight? #33  
I went to bed at 8:00 PM.

This is the first year since 2000 that my wife and I made it to midnight. We only did it back then so someone could play the "flip the circuit breakers off to freak people out" joke (remember the Y2K hysteria?). We only made it this year due to my wife doing her Breaking Bad marathon on Netflix.

Next year we'll be lucky to make it past 9 PM as usual......

/ How many fired off a round or more on New Years at the stroke of midnight? #34  
Nope didn't crank off any rounds.. Not with the price of ammo.:D

Some of the neighbors did though About 3 salvo's of 10 rounds each.

I went to bed about 11:30

/ How many fired off a round or more on New Years at the stroke of midnight? #35  
74 year old woman two cities over had a bullet come through her roof and landed on her floor at 12:17am Jan. 1, according to a local paper.

/ How many fired off a round or more on New Years at the stroke of midnight? #36  
No shooting or fireworks this year. I can't believe it but fell asleep at 10:30ish and woke up the next day. Was kind of unusual at work with only Christmas day and New Years day off. Everybody had vacation and it was my turn to be sole coverage for 24/7 support for Public Safety stuff.

In the past have done both not to mention a little dynamite. My Daddy taught me to shoot into the ground too, but he probably wouldn't do it his self. Wasting ammo. :)

/ How many fired off a round or more on New Years at the stroke of midnight?
No shooting or fireworks this year. I can't believe it but fell asleep at 10:30ish and woke up the next day. Was kind of unusual at work with only Christmas day and New Years day off. Everybody had vacation and it was my turn to be sole coverage for 24/7 support for Public Safety stuff.

In the past have done both not to mention a little dynamite. My Daddy taught me to shoot into the ground too, but he probably wouldn't do it his self. Wasting ammo. :)
I chalk it up as practice (night time no less) and in your own surrounds. On New Years no one should complain.

/ How many fired off a round or more on New Years at the stroke of midnight? #38  
**** yes! I've been firing off celebratory gunfire since last Wednesday.

The wife and I arrived at our cabin in Wisconsin on Tuesday night to find that our furnace went out. Our water froze causing broken pipes and also broke the kitchen faucet. It was 10 degrees inside when we got there. No water damage since we shut the well off when we're not there.

So, after everything I've fixed in the last three days, I've fired off a few rounds with my new .45 (at targets of course). We live on 45 acres in the middle of nowhere. No one to complain.

/ How many fired off a round or more on New Years at the stroke of midnight? #39  
Yep, fired off 2. Not exactly midnight but new years morn....

image-2044877674.jpg

/ How many fired off a round or more on New Years at the stroke of midnight? #40  
Here's what Mythbusters say about it:

Bullets fired into the air maintain their lethal capability when they eventually fall back down.

busted / plausible / confirmed

In the case of a bullet fired at a precisely vertical angle (something extremely difficult for a human being to duplicate), the bullet would tumble, lose its spin, and fall at a much slower speed due to terminal velocity and is therefore rendered less than lethal on impact. However, if a bullet is fired upward at a non-vertical angle (a far more probable possibility), it will maintain its spin and will reach a high enough speed to be lethal on impact. Because of this potentiality, firing a gun into the air is illegal in most states, and even in the states that it is legal, it is not recommended by the police. Also the MythBusters were able to identify two people who had been injured by falling bullets, one of them fatally injured. To date, this is the only myth to receive all three ratings at the same time.
I think shotgun pellets are a different story; I have been hit by spent birdshot with no ill effects whatsoever...not to say that an eye might not be vulnerable, but I would not expect any injuries to occur from shooting a shotgun with birdshot vertically.