Ballast How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast???

/ How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast??? #1  

MossflowerWoods

Tractor
Kioti DK50SE HST w/FEL, Gravely 60" ZTR Mower. Stihl MS290 (selling), CS261, & FS190 + Echo CS400 & 2010 F-350 6.4 PSD snowplow truck
Hey TBN,

My buddy just offered me an approximate 1600 LB chunk of steel that fits in a 3pt frame I have that I've always planned as a Ballast/ chainsaw & wood carrier.

I have a 2011 Kioti DK50 and I've been aiming at like an 1100 LB total weight.

My question is simply when is too much Ballast TOO MUCH?!

Thanks in advance & Be well,
David

/ How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast??? #2  
I have a little smaller tractor than yours (hp wise) and I leave the BH on 7 months of the year and it makes great ballast. The BH weighs 2,000 lbs. Doesn’t sound like to much to me. For winter I have a ballast box full of scrap steel (1,000 lbs) and I would have liked to have it a little heavier in case I have to do some heavy FEL work.

/ How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast??? #3  
If the front wheels come off the ground you have gone a little too heavy. Up to that point you will be fine.

/ How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast??? #4  
Perhaps another answer. Check your owners manual. What weight is your 3-point rated to lift. I would recommend that you NOT exceed that ...........

/ How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast??? #5  
Perhaps another answer. Check your owners manual. What weight is your 3-point rated to lift. I would recommend that you NOT exceed that ...........

Well, if he exceeds that, it won't actually lift it. :D

/ How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast???
UPDATE:

I passed on the steel. It would not fit and likely was too heavy for 3pt ballast box frame I already have, and it was literally HUGE and would have just become an obstacle in my yard. I suspect it was much heavier than he was estimating.

I did consult specs and Loader was approx 2,200 lbs & 3pt was only 2,400+...

Thanks everyone!
David

/ How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast??? #7  
I used the 150 lbs per cu-ft methods to design and construct my ballast box, I have SCUT that weighs in at approx. 1400 pounds and ended up with a ballast box that is about 500-600 pounds.... Enough to counter the weight of 540 pound lift (weight) in FEL.....

20190513_134020.jpg 20190513_134501.jpg

Its a math problem mainly.... This is what my owners manual has to say (not really definitive) ...

DocScan (2).jpg

Dale

/ How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast??? #8  
What about ballast for the front end. Just got a Satoh S-370 (Beaver) in first gear high It will pop a wheelie only 15 hp so I was thinking maybe 500 pounds?

/ How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast??? #9  
I will caution you about overloading the front end. The axles in those tractors are known to break - at least in the two wheel drive models. There is some outfit "back east" which specializes in replacing the axles with new.

/ How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast??? #10  
Several manuals I've seen have counterweight recommendations that are around 2/3 to 3/4 of FEL lift capacity.

Bruce