Ballast How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast???

/ How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast??? #11  
David here are the specs for the KL-401 loader which your tractor should have:

Fits KIOTI DK40SE, DK45SE, & DK50SE tractors.
Maximum Lift Height 107.8"
Rated Flow (Tractor System) 10 GPM
Approximate Weight with Bucket 1284 lbs
Bucket Size Used for Specification 72"
Lift Capacity to Full Height at Pivot Pins 2,761 lbs

So if you took even the 2/3 of loader capacity as a target for the ballast. .66X2761=1822 lbs. I don't think your 1600 lbs. would be far off. As your 3pt lift capacity is north of 2400 lbs you would still have an 800 lb. reserve capacity.

/ How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast???

K0ua,

Dude you rock. That is excellent math.

As much as it pains me to say this, the truth is I'm afraid my tractor is too big for my current property and massive overkill (But I own it so...) I'm not making any big decisions regarding the tractor right now for exactly the above reason...

I'm still 100% in "Planning mode" right now as I'm about to update on my remodel thread...

But, you rock and provided the killer answer backed up with specs and math.
Be well sir.
David

/ How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast??? #13  
K0ua,

Dude you rock. That is excellent math.

As much as it pains me to say this, the truth is I'm afraid my tractor is too big for my current property and massive overkill (But I own it so...) I'm not making any big decisions regarding the tractor right now for exactly the above reason...

I'm still 100% in "Planning mode" right now as I'm about to update on my remodel thread...

But, you rock and provided the killer answer backed up with specs and math.
Be well sir.
David

Hi David, yes the old engineer in me is bad about thinking things thru. :)

/ How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast???
Hi David, yes the old engineer in me is bad about thinking things thru. :)

I have a similar problem!!!

I hope all is well for you and yours.

David

/ How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast??? #15  

Fits KIOTI DK40SE, DK45SE, & DK50SE tractors.

Lift Capacity to Full Height at Pivot Pins 2,761 lbs

So if you took even the 2/3 of loader capacity as a target for the ballast. .66X2761=1822 lbs. I don't think your 1600 lbs. would be far off. As your 3pt lift capacity is north of 2400 lbs you would still have an 800 lb. reserve capacity.

James,
That 1,822 lbs figure would relate to the load being at the pivot pins. I would assume that the COG of the counterweight will be back from the pivot pins, in which case I would further assume that one needs to consider the torque-effect (Force x Distance) of having the COG some distance from the pins.

Is the difference going to be significant in terms of 'too much ballast'? Who knows?

/ How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast??? #16  
James,
That 1,822 lbs figure would relate to the load being at the pivot pins. I would assume that the COG of the counterweight will be back from the pivot pins, in which case I would further assume that one needs to consider the torque-effect (Force x Distance) of having the COG some distance from the pins.

Is the difference going to be significant in terms of 'too much ballast'? Who knows?

The pivot pins The specs are referring to are on the other end of the tractor from the ballast on the 3 point hitch. The pivot pins are what the bucket of the loader pivots around.

/ How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast??? #17  
The pivot pins The specs are referring to are on the other end of the tractor from the ballast on the 3 point hitch. The pivot pins are what the bucket of the loader pivots around.

OOOPS! My mistake. I (mis)read it as the pivot pins one the 3PH.

/ How Much Ballast is Too Much Ballast??? #18  
I have a 1,000 pound concrete ballast box on mine and i have successfully lifted the full rated 2,700# off of my flatbed trailer with that combination. Wouldnt want to have to do it to much, as i dont think its good for the front axle.