How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically?

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically?
So got a couple estimates:

- Dual axle load of 16 yards for $120

- One "load" for $175; don't know what a load is yet, but I suspect it's a single axle dump truck load - which would be how many yards, typically?

I plan to supplement this dirt with dirt from my own place. But at 1/2 yard max, it will take some diesel as one mentioned here, to get what I want or plan.

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #12  
Check with your county road crew, sometimes they'll drop off a load for "free". It's your taxes at work.

I second this...if you are looking for fill dirt during the time of year the county is re-grading the ditches, you can get your hands on a lot of dirt in a hurry.

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #13  
A dump truck load of dirt doesn't go very far......

Might be wise to spend a few minutes with your calculator to estimate how many yards of material you are talking about.

Couple years ago I raised two pond dams with my tractor and a 5yd scraper. I learned the true size of a cubic yard of material. :)

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #14  
Ouch...I'm getting screwed. I think I'm paying around $265 per tandem load delivered. Not sure the yds, but same amount of material as about 16-17T of crush & run gravel.

Next time I'm out there I can take a pic and show you how I constructed mine to save a little dirt and stay at 8' heights. Basically a 3-sided box with 4x4 - something for the pile of dirt to rest against so it will pile "up" vs just spreading out into a bigger heap past 4' high or so.

A dump truck load of dirt doesn't go very far......

Might be wise to spend a few minutes with your calculator to estimate how many yards of material you are talking about.

Couple years ago I raised two pond dams with my tractor and a 5yd scraper. I learned the true size of a cubic yard of material. :)

I did and I came up with 45 yards +/-.

bh/2*l*1/27. b = 10 feet, h =8 feet, l =30 feet long. Divide by 27 to convert from cu ft. to cu yards:

80/2*30/27 = 1200/27 = ~45 cu yards

Ouch...I'm getting screwed. I think I'm paying around $265 per tandem load delivered. Not sure the yds, but same amount of material as about 16-17T of crush & run gravel.

Next time I'm out there I can take a pic and show you how I constructed mine to save a little dirt and stay at 8' heights. Basically a 3-sided box with 4x4 - something for the pile of dirt to rest against so it will pile "up" vs just spreading out into a bigger heap past 4' high or so.

Please do! Thanks!

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #17  
I want it dumped in amongst my Poplar grove and it's supposed to rain the next couple days. :(

I don't think a truck driver is going to be too happy if he gets his truck buried. Can you get it close and move it the rest of the way with the tractor?

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #18  
They’re more than likely not going to cross unproven ground this time a year.

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #19  
Totally a geographical issue.

Yep....that right there. Look in yellow pages for 'trucking companies' and on Craig's List for hauling, and find yourself an independent dump truck guy. I have a retired guy that runs his own truck 2-3 days week and will haul anything I want....gravel, dirt, chicken manure, sand....anything for a flat rate. He generally knows where to get dirt based on who is excavating what, and can get the dirt for little or nothing so I simply pay his haul bill.

They’re more than likely not going to cross unproven ground this time a year.

I have to a) decide on the actual site, b) get rid of a couple of the Poplars to make room for the pistol range (yea, more Poplar firewood :( and c) put down some gravel for him to run on. So the site will be prepared to a certain extent.

I got the gravel I plan to use from him about 2 years ago or so. So when we talked about where I wanted the dirt, he was familiar where I wanted it; he didn't seem to have a problem, other than it being wet. We have a lot of rock around; mud not so much, so I have that as advantage as well.