How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically?

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically?
I don't think a truck driver is going to be too happy if he gets his truck buried. Can you get it close and move it the rest of the way with the tractor?

Already addressed the first issue.

I plan to deconstruct my 160 yard rifle range berm and donate it to the pistol pistol (I have a 100 yard and 260 yard rifle range so the 160 is superfluous).

It took quite a while to move the dirt for the 160 yard berm. The distance to the pistol range is further than where I got the berm dirt in the first place - and that took quite. Hence, I already have a pretty good dirt moving operation planned. Having my dirt/gravel guy dump-in-place will really reduce the amount of tractor time and wear and tear.

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #22  
Wish you lived nearby, I have hundreds of yards of dirt from my shop excavation that I need gone :(

Wish you lived nearby, I have hundreds of yards of dirt from my shop excavation that I need gone :(

Me too.

But that then begs the question: How do I find one of you around here? CL?

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #24  
I'd try CL, I don't use it much but facebook seems to be getting more traffic like that.

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #25  
I'd try to find someone with a 24 yard belly dump if you can get a semi into the location. The dirt is usually the cheap part, delivery is where the cost comes in. 2 belly dump loads should be all you need for a good sized berm. As has been mentioned, cost is regional but, here that would be just under $500.

Forget about moving more than a couple yards dirt any significant distance a bucket at a time unless you have time to kill and just want to drive the tractor.

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #26  
A friend has received very close to 2500 loads of FREE fill from local construction sites.
Trick is be aware of ongoing major projects and knock on doors.

Downside is monitoring exactly what they dump as environmental guys frown on tree stumps, concrete and asphalt.
He has had to fight the environment police as one firm concealed concrete demolition scraps and they (environment police) discovered some in the fill.
They claim he is responsible for monitoring the contents, he won in long run but as usual lawyers were the big winners.
In his case all kinds of permits were required and the city actually sent inspectors daily to measure and monitor. (Tax payer's money at work)

Currently the concrete has been reclaimed and a crusher reduced it to gravel sized material which ironically is permitted as a substitute for crushed stone.
He is creating a large parking area for trailers and RV's.

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #27  
It always surprises me how much dirt I can get from scraping the top of a small area. Taking off an inch of dirt on a 100ft by 100ft square area, will get you about 30 cubic yards.

Bruce

That’s in the neighbor hood of 40 tons. Typical 10 wheel dump truck hauls 15 tons.

Fill sand in my area is about $110 a 15 ton load. Sand and some fill dirt mixed together will perhaps work fine and save you some money

Dirt contractors often are looking for places to dump what they haul off. Often at a real reasonable price if you let them do so as they can. You do have to be careful to stress whats allowed in the mix........

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #28  
I own a tandem dump truck. I can fit 15-16 yards in it but can only haul about 12 without being overweight. When I was digging my pond I sold probably a hundred loads of dirt. If they were within 15 miles I charged $200 for a 12 yard load of topsoil or $100 for a 12 yard load of fill dirt. Around here there is maybe 18” of topsoil and after that the soil turns white. It is Caliche but not high quality Caliche like people would want to build a road with. Works great for building up a foundation or whatever but plants don’t grow too well in it.

Anyway my phone was ringing off the hook. We literally were selling it as fast as we could dig it especially the topsoil. I also put in my ad the fill dirt was free if they picked it up (we would load) or topsoil was $12 a yard if picked up. A few people had us dump dirt in their pickup beds but most wanted it delivered.

As to where to find it check with local dirt contractors or swimming pool builders. They often have dirt they need to dispose of. A tandem dump truck will be around 12 yards and a belly dump will be around 21 yards. A shooting berm will take more dirt than you think. I used a bunch of dirt from my pond to build my berm and I bet it has around 400 yards in it. It is U shaped and maybe 20’ tall.

I own a tandem dump truck. I can fit 15-16 yards in it but can only haul about 12 without being overweight. When I was digging my pond I sold probably a hundred loads of dirt. If they were within 15 miles I charged $200 for a 12 yard load of topsoil or $100 for a 12 yard load of fill dirt. Around here there is maybe 18” of topsoil and after that the soil turns white. It is Caliche but not high quality Caliche like people would want to build a road with. Works great for building up a foundation or whatever but plants don’t grow too well in it.

Anyway my phone was ringing off the hook. We literally were selling it as fast as we could dig it especially the topsoil. I also put in my ad the fill dirt was free if they picked it up (we would load) or topsoil was $12 a yard if picked up. A few people had us dump dirt in their pickup beds but most wanted it delivered.

As to where to find it check with local dirt contractors or swimming pool builders. They often have dirt they need to dispose of. A tandem dump truck will be around 12 yards and a belly dump will be around 21 yards. A shooting berm will take more dirt than you think. I used a bunch of dirt from my pond to build my berm and I bet it has around 400 yards in it. It is U shaped and maybe 20’ tall.

Good idea, thanks!

I won't be able to use a belly dump due to it's location near trees i.e. my Poplar grove.

And in thinking about it last night, I'm probably going to have to either rethink my location or rethink how I'm going to do this. Where I want to put the dirt/berm is on a side of hill and again, due to the trees, the truck would have to dump on a side hill. I don't think the trees will cause a problem, not the virgin (with gravel). But dumping on a side hill - not good, too many youtube videos of dump trucks falling over down hill.

Due to the cold weather and now rain, I haven't been out there to really assess where exactly I can put my pistol shooting range, I know where I want it, but it might not be realistic.

/ How much does a load of fill dirt cost typically? #30  
Already addressed the first issue.

I plan to deconstruct my 160 yard rifle range berm and donate it to the pistol pistol (I have a 100 yard and 260 yard rifle range so the 160 is superfluous).

It took quite a while to move the dirt for the 160 yard berm. The distance to the pistol range is further than where I got the berm dirt in the first place - and that took quite. Hence, I already have a pretty good dirt moving operation planned. Having my dirt/gravel guy dump-in-place will really reduce the amount of tractor time and wear and tear.

Gonna salvage the lead and copper?