How much land do you need to shoot?

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #11  
If I have offended you that was not my intent. If so I apoligize. Most that shoot here with me are irresponsible shooters. Most can't even hit the eight foot high embankment here. Seems not to matter to them. It's something they have read about. Something that makes noise. Something trendy. If they can fire the frigging thing they think they are experts. The plug and play generation it is. I doubt that these people could ever be taught downrange tragectory. Not to shoot where one can't see. I am from the old school and it seems you are too. A gun is an awesome responsibility.

Not at all offended. My property is bounded on 3 sides by posted property. When, although infrequently, I hear gunfire on my property I take the time to meet & remind the hunters that I support safe hunting & shooting & also inform them that they crossed posted property to get to mine. I discuss whether my grandchildren are in the woods, etc. Mostly it's so they know I know who they are. Only once have I ejected hunters. A group of 3 asked to hunt on my property. I gave permission and as they headed toward the woods one fired at a bird while still on the lawn less than 50' from my house. Immediately sent them packing. Laws regarding that kind of stupidity & disrespect only make things difficult for the ones that have respect & common sense. MikeD74T

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #12  
Not at all offended. My property is bounded on 3 sides by posted property. When, although infrequently, I hear gunfire on my property I take the time to meet & remind the hunters that I support safe hunting & shooting & also inform them that they crossed posted property to get to mine. I discuss whether my grandchildren are in the woods, etc. Mostly it's so they know I know who they are. Only once have I ejected hunters. A group of 3 asked to hunt on my property. I gave permission and as they headed toward the woods one fired at a bird while still on the lawn less than 50' from my house. Immediately sent them packing. Laws regarding that kind of stupidity & disrespect only make things difficult for the ones that have respect & common sense. MikeD74T

I guess what troubles me the most is the lack of respect for the land. And that the hunters these days are so disrespectful of it. I begged and pleaded for many years for a place to hunt. All the farmers had a hunter horror story and turned me a way. I can't blame them. I have a place of my own to hunt now. I will not allow these idiots on my place.

/ How much land do you need to shoot?
We have left part of property in it's natural state, with old oaks (some 4'+ in diameter) and native plants. This is where we take walks and the kids play. Unfortunetly, it's the side that borders the 2 acre properties.
I've been peppered a few times during dove season, the last time was a teen doing some dove huntin' on his parents 2 acre spread.
The thing is, if you want to raise horses or cattle you buy maybe 5-10 acres a head, if you want to grow corn for a living you buy maybe 600+ acres, if you want to hunt, all you need to do is convince someone to sell you (or inherit) a half acre bordering a large property and blast away.

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #14  
I'm not much of a hunter (full disclosure) but I'm not anti-hunting. I'm anti idiots!!

I live on 250 acres. Plenty of elbow room, right?

I'm surrounded by TVA (public) land and the public are allowed to hunt on that land. Fine by me.

On the OTHER side of this land is a lake. So, think of a peninsula. I'm surrounded 3 sides by water and between our farm and the water is TVA's land. In some places, from the water to the border of the farm, it's several hundred feet. In other places it's merely 100. (maybe 200?)

It's like this the entire way around the lake. On the other side of the lake is a fancy hob knob retirement community (million dollar type houses, some even after the fall in real estate!)

Hunting on TVA land here is akin to hunting in a hallway since if they rotate one way, they will potentially fire towards the retirement community. Indeed, I've heard horror stories about people getting bullets in their homes however, I don't know if those are true.

Turn the other direction and they're firing our way.

Several years ago, TVA held some public meetings. I attended and was the 63'rd person to speak and at that spot, was the FIRST "home owner" to speak...all the others were representing some lobbiest group or something like that.

None the less... I told TVA what they need to so is simply use something like concentric circles.

During bow season, then it's illegal to shoot a bow within the first (guessing) 100' of their border. If it's shotgun or powder season, then maybe 500' or 1,000' from their border. If it's high power season then maybe a mile.

This would by its very nature, regulate (but not elimnate) the type of hunting that is allowed for any parcel and in essence, help increase the safety for everyone.

Of course, nothing was done, but I got a chance to say my peace.

Truth be told, when I was done speaking, I actually received applause and of the 62 people in front of me, not a SINGLE one received as much as a cough from the crowd. I was rather pleased that the crowd seemed to like my ideas.

Too bad TVA ignored them (as expected)

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #15  
That is wild shooting on two acres of land, In Ontario you can't shoot like that without the police having a word or two with you and your licences better be in order too!

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #16  
In Texas, there is a reg. that came into effect a few years ago that's trespass by projectile. So if they are hunting and the shot gun pellet hits your car, house, etc. they can be liable for that and can face a penalty.

I don't think the 10 acre rule applies unless it's in a <10 acre lot in a subdivision that the county can restrict. I believe the counties have the right to regulate lots 10 acres or less only in subdivisions other than that it should be perfectly legal as long as the rounds do not cross the property lines.

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #17  
Kfbeal, I found that law in Florida but not in Texas? What statue is it in? I might need it.

In Texas you cannot trespass to pursue a wounded animal. That helps a little if your neighbor hunts near your property line, and you remind him of this law, in a friendly way of course:D, and if he would set up his stand more than 10 feet from the property line he might get a second shot off before the wounded deer jumps my fence and becomes my wounded deer.

Edit: I found it:

"Discharging Firearms Across Property Lines
Property owners and hunters alike should be aware of a change to Section 62.0121 of the Texas Parks and Wildlife Code effective September 1, 2005. The new law makes it a Class C Parks and Wildlife misdemeanor to “knowingly discharge” a firearm while hunting or engaging in recreational shooting when the projectile travels across a property line. A Class C Parks and Wildlife misdemeanor is punishable by a fine not less than $25 or more than $500.
The discharge across a property line is permissible as long as the same person owns the property on both sides of the line or has written permission from the other owner to fire on, over or across the property. The written agreement must contain the following:
-- name of the person or persons allowed to hunt or engage in recreational shooting,
-- identification of the property on either side of the property line and
-- signature of the property owner whose land the projectile crosses. "

Also interesting:

"Nonpaying hunters with permission to hunt are classified as licensees. Landowners have a legal duty to warn licensees of known dangerous conditions or to make the conditions reasonably safe. No inspection is required.

Hunters who enter without permission are classified as trespassers. The landowner owes them no legal duty. The law prohibits the landowner from willfully or wantonly injuring a trespasser except in self-defense or when protecting property. The landowner is liable for gross negligence or for acts done with malicious intent or in bad faith"

Source for above quotes: http://www.texashuntfish.com/app/view/Post/21735/The-Texas-Deer-Lease

Last edited:
   / How much land do you need to shoot? #18  
There's an alternative for small properties - air rifle
I'm not talking Red Ryder type of guns, there's some amazing accuracy possible with decent rifles.
Maximum shooting range is about 50 yards and the pellets carry 200 yards at most if you shoot into the air. Accuracy on my range is one thirty second of an inch (center to center) for five shot groups.
If you just like accuracy, why do you need a high power bullet that might carry a couple miles.
It's quiet too, I've checked and it's less noisy than my screen door slamming shut.
My setup is a bench rest just inside my kitchen window. I only have to slide the window up and poke holes in the target a measured fifty yards away.

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #19  
<"It's a min of 10ac in Texas to deer hunt on for sure, dove.... well they better be sure which direction their shootin. Dove shot will go several hundred yards, it may not do any damage to any structures but it sure does sting.">

Man, what kind of shotgun do you use?

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #20  
I guess what troubles me the most is the lack of respect for the land. And that the hunters these days are so disrespectful of it. I begged and pleaded for many years for a place to hunt. All the farmers had a hunter horror story and turned me a way. I can't blame them. I have a place of my own to hunt now. I will not allow these idiots on my place.

I am not a farmer but we own enough land that people ask to hunt. The answer is no. I don't want the liability. I don't want to risk having some dumb ... shoot up our property or US. I know of at least four hunters/parties that have trespassed or land to hunt. I chased off another group that was scouting. And heard shots very close to our house that was likely on our land. And everyone of these trespasses were near posted signs that were easily seen.

I won't even get into the issues that my wife's family has on their land which has hundreds of acres.

Back to the question that started the thread. :D If one was very careful and had proper backstops shooting a pistol could be done safely. Rifles are going to be problematic. You need to check you state and local laws/regs to see what they say.

Later,
Dan