How much land do you need to shoot?

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #31  
Twarr1-
Wushaw- I don't know what you're shooting, but standard dove shot, ie., field loads, won't knock the hat off an ants head or dimple a marshmallow at 200 yards. Heck, I doubt it would even make it that far pointed straight out (parallel to the ground from a man standing on the ground). It may get there at a 45 degree angle, but I really doubt it and if it does...well, refer to the ant or marshmallow comment. I'd be more than happy to break out the video camera and do a test to prove or disprove my theory for you guys.

Podunk

I would really really like to see such a video.

I don't shoot at doves or waterfowl with the barrel parallel to the ground. Often times it is much closer to a 45 deg angle, higher or lower. I've been peppered from 200 yards away. Damage, no, but if you would be so willing to put your favorite car, tractor, or loved one, at 200 yrds I would be willing to try out the whole range of shot sizes on them.

Shooting distance for shooting away from a homesite??? Do you mean that a person with 2-3 acres shouldn't be allowed to safely exercise their second amendment right on their property? The government (any form) has its sticky liberal fingers into too much of mine and your business already.[/

Ah there's the rub. Every has their own opinion what SAFELY means. For some people, talk is cheap on the internet, but real life things change, say if that 50 meter range with no backstop was pointed directly at "your" house.

The following article is from RangeInfo.org

[FONT=Times New Roman,Times,Times NewRoman][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]HOW FAR WILL A SHOTGUN SHOOT?[/FONT][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] By Dick Baldwin[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1](This article is reprinted with permission from the Gun Club Advisor, Spring, 1994)[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Gun club operators have long been asked the age old question, "How far will my shotgun shoot?"[/SIZE][/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] The size of the shot used has much to do with the range of the load. It can be assumed that the same weight of different sizes of shot, propelled by the same amount of powder, will develop identical muzzle velocities. However, small shot lose their effectiveness before their pattern density is lost, while the larger sizes of shot lose their pattern density before their energy and stopping power is lost. No. 6 shot seems to be the intermediate in that it loses its pattern density and penetration effectiveness at about the same point on its trajectory. Another important factor is the angle of elevation when firing. When No. 6 shot is fired from a gun held slightly above the horizontal, the pellet drop will cover an area of approximately 400 feet in length. The nearest shot will fall about 300 feet from the gun's muzzle. While the furthest will land some 700 feet away. When the gun is elevated at an angle of approximately 40 degrees the drop area of the shot is greater, from 400 to 900 feet. [/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] A load of No. 4 shot will carry somewhat further. The nearest pellets striking the ground some 600 feet away. These distances vary from shot to shot as weather conditions, particularly the wind, have an effect on a shotgun's range.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] It is the generally accepted opinion that the No. 7 1/2 shot, used in trap loads, have an extreme maximum range of about 300 yards. Trapshooting ranges should provide this distance for their approximate danger zone.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] A French ballistics expert, General Journee, years ago worked out a formula to the effect that the maximum range in yards equals 2200 times the shot diameter in inches. When the gun is held at a horizontal position or only slightly elevated, this formula gives the maximum range of shot sizes as shown below.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]No. 2 - 330 yards[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]No. 4 - 286 yards[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]No. 6 - 242 yards[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] No. 7 1/2- 209 yards[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1]No. 8 - 198 yards[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-1] Altitude also has an effect on how far shot will carry. Data published by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute, for example, indicates the maximum range for No. 7 1/2 shot is 780 feet at sea level but increases to 1,080 feet at high altitude (12,000 ft.).[/SIZE][/FONT]​

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #32  
TxDon-The comment you made "Deer season usually ends the nice walks in the woods for me" is terrible. What I mean is, you have 120 acres according to your profile. Are you scared to walk on your own property during hunting season? Are you being shot at? Are hunters trespassing onto your 120? If so, there are ways to stop this and 120 acres isn't too large that you couldn't stop it personally. I don't take kindly to blatant trespassers. I can see someone making a mistake and wandering on, but I'll not stand for a blatant trespasser.

Podunk

Podunk, Hunters have set up deer stands within 10 feet of my fence line. One has admitted trespassing chasing a wounded deer. I have not caught anyone trespassing but have found corn on the ground on my property near the deer stands. I have a very good 5 strand barbed wire fence to keep the cows in on my land, There is no mistake when you cross the property line.

note: I heard the wounded deer crying near my cabin and got a glimpse of his bloodied mouth before he took off wailing. He probably starved to death because he teeth were shot out. - So now you know why I dislike deer hunters!

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #33  
In my state (NY), you have to be more than 500 ft from any building unless you have the owner's permission. If you have permission, you can even shoot from inside a building (you cannot from on or in a motor vehicle). I have a couple other houses within 500 ft of mine but they all give me permission (they are all good friends or relatives), and I have shot deer, coyotes, foxes, and hundreds of woodchucks from my bedroom window, all perfectly legal and very safe as the bullets path is known from start to finish. A much better question would be how much common sense is needed to shoot? Anyone who would shoot regardless of property owned, etc, without knowing that the bullet will travel a safe path has certainly not got enough of it. I can shoot even my .30/06 safely on a small city lot if I wanted to, but a senseless individual could screw up in the middle of a thousand acre ranch with a .22 rimfire. Property size is nearly irrelevant, but common sense is not. As far as not liking hunters, that is good for you but dont cry when you hit a deer with your car, or your poodle catches rabies because furbearer populations are not controlled. I like all people, hunters and non-hunters alike. Hunting is the most effective means of controlling many species, especially the whitetail deer, which is responsible for more human deaths and injuries than any other animal in the US. A man was killed in my town several years ago when a deer came thru the windshield of his van, leaving a widow and several kids behind. I am not aware of any serious injuries in my town involving a hunting-related shooting incedent. All animals must die at some time, a bullet is about the most humane way to go, and a human's stomach is about the best place for them to end up (deer heaven). There are a few slob hunters out there for sure, but in my experience, they are the exception rather than the rule. I am just asking that you dont generalize and hate all of us. What good can that do you?

/ How much land do you need to shoot?
Before I get labeled "anti-gun" let me say I've been a gunowner for 35 years.
Now, Imagine this.. Someone you don't know is standing right outside your house. They are shooting, but you don't know which direction or at what. Are you willing to just hope they're responsible? What if your kids or grandkids are out there too? How long before you grab your own gun and go outside to see what the **** is going on?
Now repeat this several times a year (more in season) and your view might change. I say if someone is hunting on a small lot (and it isn't a properly built range) they are not a responsible shooter. Period.
Putting the fear in the first few dozen idiots doesn't seem to work as there seems to be an unending supply of them.

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #35  
There are a few slob hunters out there for sure, but in my experience, they are the exception rather than the rule. I am just asking that you dont generalize and hate all of us. What good can that do you?

Yes, we should not judge a hunter until AFTER he pulls the trigger. It's not to late then, is it?:rolleyes:

I will judge a hunter before he pulls the trigger when he hunts on 2 acres of land or when he sets up a deer stand 10 feet from property lines where children hike. It's starting to get crowded out here in rural Texas, and Texas is behind other states in making hunting and shooting laws to enforce common sense.

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #36  
Finding poachers on you land is not easy. You can guess they are there but catching them in the act is not easy. I have found stands and corn on my land. To our south a few seasons back we heard a shot close by. This spring we found a trail of flagging that ended at our property line. Did the "hunter" cross the line or shoot into our land? Only the hunter knows. The flagging over looking a tractor cut trail on our land. I'll let you guess where he was shooting.

A few seasons before this we heard shooting to our west line with is 200-300 feet from the house. We could never seen anyone out there. It was happening at dusk and dawn. I ran into one of my neighbors at the grocery store and we had both been woken up from some of the shooting at dawn. I am pretty sure I caught the %^&*( later on. Depending the direction they were shooting, I saw them shoot a tree rat that was on my land while they were standing on my land, they were shooting at the house/kids, where I had been working with the chainsaw or towards my neighbor. :eek::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

I would not recommend to others what I did since I had a rather FIRM conversation which ended the problem from them. There were two of them, Mutt and Jeff, a big guy with a 12 gauge and scrawny dude with a .22. And just me with a 45 they could not see. :D I have a bit of training and experience with these matters. Others should call the local law. I was afraid they would continue to shoot and since they were shooting at my house, me or my neighbors this had to end now. You gots to do whats you gots to do. :rolleyes:

A neighbor to our east has archery range markers that cross our land. He owns a two acre notch that juts into our land. Its strange and the history of the ownership would be interesting. :) His range markers barely cross our land so I'll leave well enough alone unless he gives me reason. His tree stands is within a few feet of the property line.

Later,
Dan

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #37  
Good Afternoon twarr1,
Thats a good question and can be debated till its probablly beat too death !

I have 10 acres and for the most part dont shoot on my property especially on the front side, because I have some homes down below me, maybe only 800 or 900 ft away ! Much too close IMO !

My Uncle Dave has a shooting range on his property, about 30 acres. Two benches one at 75 yds and another at 200 yds. Thats where I usually do any shooting, and he has a huge mound of dirt behind the target board !

I have shoot on my property but only on the backside, shooting into the hill, and the guy behind me has 54 acres and is at a much higher elevation !

In the picture I posted, if you look closely, you can see the target board at the far left of the picture ! :)

Attachments

• UncleDave2.jpg
    UncleDave2.jpg
    180 KB · Views: 222
   / How much land do you need to shoot? #38  
the law in Texas,is you have to own at least ten acres,My brother has gotten a ticket from a game warden for shooting doves,and the game warden said he saw him shoot over a fence line...he got a ticket for.......trespass by projectile......first I had heard of this one.....so remember if you are aiming towards a fence line,and you shoot over that fence,that is a violation of the law.

/ How much land do you need to shoot? #39  
Cut and pasted from Texas regulations:

It is against the law to:

hunt in a subdivision with lots 10 acres or less in an unincorporated area of a county if the commissioners court, by order, prohibits the discharge of a Firearm or the use of archery equipment in such subdivisions. (Contact local county clerk and ask about 235.022, Local Government Code.)

Bruce