how much resivor for log splitter?

/ how much resivor for log splitter? #1  

Rio_Grande

Platinum Member
Just currious if there is a difinitive size hydraulic resivour that is necessart on a splitter runnung a 5x24 cylnder?

/ how much resivor for log splitter? #2  
I think the minimum to run a cylinder is 3.14x radius x stroke. With the splitters that I have made over the years I always err on the side of extra fluid to allow some cooling and prevent sucking air into the mix.

/ how much resivor for log splitter? #3  
Just currious if there is a difinitive size hydraulic resivour that is necessart on a splitter runnung a 5x24 cylnder?

What size pump and motor will usually have more influence on reservoirsize than the cylinder. Also when are you going to be using it. Winter Vs summer for heat load concerns.

I don't know if there are any "rule of thumbs" for a splitter but I would always want minimum of at least as much reservoir as the slow stage of a two stage pump.

Roy

/ how much resivor for log splitter?
This is a keep it simple and cheap build, so going with 13 gpm pump. I was thinking about buying a 5 gallon tank, but got to thinking leaving room for expansion, not so sure that is big enough.

/ how much resivor for log splitter? #5  
5 gallons is too small, IMO.

The experts will tell you 4 times the GPM of the pump.

If it were mine, I would make it a 15-20 gallon tank. You should be fine with that.

/ how much resivor for log splitter? #6  
the minimum should be .75 of the gpm that is bare min. the rule of thumb is gpm x 1 on a homeowner unit , gpm x 2 on a commecial unit , the oil volume over and above the operation volume needed to fill all lines and cylinder only serves to lower operating temp , thus reducing wear I have built over fifty commercial splitters and have never heard of four times gpm a new 11gpm pump is about 100 dollars and oil is about 8.00 per gallon so I tend to disagree with overly large tanks

Last edited:
   / how much resivor for log splitter? #7  
The 4x's GPM and 1x's GPM yada yada all depends on what spec you use for a two stage pump.

If ya use the 13GPM spec, .75 or 1x's the GPM is what to use. So a 10-13 gallon tank.

But on HIGH pressure Low Volume, the pump is probabally only like 3GPM. So use the 4x's # for that. so 4 x 3 =12 gallons.

I personally like to keep things simple. So if It were me, I'd go with either a 10 or 15 gallon TOTAL capacity. NOTHING in between. That way, when you buy 5 gallon buckets of fluid, you dont have partial buckets sitting around.

But I agree, 5 gallons is WAY too small for that pump.

And on a side note, a logsplitter hydraulics is considered continuous use. You can get by with smaller resivours on NON-continuous use things, like dumps beds that dump once and then you are done for awhile and things have a chance to cool. For example, the last dump bed I did was a 3.5 GPM pump and I only used a 2.5 gallon resivoir:thumbsup:

/ how much resivor for log splitter? #8  
3 to 4 times pump capacity is pretty standard on industrial systems. On mobile systems that number is usually not valid.

I agree a 10 - 15 GPM reservoir should be adequate as long as the lines and valves are sized properly to reduce pressure loss / heat rise.

/ how much resivor for log splitter? #9  
I have never seen an 11 gpm Splitter with a 44 gallon res has anyone? Ten gallons is more than fine for your Splitter I have no idea who would spend more on oil than the value of the pump

/ how much resivor for log splitter? #10  
I have never seen an 11 gpm Splitter with a 44 gallon res has anyone? Ten gallons is more than fine for your Splitter I have no idea who would spend more on oil than the value of the pump

And you probably won't see a 44 gallon reservoir on a 11 GPM splitter.

What you will see is a 40 - 50 Gallon reservoir on an industrial piece of equipment sitting in a factory running 24/7 or 6000 hrs per year for years. Yes they will spend more on oil up front that they spend on the pump but.. When you are talking a line shut down that costs $100's or $1000's per minute down time, the oil is cheap.

How many home owner logsplitters run 100 hrs per year?

That was the basis behind my earlier post.

Roy