how much resivor for log splitter?

/ how much resivor for log splitter? #11  
I have never seen an 11 gpm Splitter with a 44 gallon res has anyone? Ten gallons is more than fine for your Splitter I have no idea who would spend more on oil than the value of the pump

And you probably won't see a 44 gallon reservoir on a 11 GPM splitter.

What you will see is a 40 - 50 Gallon reservoir on an industrial piece of equipment sitting in a factory running 24/7 or 6000 hrs per year for years. Yes they will spend more on oil up front that they spend on the pump but.. When you are talking a line shut down that costs $100's or $1000's per minute down time, the oil is cheap.

How many home owner logsplitters run 100 hrs per year?

That was the basis behind my earlier post.

Roy

I mentioned earlier, and what you guys seem to be forgetting, is that a 11gpm 2-stage logsplitter pump is NOT really an 11gpm pump. The 11 gpm is ONLY at 600 psi or so. It is ONLY a ~3gpm pump up to the 3000psi.

SO...3 gpm times a factor of 4 is 12 gallon resivoir. And that is about right.

An ACTUAL 11 gpm pump would need about a 25 hp motor to run. AND if you were indeed running 11GPM @ max PSI (3000 or so), you'd better darn have more than a 10-15 gallon tank:confused2:

/ how much resivor for log splitter? #12  
In reality, an 11 GPM 2-stage pump is an 11 GPM pump, not a 3 gallon pump. It doesn't matter what the low stage flow rate is when it comes to sizing a tank. What matters is system pressure drop when the system is not doing any work.

So what happens with the high flow stage of a 2-stage pump when it is operating above approximately 600 PSI? You guessed it, it's turned into heat. 8 GPM x 600 PSI = 2.8 HP of heat. That's a lot of heat for any system to dissipate. Luckily the pump spends little time in this state.

If you really want to get technical you can figure the heat dissipation capabilities of your tank.

CHAPTER 6: Hydraulic reservoirs

When using the formula, make sure NOT to count any area on the tank that is not in contact with the fluid. Typically the bottom of the tank will not dissipate heat unless air is being forced underneath it. Painting the tank a lighter color also helps.

/ how much resivor for log splitter? #13  
In reality, an 11 GPM 2-stage pump is an 11 GPM pump, not a 3 gallon pump. It doesn't matter what the low stage flow rate is when it comes to sizing a tank. What matters is system pressure drop when the system is not doing any work.

So what happens with the high flow stage of a 2-stage pump when it is operating above approximately 600 PSI? You guessed it, it's turned into heat. 8 GPM x 600 PSI = 2.8 HP of heat. That's a lot of heat for any system to dissipate. Luckily the pump spends little time in this state.

If you really want to get technical you can figure the heat dissipation capabilities of your tank.

CHAPTER 6: Hydraulic reservoirs

When using the formula, make sure NOT to count any area on the tank that is not in contact with the fluid. Typically the bottom of the tank will not dissipate heat unless air is being forced underneath it. Painting the tank a lighter color also helps.

I perfer the KISS method.

YES, it is an 11GPM pump. But in the context where I said it was NOT, had to do with calculating tank size using the basic rule of 4x's GPM. Someone implied that using that rule, an 11GPM 2-stage would require a 44 gal resivoir. And that is simply NOT the case.

When using a 2-stage pump, you can either take 1x's the high flow, or 4x's the low flow amount.

No need for all of these complexities and arguing back and forth. A splitter is NOT a complex hydraulic system. A 10 or 15 gallon tank for the OP's build is going to be more than enough.

/ how much resivor for log splitter? #14  
10 gallons may not be enough in Tucson, AZ when it's 115 degrees F. We don't know where Rio_Grande is located. The name Rio_Grande leads me to believe the system could be operated in very warm conditions.

Nobody is arguing the fact that a log-splitter hydraulic system is probably one of the most simple hydraulic systems around.

My only point is that skimping on 5 gallons of oil is one of the simplest mistakes a person can make in designing ANY hydraulic system.

/ how much resivor for log splitter? #15  
I would think 8 GPM because the splitter is intermittent in use. It is either splitting wood, or just pumping fluid with little pressure. A good return filter is necessary.

/ how much resivor for log splitter? #16  

So what happens with the high flow stage of a 2-stage pump when it is operating above approximately 600 PSI? You guessed it, it's turned into heat. 8 GPM x 600 PSI = 2.8 HP of heat. .

DJ,
This is incorrect on a true two-stage pump. When the pressure exceeds the switch over point the hi-flow section is unloaded at very low pressure drop. I.e. the inlet port and outlet ports are connected. The low flow, high pressure side keeps the unloading valve shifted.

see the attached schematic. Hopfully it will help explain this better.

Roy

Attachments

• hi-lo pump.pdf
    7.2 KB · Views: 159
   / how much resivor for log splitter? #17  
I love being wrong.:eek:
Nom nom nom...*eats crow*

Thanks Mr. Old and Slow.

/ how much resivor for log splitter? #18  
With all due respects, I don't think you will see large hyd tanks on log splitters. For one thing, in most splitting conditions, the pressure is not very high and the hyd system is just loafing, doing min work. You could probably run the splitter all day using a 5 gal hyd tank, with a 11 GPM two stage pump.

/ how much resivor for log splitter? #19  
A 37 ton splitter with a 5x24" cylinder and a 16 GPM 2 stage pump uses a 9 gallon reservoir, in Northern Tool. Why reengineer something that they sell hundreds of? I run a 22 ton with a 4" cylinder all day long in hot weather and the oil gets warm to the touch and that's about it. It has a 5 gallon reservoir. 6x5x36".:thumbsup: