How much tractor do I need?

/ How much tractor do I need? #11  
you didnt mention what your budget was or what your use was after your project.

Id seriouisly consider a used tracked skidsteer with grapple.

1) skidsteers have significantly higher lift capacities than most CUT's.
2) you can attach a mulching head to some skidsteers which you may find much quicker way to deal with slash than trying to pick it up and move it to piles to burn it.

Granted mulching heads are expensive, but you could likely buy used and sell it after your finished for much less over all cost than what it would take to pay someone to do it.

the skidsteer could also be sold at the end of the clearing project when you have a much better idea of what you'll be doing with the property long term and what type of equipment you'll want ot do that with. (eg 40 hp CUT still dont take modern hay equpment well, 50hp small AG is the min these days)

/ How much tractor do I need? #12  
I have an Agrofarm 100 Deutz Fahr with a Stoll loader and use a W R Long open bottom grapple, with 2 grapples, 80 in. wide. and weighs 735 pounds. The tractor is 4wd with cab and is 96 hp. I added methanol ballast to the rear tires and that added 2,200 lbs. The tractor weighs 8,100 stock. Add loader,grapple, ballast and a 300 pound hitch with chain storage and it's just over 12,000 pounds. I've grabbed logs and had either left or right rear wheel come off the ground and that was on sloping ground. Most any large log(3,000 pound maybe a little more) I can lift, if I have to back up and any slope at all I have to use the front wheels to back up because the rear still needs more weight. I never use 4wd going forward with the grapple down because I could crush the loader. I could use another 1000-1500 pounds on the rear if it's not level ground.
Don't really need all that HP but do need weight. That's the problem with modern tractors. Got plenty of engine hp but not enough weight to keep it glued to the ground. Any of them will turn over in the right situation. And can turn over fast too. I've never rolled one but came close a few times. That's why I went for the larger tractor and still have to be very careful in some situations.

Forgot to add I let the wheels out(front and rear) to just over 8 ft. outside to outside. That helps to keep it upright too.

Agreed im just over 10,000 lbs operating weight on an m8540 plus a 1000 lbs or so if 3pt ballast. I need to build a 2500 - 3000 lb ballast box. The more weight the better for what your describing. With that kind of property i would probably want two machines. A CUT 35-45hp and a utility tractor with a loader capacity approaching 3000 lbs 800 mm forward of the pivot probably 80 -100 hp. A 3 pt backhoe would be nice. Or a descent TLB

Dave

/ How much tractor do I need? #13  
I might be in the minority, buried suggest a Dozer to clean up what you want and cut roads. When done with it, sell it and then buy a tractor

Brett

/ How much tractor do I need? #14  
Having had a L3700 I found it to be too small for log work. I sold it and bought a mx5100 and am MUCH happier. There are times even with a counter weight it is still a little light so I would opt for the heaviest/largest tractor I could afford and fit in the area i'm working. I live on 7 acres, clear a private road and help take care of a 100 acre farm for reference.

/ How much tractor do I need? #15  
i would not consider under a 70 hp tractor for that kind of use i have a 7040 and thats to small at times

/ How much tractor do I need? #16  
I recommend buying as much horsepower as you can. I have an m7040, and there are times it feels small when doing brush and stump cleanup. Like most others have said, no one complains that their machine is too big but a lot complain about too light, small, not enough traction, weak hydraulics, etc.

/ How much tractor do I need? #17  
I might be in the minority, buried suggest a Dozer to clean up what you want and cut roads. When done with it, sell it and then buy a tractor

Brett

I agree, I have a JD350 and it will walk circles around a wheeled tractor when building roads and pushing out stumps.

/ How much tractor do I need? #18  
that would be my thought also. take a week off and rent some real equipment (dozer, excavator, large backhoe, loader) to do the initial clearing then go buy yourself a nice 50ish hp tractor to maintain the farm.

/ How much tractor do I need? #19  
I have a 70 HP tractor and it will do some amazing lifting but when it comes to clearing and piling slash, I think I would go for a dozer. Either buy, rent or hire the work done by a professional operator. You can easily tear up a $30-50K tractor doing the kind of work you are talking about. Not to mention running a tree stub thru a radiator or tires.
If you have the time and money, buy a nice 450 dozer with 6 way blade and maybe even a root blade would do wonders in that slash area piling the trash up. Later when burning it all, the dozer would be able to repile the burning stuff so it burns up completely. Then with the six way blade, use it to level out the humps and fill in the pot holes from digging out the stumps. If I had 160 acres I would keep a dozer for working that at all times, but if you wanted, you could recoup most or all of your money on the dozer by selling it after you are finished. Put forth the money to get a good one that doesnt need the undercarriage rebuilt or other issues and it will be easy to sell it later.
After the clean up is finished, then look for a 50Hp tractor with a cab for comfort to maintain that pasture area. If you will be living on it full time a 50 is big enough if you arent in a hurry other wise you may want a larger tractor to run a 15 foot batwing mower. These would get the job done faster but at much higher dollars. I havent priced the big mowers but I think they would cost about as much as a 30 HP tractor. A 50 hp will pull a 7 foot bushhog with ease thru about anything that you would have and its large enough to handle a large round bale of hay with ease if you decide to become a cattle baron.
If you are contemplating going into the big round bale haying operation, you may want to go up to a 60-70 HP tractor. MY LS P7010 would easily handle any thing on a 160 acre farm and they can be bought for $36K with 4 WD and FEL and Cab with HVAC and stereo and 5 year warranty. Visit the LS forum here on TBN for info on these tractors and happy owners.
Again, go for a dozer,buy, rent or contract but for the amount of work, buying would be my preference. Save the wear and tear of tractor for later farming/ranching operations.

/ How much tractor do I need? #20  
UncleBuc: Lots of good advice on here and many are speaking from experience, been there, done that, and have the scars to prove it. I did the same thing a couple of years ago when it came to clearing property and purchased a new 50 hp tractor with grapple and box blade, also I purchased a large used Komatsu Excavator with a thumb. I spent the summer clearing, burning and moving dirt to get this place fixed up. The only thing I would have done different is getting a 100 hp tractor instead of the 50 hp. After finishing my project I sold my excavator for a profit.

I now have both a 50 hp and 95 hp tractor and find myself on the 95 hp tractor over 95% of the time. I have a saying up here in the mountains "go big or stay out of the woods". The saying came from me spending most of my time on two wheels with the 50 hp tractor. I really pushed it beyond its designed capabilities and was lucky it was well built and nothing broke.

Finally, the price difference between a 50 hp verses a 100 hp tractor is not as wide as you would think and the difference in the tractors is night and day. My advice, go big, you won't regret it.