How much tractor do I need?

/ How much tractor do I need? #21  
UncleBuc: Lots of good advice on here and many are speaking from experience, been there, done that, and have the scars to prove it. I did the same thing a couple of years ago when it came to clearing property and purchased a new 50 hp tractor with grapple and box blade, also I purchased a large used Komatsu Excavator with a thumb. I spent the summer clearing, burning and moving dirt to get this place fixed up. The only thing I would have done different is getting a 100 hp tractor instead of the 50 hp. After finishing my project I sold my excavator for a profit.

I now have both a 50 hp and 95 hp tractor and find myself on the 95 hp tractor over 95% of the time. I have a saying up here in the mountains "go big or stay out of the woods". The saying came from me spending most of my time on two wheels with the 50 hp tractor. I really pushed it beyond its designed capabilities and was lucky it was well built and nothing broke.

Finally, the price difference between a 50 hp verses a 100 hp tractor is not as wide as you would think and the difference in the tractors is night and day. My advice, go big, you won't regret it.
Difference in only about double depending on options between 50 and 100 HP
It depends on what you have left to do. I have a 70 Hp and a 26 HP and find that I use the 26 HP more than the 70. After you get everything fixed as you want it, ie cleared, levelled and properly drained, if you are pasturing only, you dont need a big tractor to maintain it. A once or twice yearly mowing to knock down any weeds is about all you need to do so a 40-50 HP will do that nicely. Sure it takes a while to mow with a 6-7 foot mower, but you are only doing it once or twice a year depending on grazing habits. 5-6 acres an hour should be accomplished in open ground 160 acres = 1/2x1/2 mile so you could travel at 6 mphwith a 6 foot BH when you dont have trees etc to go around. So it may take 4 days x 10 hours per day (40 hours divided how ever you want to) to mow but if you are there every day, it is good seat time and you only have to do it once a year. I figured this with a 7 foot mower @ 90% coverage to allow for overlap @ 6 mph travel speed which you may not obtain but should be easy enough to do in open range and semi- smooth conditions. Getting the land leveled and smooth during the clearing operation will pay big dividends later.

/ How much tractor do I need? #22  
We have a 60 hp tractor, a 54 hp tractor, a 44 hp tractor and a 27 hp tractor. For what the op describes, the 60 hp would be the minimum I would choose it the budget would support it. I recommend hiring, renting or leasing a dozer to do initial clean up then buy a tractor for long term use. Just my opinion......

/ How much tractor do I need?
Thanks for all the great advice; I've resolved myself that instead of a 40-50hp tractor I need to be looking in the 70hp+ range. That and hire a dozer.

Thanks again to everyone.

Brian

/ How much tractor do I need? #24  
Thanks for all the great advice; I've resolved myself that instead of a 40-50hp tractor I need to be looking in the 70hp+ range. That and hire a dozer.

Thanks again to everyone.

Brian

Good call for what your planning on doing i don't think you'll ever regret it.

Dave

/ How much tractor do I need? #25  
Have to admit, a dozer is a better way to go for major land clearing! That was a good suggestion

/ How much tractor do I need?
Okay, based on the advice I've received I have re-thought my strategy and now I'm looking to purchase a small dozer (Deere 350 or 450); but still plan to buy a tractor with FEL and grapple.

The concensus seemed to be that I needed at least a 70hp tractor- but does that hold true if I have a dozer on site? The dozer will remove the need for any heavy lifting and the tractor will be left with lighter duty than I originally planned. The reason that I ask is that I have a chance to buy a Kubota L4310 at a good price and I'm basically back to my original question of "how much tractor do I need"-- but with a dozer thrown into the mix.

/ How much tractor do I need? #27  
Okay, based on the advice I've received I have re-thought my strategy and now I'm looking to purchase a small dozer (Deere 350 or 450); but still plan to buy a tractor with FEL and grapple.

The concensus seemed to be that I needed at least a 70hp tractor- but does that hold true if I have a dozer on site? The dozer will remove the need for any heavy lifting and the tractor will be left with lighter duty than I originally planned. The reason that I ask is that I have a chance to buy a Kubota L4310 at a good price and I'm basically back to my original question of "how much tractor do I need"-- but with a dozer thrown into the mix.

Your going to be glad your getting a Dozer. Don't discount the komatsu ones either. D21 d31 I think. I hear good things about them. I run case dozers and really like them. With the amount of land your getting I would get a decent sized tractor. Something that could turn a batwing mower and maybe do some haying also. You'll never hear someone complain about getting to big of a tractor but you will about them buying to small of one!

Brett

/ How much tractor do I need? #28  
Even with the dozer, I'd get at least a 60 hp tractor.

I have a NH 3045 (45 hp) with a grapple and a backhoe. I use it in the woods a lot for fire wood, clearing, moving big rocks you name it. While I love my tractor and appreciate that it does quite a bit of work, my next tractor will be at least 60 hp.

/ How much tractor do I need? #29  
I have a kumatsu D31p,good for under brushing and such,great to have around the ranch. Make sure the undercariage is good on what ever you get atleast 75%,watch for liquid overhauls. Still would stay with a larger frame tractor for 150ac.

If a had a lot of bigger trees I would rent a trackhoe and get the major part down..

/ How much tractor do I need? #30  
Although I've never had or used one, given what you want to do, a bulldozer sounds like the ticket, at least initially.

There are deals around. A friend of mine recently sold a seven year old 44K pound Komatsu dozer for $11,000!!!!!!!! I knew he was selling it, but didn't know how cheap. Had I known, I would have dipped into retirement funds. I think I could have used it several years and gotten my money out of it.