How much tractor do I need?

/ How much tractor do I need? #1  

Schneeky

Silver Member
Momma sez we're in for a new tractor here shortly. With the prices of these things (I've never had anything like that new) I don't wanna botch it up and not get enough tractor. This is mostly for residential use on our property, so getting it done quickly is not necessarily a priority. Although we are coastal and I hear there's plenty of opportunity to make some quick cash when bigger storms come thru.
Anyways, what I've got is a few acres of overgrown woods to clear and some dirt to push around. Dirt around here is pretty sandy and easy to work with, but I have a TON of those 1-3" saplings and sheets of vines to 'rassle. We've been looking at the ~30HP (L3031, MF1734, Mahindra 3016 etc.) tractors with a root grapple upgrade.
I've got chainsaws, chains and a Brushgrubber I've been using on the bigger stuff. I'm somewhat sure the tractors we're looking at are big enough to tote around piles of cleared brush and shuffle dirt around, but are these size units stout enough to knuckle up those saplings, big sweetbriar tubers and other such growth? And if not, what would get it done properly?
I'd rather have the advice of those that have BTDT than try and just guess at it. Thanks much.. d:^) Schneeks..

/ How much tractor do I need? #2  
Schneeky you did not say how many acres you have to get cleaned up but HP is not your only concern because weight is required to use the engine HP. A 30 HP tractor that is 70 years old may do 2x-3x of the pulling of a 30 HP import.

If the 3" saplings are a one time removal event you may look at renting/hiring for that one task.

Too much tractor can be a pain too if you open spaces are limited.

/ How much tractor do I need?
Schneeky you did not say how many acres you have to get cleaned up but HP is not your only concern because weight is required to use the engine HP. A 30 HP tractor that is 70 years old may do 2x-3x of the pulling of a 30 HP import.
If the 3" saplings are a one time removal event you may look at renting/hiring for that one task.
Too much tractor can be a pain too if you open spaces are limited.

I agree. Too big of a tractor would be less handy in tight spaces and it hasta fit in the garage. The L305 I picked up to get started is about a perfect physical size for the place best I can tell. But between the 2WD, straight gears and lack of a FEL it'd be the proverbial "elevator-in-an-outhouse" scenario tryin to make it work.
The property is only about 5 acres with prolly only a l'il more than 2 of those in this state. But there's a seemingly never ending list of piddly tractor work around here (and I wanna play with it, I'll admit it). I studied on just hiring it out, and have done that a bit. But they never get it all and I still end up with a bunch of work to be done. And I hafta wait till they can get to it. And it's more or less money out the window in my eyes. We heat with wood so I'm always shuffling around wood and brush piles from "donated" wood and such. The boats get moved around a bit. Boat motors come in on pallets. Yadda, yadda.
I was under the impression that "knuckling up" light rooted stuff like that would somewhat take the tractor weight issue out of play and it depended more on curl power. But I may be off my rocker.
For heavier pulling I get the 05 Dodge Cummins and log chains or the Brushgrubber after it.
Thanks for your response. d:^) Schneeks..

/ How much tractor do I need? #4  
Good question....and "need" is a good word. Sad to say you are going to have to take your best guess. Everyone on this board said I should have bought a larger machine, however the machine I bought has done everything I have "needed" it to do. This weekend it was too big as I bashed the backhoe into a tree trying to move around in the woods...scratched the cylinder on the boom and bent the crap out of the bracket that holds the "don't hit me" triangle. I will have to touch up the scratch. I have dug up trees that I could just get my arms around, moved tons of rock and dirt. Fixed my driveway and the gravel in front of one of my barns. Point is everyone may tell you that you "need" this or that, but till it is in your hands you will really not know. And I can say that a big machine may do the job faster...it may also not do the job at all. It can't do what you need it to do if it is too darn big to get where you need it. Small machines may look like toys, and many view them as toys(they never admit it), but they do real work. If you have rented an L305 and it has done everything you need it to do, will fit where you want it to fit then I think you have an idea. But remember that loader will be on there, and if you are taking down trees you might need a backhoe, I know with all the trees I have taken down (most the size of both fists together up to about 28", some bucket trees) you will want that backhoe. But keep in mind the overall length of anything you want to hang off of it, and keeping things inside. Nothing is harder on stuff then leaving it sit outside....it will get old real fast.

/ How much tractor do I need? #5  
While it can be done, a FEL to pull out trees isn't the best tool. IF you can push them over so the root ball is uprooted, then the FEL can lift them out, but trying to lift them out with the FEL or even wrapping a chain and lifting is best done with the rear 3 PH. I removed many trees with the FEL on my old Yanmar 4220D by putting the FEL up high and pushing them over, then uprooting and pushing them to a pile. Some would uproot, but one snapped off and impaled the tractor. Luckily for me it went right between the front weight bracket so no damage, but I had to walk to the shop get my chainsaw and saw off the stub before I could get my tractor free. I could also use a long chain and yank the small trees out by attaching the chain to the drawbar. I found that attaching to the bucket hooks didn't work that well as it made me loose traction in the rear.

Now I use my backhoe to get out all the trees and bushes. It is much faster and neater as I can dig up the tree then refill the hole with the dirt because there is far less dirt on the root ball. If you can afford a TLB, even a small on like the BX25D can do a lot of tree removal quickly. I love the size of my B26 but they are really high dollar. I bought mine used 3 years old (only 60 hours) for a good price but it was still over $20K, about 2/3 the price of a new one. If you can afford a backhoe, get one with a hydraulic thumb as it really increases the use a lot. Think of the hoe like your hand without a thumb and how much more you can do with the opposable thumb vs just having 4 fingers.

/ How much tractor do I need? #6  
I have a different perspective. A "few" acres once you get it cleared with grass growing is fairly easy to maintain. Quick cash from storms usually comes rarely in my experience. Why not get a local tree mulcher (grinds the trees to mulch) company or any clearing company for that matter to take the little trees out? Then the cheapest tractor that can handle a 5' implement will work great from then on.

/ How much tractor do I need? #7  
tractor hasta fit in the garage.

The property is only about 5 acres with prolly only a l'il more than 2 of those in this state. But there's a seemingly never ending list of piddly tractor work around here (and I wanna play with it, I'll admit it)

If you are looking at NEW tractors virtually any of the 30HP or less offerings will do well. You need to get some seat time, figure what dealer will serve you best for the longest (many new dealers close shop after a couple of years).

IMHO buying new you are paying a lot for the warranty and the dealer.

I bought a 50HP tractor last year in Fairfax, Virginia.

8x6SAM_0875.jpg

It was a little bigger than I needed but the price was right.
I moved it to Fulton, Mississippi, where I'm retiring.
I've 4 shops.

outside-shops.jpg

With the canopy off it fits in the smallest shop on the right with about 2" of clearance. WHEW.

So measure accurately if it needs to fit in a garage, or plan on building a bigger garage.

Thanks much for all the replies, fellas.!! :)

newbury- I agree. I buy,sell and trade boats for a living. The thought of paying new prices for something is somewhat repulsive. But momma is an accounting major and sez we'll be better off with new as opposed to a "newer" used one from a financing perspective. The local Kubota, Massey, New Holland, LS and Mahindra dealers are established and solid. I bought the current L305 from the Massey dealer and they were very fair. Wholesaled it to me with a 30 day "if it don't work for ya trade it back in for full price t'wards something else" warranty. Hard to argue with that. Not sure what the policy is on new. Wanna check to see if they have a demo. The garage is huge, but the door is the limiting factor.

knukey- Hey man, quit it with that common sense and logic stuff would ya? I'm tryin to weasel my way into a new toy here! :laughing:
Some form of additional income, if it were to happen, would be gravy and not really necessary. Friends and neighbors are already sniffin around for work, tho'.

Gary- These are mostly a bunch of really small trees. I can about pry them up with a maddox in this sandy soil. The guy at EA.com said the Wicked Root Grapple should get it done with a 30HP class tractor. Had been tryin to avoid the extra expense of a backhoe in lieu of a more versatile implement. Although I can see the usefulness of it. For the bigger stuff the Dodge and the Brushgrubber giv'em a fit. After that, my tree man is in a boat building mood... :cool:

Cherokee140- I actually bought the L305 outright. Couldn't turn it down at the deal I got and have high confidence in making money off it when the new tractor arrives. Got several friends sniffin around it already. And it's the "physical size" reference I've been using for the current decision.
Called the EA guys this AM and they said the class tractor I was looking at would work nicely. They said that it worked great with the little Bobcat in the vid. Not really sure how much stock to put in that since they have something to sell. But I've read good things about their operation here and elsewhere. Push comes to shove they're in "choking distance" from here. :D With the cost of this stuff I'm tryin to take all the guess out of it I can. I know guys will let their testosterone levels interfere with sound judgement. 'Specially when it comes to power equipment. I'm just as guilty on occasion. :( d:^) Schneeks.

/ How much tractor do I need? #9  
I think the 30 HP range would be just fine for you. I would just add to shop the "whole" tractor; Not all 30 HP tractors are built with the same strengths. Sounds like you'll be using the loader a bunch, so give a little extra attention to loader strength when you shop.

I've owned Kioti, LS, and Massey. So far the Massey has been the best in my experience, followed by LS then Kioti. My friend has had problems with 2 new Kubotas ... but then again, that may just be our own unique experiences.

Good luck!

I would just add to shop the "whole" tractor; Not all 30 HP tractors are built with the same strengths.
Thanks! That's about where I am now, I think. Is chasing down those details in the specs that make the difference for an intended use. Was just following a Kioti thread where they were talking about them being a heavier tractor with more lift in comparable classes. Read the same about the Mahindras elsewhere.
Concerning weight, for my uses I'm not concerned with the yard as I'm not a "yard guy". I run around with the Gravely and beat the weeds into submission so I can get to other stuff. Fire ant mounds around here make sharp blades a very temporary thing.
But being able to pry up these never-ending little sapligs, pull down sheets of vines, and shoving some dirt around do matter.
Talked to Momma a l'il earlier and we may be exploring an older used tractor with an FEL and takin the money from the sale of the current L305 to get an EA Wicked Root Grapple working on it. Much easier to stomach than losing $4-5k just for driving out of the dealer's driveway. We'll see. d:^) Schneeks.

PS- Can ya tell it's raining here today and I have nothing to do but obsess yet? :confused2: :laughing: