How much tractor do I need?

/ How much tractor do I need? #21  
When I buy anything like this I really don't worry about "asset depreciation"...I buy things like this with a clear cut plan on what I need the given machine to do. Be it a car, truck, bike, gun, tractor.....

I usually buy once and buy right. Some of the collector guns I own took me over 5 years to find the right one. Others came up sure, and I had a chance to buy and sell and trade...but that is just such a hassle, even with C&R type stuff.

Old machines are fun, but as I get older I don't want to fool with them any longer. Same with the classic cars, I just don't want to mess with them. I would rather just hop in and go for a ride. Sure nothing looks as cool, but it is just sitting there.....be so much more fun to actually drive the thing and have AC, radio, and cup holders.

/ How much tractor do I need? #22  
When I buy anything like this I really don't worry about "asset depreciation"...I buy things like this with a clear cut plan on what I need the given machine to do. Be it a car, truck, bike, gun, tractor.....

I usually buy once and buy right. Some of the collector guns I own took me over 5 years to find the right one. Others came up sure, and I had a chance to buy and sell and trade...but that is just such a hassle, even with C&R type stuff.

Old machines are fun, but as I get older I don't want to fool with them any longer. Same with the classic cars, I just don't want to mess with them. I would rather just hop in and go for a ride. Sure nothing looks as cool, but it is just sitting there.....be so much more fun to actually drive the thing and have AC, radio, and cup holders.

For sure time changes most all things. :)

I am finding things that cause me a great deal of physical pain these days are not as much fun to do as once upon a time for example.

/ How much tractor do I need?
Quote Originally Posted by Cherokee140 View Post
be so much more fun to actually drive the thing and have AC, radio, and cup holders.

For sure time changes most all things. :)

I am finding things that cause me a great deal of physical pain these days are not as much fun to do as once upon a time for example.

Cherokee140- Agreed. That's why I'm doing the due diligence here. Asset depreciation becomes a very major factor if the unit I end up choosing ain't packin the gear to get the job done. Too small of a unit will be more frustrating than just keepin my l'il L305.
And options hafta be considered for sure. As Gale alluded to earlier a contractor could maybe nix the bigger need for some of the features I've listed. But if it's at the expense of $4-5k+ I have a hard time chuckin that money out with nothing but cleared woods and mulch to show for it.
That's why I'm still curious to know what kindof spec/capacity should I look at in a tractor to figure out if it will have the intestinal fortitude to make use of a root grapple on 1-3" undergrowth in sandy/loamy soil and still fit in the garage. I'm thinkin the same machine will have no problem shuffling around the brush and logs that pile up on the place in the winter.

Gale- I hear ya on that note. A hernia makes a fella a bit less froggy when it comes to tryin to 'rasslin the heavier stuff I work with.
i.e. green oak rounds, logs, boat motors and the like. d:^) Schneeks..

/ How much tractor do I need? #24  
More people buy too small and wind up trading to something bigger than vice-versa. If you don't have any unusual constraints beyond the garage size (like barn stall width) you're safer off going slightly larger than slightly smaller. Some folks are in the "look at me, I bought the smallest tractor on the planet, and have built a pyramid on my property with it" camp, and some are in the "look at my huge tractor" camp. The best answer is probably somewhere in the middle for most folks.

One note on depreciation for you. Tractors don't suffer nearly the same way cars do, and if you manage to find a Tier III machine, it might hold even more of it's value relative to new. I paid $21,500 for my LS new (fits in normal garages BTW), and I have a pending deal to sell it (after 207hrs) for $19,250. Essentially I paid about $12/hr to own it (minus fuel, and service)....not too bad. I wouldn't be selling it other than to get a machine with a cab (keeping the open station Massey for work in the woods).

I've noticed that the "newer" tractors seem to be just under new tractors price-wise on the local CL and such. Which with the shorter term/higher interest financing makes a fella's accounting major wife lean t'wards new. That said, you can get a slightly bigger machine for a few $k under the price of a smaller new machine.:confused2:

It'd still really help if I knew what I was looking for. The dealers are all over the place from "Sure, no problem" to "Don't even try it". All while talking about relatively similar units (~30HP 3033LS, Kub L3031, MF1734). One I talked to today said I'd be better off with the backhoe. Showed me a loaded up LS 3033 with loader and backhoe, prepped for the root grapple at ~$21k-ish. But while I may be mistaken, I think I'd have less use for the backhoe than the root grapple after this "big" project. Same guy has a 2006 MF563 with 4-n-1 comin in he said would be around $17.5k. And guaranteed that to be big enough to pull it off.:laughing:

Oy vey. I got a headache from this mess.
Think I'll go get some time in with 'ol Rusty. d:^) Schneeks..

/ How much tractor do I need? #26  
You are smart in doing all the research you can. Some people seem to think you need to buy the largest machine made and you will be set....so much more goes into it than that. But if that is your narrow mindset buy the largest machine, then you don't have to worry about it.

You are smart in doing all the research you can. Some people seem to think you need to buy the largest machine made and you will be set....so much more goes into it than that. But if that is your narrow mindset buy the largest machine, then you don't have to worry about it.

Yeah buddy. If I thought a "B" would do the trick I'd be all over one of those l'il buggers. If it's much bigger than this old L305, outside of the added length for the loader, it'd get cumbersome around here.
Was even wondering if mebbe I could get most of that mess up with the box scrape scarifiers. Haven't had too good of luck with that using this 2WD 305. Even the small roots start it to spinning. Wonder how much difference 4WD would make? Still prolly need the weight, tho'. d:^) Schneeks..

/ How much tractor do I need? #28  
Yeah buddy. If I thought a "B" would do the trick I'd be all over one of those l'il buggers. If it's much bigger than this old L305, outside of the added length for the loader, it'd get cumbersome around here.
Was even wondering if mebbe I could get most of that mess up with the box scrape scarifiers. Haven't had too good of luck with that using this 2WD 305. Even the small roots start it to spinning. Wonder how much difference 4WD would make? Still prolly need the weight, tho'. d:^) Schneeks..

Yes on both counts, in 1986 my father in law bought a Massey Ferguson 375 2WD with cast centers and loaded tires with a FEL. After a month or so of getting stuck and spinning his tires, he traded it back for a 375 4WD and we still use it.

We have several 2WD tractors without loaded tires and about all they are used for is running rotary cutters etc. on relatively flat ground.

That's about what I figured. And one of the reasons I haven't pursued slappin a FEL on this one. Although there's one close by I could get into cheap that would prolly need a good bit of work. It's been real handy for draggin around the box scrape, landscape rake, and pullin logs and such, tho'. Along with a pile of other little tasks around here I'd rather not fire up the big truck for. d:^) Schneeks.

/ How much tractor do I need? #30  

Who said anything like that?