How much weight can I haul???

/ How much weight can I haul??? #21  
Mlauk,

Thanks, however I was thinking of the trailer axels. 6X16, 8X18 open tractor or car hauling as I am not sure what to call them.

Thanks again, Neil

/ How much weight can I haul??? #22  
Neil L said:
My be a very uninformed question, but how do you determine the weight rating of the axels. Is there some identifing marking or some dimision you can check.

Thanks, Neil

Start with the easiest. If you have the trailers "title", look there. (I say "IF" because Kentucky doesn't require trailers to be titled, or even registered. Many have no title, especially if they've been through the "used" market) Next, look on manufacturers I.D. plate. Usually listed there. Finally, climb under the trailer. There will be a small metal tag spotwelded to the axle with rating and/or manufacturers I.D.#(model#) on it. I don't have a link, but find "DEXTER" website. They manufacture most trailer axles used in this country. They'll offer some assistance in IDing what axle you have.

Another "rating" often overlooked is trailer BRAKES. I recently helped a friend replace brakes on his 14,000GVWR trailer. (Axles and frame rated) We found, much to his dismay, the 7,000 axles were equipped with 5,000lb brakes. A carefull DOT check would hav limited that trailer to a MAX of 10,000 GVWR. Just like tires, often overlooked as the weak link in the chain. (Savvy DOT guys know how to spot this by a mere visual inspection. Brake backing plates are different, as well as rating stamped where it can be seen.) Generally not a factor on "lighter" trailers, but something to watch on trailers rated over 10,000 lbs.

/ How much weight can I haul??? #23  
Thank, again "Farms with" you have given a very clear and helpful answer.

Best, Neil

/ How much weight can I haul??? #24  
I purchased a 91 Chevy 1/2 pickup with a 7500 pound towing package. I looked at travel trailers, and bought a p/u rated to haul the particular trailer I was considering. The rear end of the Chevy squated quite a bit with a loaded trailer that was within specs, so I called Chevrolet and asked them what to do about the squatting. I didn't mind it too much, but would prefer the truck to ride level when loaded, for appearences, as well as the headlight aiming problem.
They suggested I have overload springs installed to offset the rear end squatting, but cautioned me not to over load the truck, as factory specs were finite, and overloading would void my warranty.
Rather than increase the weight of the trailer, consider air bags or overload springs added to your truck.
Evaluate the correct weight of the complete package and stay within manufacturer's guidelines.
David from jax

/ How much weight can I haul???
Thanks for that advice. I'm trying to avoid hauling my tractor with current trailer/truck setup. Drove tractor a total of 24 miles(12 each way) the other day to go cut a 3 acre lot. That was not a fun drive.

ArkLaTexSam

/ How much weight can I haul??? #26  
sorry, I did not take time to read all the post here, but if you have a 7k trailer, that is the gross weight of the trailer and it's load. Changing to a gooseneck will add weight, but it will also add weight carrying capacity. Using a gooseneck trailer allows you to have a higher pin weight. For example, you may have 10-15% load pin weight for a bumper pull, but up to approx. 20-25% pin weight for a gooseneck. But now you have to look at your trucks RAWR and make sure not to exceed it. Will all the modifications adn mathmatics, it may be simpler just to buy a larger trailer:D

/ How much weight can I haul??? #27  
One "quick check" that one can do visually ,regarding trailer axle capacity is as follows.

5 lugs with 13 inch rubber =2000# axle
5 lugs with 14 or 15 inch rubber usually means 3500# axle
8 lugs with 16 inch rubber usually is 5200# and more

Now this is NOT a difinitive rule but rather a quick visual reference.

Anyway this seems be what I have noticed.....Hope it helps

And I definitely agree with too much tractor for the truck and trailer themes I have been reading.

Doug

/ How much weight can I haul??? #28  
I have 6 lug dexter axles with 16 inch rubber, the axles are rated for 5200 lbs each.

The size of the ball hitch is also a giveaway, 2" is for 7000 lb car haulers. Good luck finding a 7000lb rated 2" ball at walmart though.

/ How much weight can I haul??? #29  
After having read all of these threads I have determined one thing. I am never going to let my wife read this websight. My wife is an attorney and if she ever gets an inkling of all the things you guys talk about here such as overloading trailers or certified welders to make repairs or changes. She will never let me pull my trailer or use my tractor again.

/ How much weight can I haul??? #30  
I vote on the side of getting a larger capacity trailer. I am in the need of a larger trailer myself and like all others tend to overload the one I have. Bigger is better. If your truck squats get air bags or a load leveling hitch.

As for George2615 stating that it is hard to get a home built trailer registered in NY he is wrong. I built the trailer I have now and it was a piece of cake to register. I took the trailer to a certified scale and got a weigh slip. I took this slip to the local DMV and made out a standard registration form. They gave me a number to stamp on the tongue and a temporary inspection. Very simple process.