How much weight can I haul???

/ How much weight can I haul??? #31  
For lurkers, there is a good lesson here. Match your tractor and implements to your trailer, match that to your tow vehicle OR don't tow it. There are inexpensive dual axle trailers for homeowners and good-not-cheap dual axle trailers with brakes for hauling real weight. They may look somewhat similar.

My buddy sat on a jury where a F-150 (modified springs) loaded with flagstone ran into a parked semi truck and trailer. Stuff happens.

/ How much weight can I haul??? #32  
A less expensive safer idea is add another 3500lbs axel with brake. It will be a little harder on tire scuff but you will be able to carry the additional weight of the tractor without over loading the trailer and truck.

3,500 lb. Standard Spring Trailer Axle

You can get another axel for 84.75 without brakes and 209.95 with, regardless of which route the set up would be 67.80 for springs and u-bolts, so anywhere from 152.75 without brakes to 277.75 with brakes. You can get new rims for 27.00 a piece from AA Wheel in Springfield, Mo. What ever you buy for tires new or used is up to you. You could probably find an axel local for around the same price. I know Orscheln sells axels as well as TSC. That is less than GN conversion and safer.

/ How much weight can I haul??? #33  
You can not just add a axel....
You then have to go the DMV and a certified mechanic and have tons of paper work done.

Trailer are built by standards.. for example the toung length can not excide a certain length
The axel has to be so far back from the toung.

Check your state laws.

I am in the state of Pa and you need a brake on every axel when the trailer is regestered 3,000 lbs. or more

/ How much weight can I haul??? #34  
Not being a DMV clerk in Arkansas, I think all you need is an avadavat of modification. Signed only by the owner, if it was a wrecked trailer it would also be signed by the mechanic or facility that fixed it stating it is back to factory condition.

The differences between modification and rebuilding a wrecked trailer are substantaly different. Each state has its own laws and requirements specific to its own state statues. It is not a big deal to add an axel. Depending on the type, in this case a bumper pull trailer and set-up (deck over or low profile)the additional axel install can be very easy with no modifications at all to the trailer other than attachment of the axel. In other setups, fender removal and tandem axel relocation may be required to ensure proper load distribution. However, in this case I would not now rate the trailer as a 10,000lb trailer because it had an additional axel added. Depending on manufacture, the only difference in 7000lb and 10000lb trailers are the axels.

Not seeing the trailer or knowing the frame set up I would still consider it a 7000lb trailer that better distributes the 6000lb tractor and is easier for the ½ ton pickup to haul. I also think that when GM switched to the new frame in 1998 or 1999 it increased the towing capacity from 7300lb up to 10,400lb; I would check your door or the owner’s manual.

/ How much weight can I haul??? #35  
In response to Bitternut.
I don't know what weight class trailer he built but the one I built was for over 6000#. I used 2 - 6000# axles on mine. A call to the local DMV told me since the weight class is over 3000# I must apply through Albany for a title once the trailer is built. They send you an application to fill out. Once complete you send it back with the appropriate fee and copies of all your receipts showing you paid sales tax on all parts you used to build the trailer along with a certified weigh slip. Then they will schedule an appointment with your local DMV to have them inspect your trailer for safety. If it passes the safety inspection they will issue a VIN# on a yellow decal which they attach to the tongue of the trailer. They then tell you the vin# must be stamped on the frame and give you a 10 day sticker to get it inspected. About 2-3 weeks later they mail you a title for a custom made trailer. Entire process after building the trailer was about 2-3 months. This was the proceedure in the 90's. I think the procedure is less restrictive if the trailer weight class is going to be less than 3000# which doesn't require brakes in this state.

/ How much weight can I haul??? #36  
Having lived in arkansas for a lot of years. I am of the opinion if he added another axle it would not matter as far as paperwork goes. In the first place trailer tags are permanent plates. If he modified the trailer he wont have to get new plates and I would be totally amazed if the police were to ever stop him and do a check on the trailer plates then arrest him for having three axles on a trailer that the title says has two. To be perfectly honest I bought my 16 foot trailer in 1988 I have never put license plates on it. I use it all the time. Today I went over to get my kubota tractor from a rental house on the way there and back I passed by 4 state police officers and two local police officers they never paid a bit of attention to the trailer. I did get stopped once because I did not have my trailer lights hooked up and was hauling a car about midnight the police officer had a lot to say about not having trailer lights but did not say a word about no plates on the trailer

/ How much weight can I haul??? #37  
One of my friends has a trailer with marginal lights and no tag. Another friend borrowed it to move a couple of appliances and got caught due to the lights catching the officers attention. He let the lights go, but the lack of a tag got him a ticket. He bought a new trailer and paid for the tag before he had to go to court. The judge let him off, since it wasn't his trailer and he had no intention of borrowing it again.
I have read several rules quoted by members, that are probably state specific, as they aren't laws in my state.
I can modify any trailer under a tare weight of 2K without the risk of breaking a state law, but if I do and the trailer fails and kills someone, I better hope they can't trace it back to me...
In other words, LIABILITY and common sense need to be considered.
David from jax

I say that after transporting almost 2k home from Arkansas this week in the back of my 1/2 ton pickup, recently modified with coil spring overloads ...

/ How much weight can I haul??? #38  
Sandman I totally agree with what you said about the liability issues. I thought about that but I am not sure that the welding on of another axle would be near the issue of trying to convert it to a gooseneck. All I was saying was that in Arkansas I would be amazed if he were to have legal problems with title if he added a third axle. While there might be laws governing that I cant imagine them being enforceable. I dont know of anyone that has been stopped and asked to show their registration for the trailer. I would imagine that happening only if the police officer had a reason to suspect it was stolen.

I saw the post about carrying 2 k home to florida. what part of arkansas do you visit ?

/ How much weight can I haul??? #39  
How much does one ATV plus small steal trailer have to be to be towed behind a 2015 Nissan Altima car

/ How much weight can I haul??? #40  
How much does one ATV plus small steal trailer have to be to be towed behind a 2015 Nissan Altima car

Welcome to TBN....................

From the trailer hitches I see available for a 2015 Altima it looks like the maximum they are rated for is 2000 lb. with 200 lb of tongue weight. If you are going to tow an ATV on a trailer with your Altima it would need to be less than 2K.