How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #61  
   / How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #62  
I've never been bit with a standard sized or compact semi-auto (Glock 17 and 19, respectively), but a Beretta Tomcat (.32ACP) got me once due to it's small size and limited grip.

I have seen a few injuries from slide cuts. It is because people did not pay attention to what I told them, and either intentionally or unconsciously wrap their left thumb over their right thumb and got it in the way of the slide.. Ouch. Some folks just cannot get the both thumbs on the left side of the pistol with right thumb over left (if right handed). I have caught dozens of folks trying to put their left thumb over their right behind the slide , and managed to get them to stop before they injured themselves.

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #63  
A M1911 has to be learned. It's not plug and play. They have been around for a very long time for a good reason. A worthwhile gun to learn.

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #64  
The thing about slide cuts is they only do it once... :laughing:

My son did it with his new pistol. First shot. He was a fast learner.

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid
Well Bob I highly recommend shooting any pistol or revolver with 2 hands if you can. Two hand shooting is just about twice as good as one hand shooting.If you don't believe it look at videos of any pistol or revolver competitor. BUT you do need keep all your parts and pieces out of the path of the slide travel on a semi-auto pistol and away from the cylinder gap of any revolver.

You don't need a revolver with bad alignment to cause damage to your digits if placed by the cylinder gap. The hot high pressure gasses alone can do serious damage to your digits no lead shavings needed. But of course lead shavings would just add to the damage.

We practiced to shoot with one hand many times in competition, as there are scenario's calling for both strong hand and weak hand shooting. There may be times you are wounded for instance in a real gunfight and one side or the other put out of action.

You should practice both strong hand and weak hand shooting, but I am here to tell you, strong hand shooting sucks compared to proper two hands stances. And weak hand shooting REALLY REALLY sucks. compared to strong hand shooting.:laughing: Of course the more you practice of each the better you will do.

James, I don't doubt what you say is true....I think it is all how one was trained...I shot Expert with a 1911 Army 45 in MP school back in the 1960's and I did that with my strong hand standing sideways as we were trained....same stance was part of our training in civilian law enforcement with 357 revolvers back then.....

My experience has been with combat shooting situations....We practiced drawing and firing in all positions not target practice except to qualify...Just a fact , when you have to draw your weapon in a firing situation, there is not time to bring another supporting hand to the weapon...at least it cannot be as fast as drawing and firing with your strong hand...in a point and shoot situation...

Can't teach an old dog new tricks....LOL

/ How not to shoot a gun...Or you can't fix Stupid #67  
James, I don't doubt what you say is true....I think it is all how one was trained...I shot Expert with a 1911 Army 45 in MP school back in the 1960's and I did that with my strong hand standing sideways as we were trained....same stance was part of our training in civilian law enforcement with 357 revolvers back then.....

My experience has been with combat shooting situations....We practiced drawing and firing in all positions not target practice except to qualify...Just a fact , when you have to draw your weapon in a firing situation, there is not time to bring another supporting hand to the weapon...at least it cannot be as fast as drawing and firing with your strong hand...in a point and shoot situation...

Can't teach an old dog new tricks....LOL

Bob I agree with you that all "old school" training was strong hand only. But current thinking is to use 2 hands when ever you can. If you practice your draw stroke and presentation with 2 hands, it is natural and fast.

Here, watch this "old dog".. Jerry will show you how it is done.

How to shoot a Pistol with world champion shooter, Jerry Miculek - YouTube

Bob I agree with you that all "old school" training was strong hand only. But current thinking is to use 2 hands when ever you can. If you practice your draw stroke and presentation with 2 hands, it is natural and fast.

Here, watch this "old dog".. Jerry will show you how it is done.

How to shoot a Pistol with world champion shooter, Jerry Miculek - YouTube

Jerry is really something...isn't he ? Yeah , he's one of a kind...and he is firmly stuck in his way...another old Dog not willing to listen, like me....He swears by his stance, he lectures on it and it works for him...

Have you ever noticed how twitchy and nervous he is....? I would think they should keep all firearms away from Jerry unless and until he is on the range...LOL

James, You know back then when I was trained...they had us address a suspect or adversary standing sideways to reduce our profile and his target...I see now days they train officers to face forward presenting a big target to the shooter and worse yet...the new guns have rails so they mount lights and laser sights on them...wow what a target they make of themselves....shoot at the light...We were taught ,,,way back then...to hold our flashlight way out to our side away from our body....Know why ? Because the criminal....shooter will shoot at the light...I just can't go along with the new methods...:2cents:;)