How not to skid logs

/ How not to skid logs #21  
I've had good luck pulling logs with a box blade and chain. Its good for a few logs, as its slower than a logging winch. What I like to do is back up to the butt of the log, drop the blade, and chain the log up close to the blade. When I pick the blade up, if I've chained it right, the butt will be off the ground and high enough to hit the blade in the event that it slides forward or I have to back up, instead of into the back of the tractor.
There is the chance that tractor could roll over backwards if you were to hit something, but in my experience with some large logs and an L2850 with loader, I've never even had the steering go light on me. With the butt of the log off the ground, you're less likely to hit something anyway. The weight of the average tractor being so far in front of the rear axle, and the drag of the log on the 3pt being only a few inches above, the forces tend to average out in favor of the tractor. As always though, be safe and don't do anything you're not comfortable doing.

/ How not to skid logs #22  
<font color="blue"> a come-along for a hoist </font>

The nice thing about this:
http://www.novajack.com/en/0103.htm
is that the log is only in the air when the tractor is pulling. If the log stars to over run on a downhill it will drop and stop. It also eliminates the need for another moving part.

Lou

/ How not to skid logs #24  
What is what happened? I don't see an attachment or a written description of the results....Maybe I'm missing something here.

/ How not to skid logs #26  
Heres a pretty neat skidder with NO moving parts. I'm going to try and build one. Just don't know how to get the bend in the 1/4" steel plate....

/ How not to skid logs #27  
</font><font color="blue" class="small">( Heres a pretty neat skidder with NO moving parts. I'm going to try and build one. Just don't know how to get the bend in the 1/4" steel plate.... )</font>

Did you forget teh attachment or link?

/ How not to skid logs #28  
Didn't see your link but if you're trying for something like the quad skid I had this thought, cause I want to make one for myself. Set the steel up on 2 parallel rows of bricks or cinder blocks, heat it in a line between the rows (also parallel) with a flame head on an oxy acetylene torch to cherry red, use the front edge of the bucket on your FEL as an anvil to press down along the heated area to make the bend. Then you would need to reheat and quench to harden the bend (maybe).

If I do this I'll post it in the build it forum.

Lou

/ How not to skid logs #29  
I have made a "quad" type skid plate. I think they work good for logs, or whatever. They make a pretty good stoneboat if large enough. The only drawback when moving it to the log by hand is the weight.
This same weight is also a plus. I also use it behind a wheeler to groom some xcourtry ski trails I've made. Good excuse to take a ride and enjoy the fresh snow.
I made mine by having the steel supplier put the sheet in his break and make numerours "crinks"about an inch apart. We just eyeballed it as we went. It made a pretty good and smooth overall curve. I did add some struts along the sides, because it seemed to flex too much. It's just the kind of implement I like - simple, and no moving parts.