How often should a tractor be run?

/ How often should a tractor be run? #11  
I rig mine up for snow and if it doesn't snow it could sit for while. A couple of times a winter I'll hook the battery charger up to it.

/ How often should a tractor be run? #12  
Running it only for 15 minutes a week is FAR worse than letting it sit for a month or two and then letting it get fully up to temp. It gets it just warm enough to condense and attract water, but not long enough to burn any of it off.

Keep fresh fluids in it, keep the battery on a tender or disconnected, and leave it sit. Resist the temptation to just tease the tractor with a quick start/shutdown.

Agree.. either let it sit or run it for 20 mins AFTER it it gets warmed up..

As a side note - its suppose to be very, very bad to just let a diesel idle. I know the RV guys are adamant about it. I dont have a diesel, so cant comment.

/ How often should a tractor be run? #13  
I know on my tractor when I change the oil I have to let it run for a long time to get the actual oil warm, even though the water temp gauge creeps up in temp. That is during the summer. I always forget that when I initially change the oil at the beginning of summer to mow etc.

I can see where the warm water and luke warm internal parts of the engine would produce condensation much like a cup you drink out of would.

On a side note I like to get them nice and warm before changing the oil so it picks up the junk and flows out ok.

/ How often should a tractor be run? #14  
My diesel pickup, at idle in the winter has a very hard time keeping the engine over 150 degrees. But that is at 650 rpm. It has to kick into high idle at about 1000 rpm to get near operating temp. Low idle on my 30 HP diesel tractor is around 1100 rpm and seems to be able to get up to temp.

I believe it's the fuel washing down cold cylinders that is bad for idling, and any fuel that gets by the rungs is not getting burned out of the oil because it doesn't get warm enough.

I'm a believer in starting an engine only if your are going to use it, otherwise either leave it sit. If you know its going to sit for more than a few months, then properly winterized/summarize the engine.

Don't forget that on many of the tractors, you have almost 9 gallons of hydraulic fluid that you start to warm when the engine is started. The compression in the pump and restrictions in the hoses and valves are going to take more than 15 minutes to warm it at idle.

/ How often should a tractor be run? #15  
On a side note I like to get them nice and warm before changing the oil so it picks up the junk and flows out ok.

Great tip & thanks Mate. I'll remember that for when my hours get up for the scheduled oil change. In hindsight it seems such a 'common dog' thing to do.

Ta. :thumbsup:

/ How often should a tractor be run? #16  
Our L3830 will sit weeks or months at a time without being started. Always starts right up and then gets used enough to get it good and warm.

Aaron Z

/ How often should a tractor be run?
Thanks for the replies. I have been eyeing up those battery maintainers that are solar powered. Probably would hurt to get some of them as the tractors sit next to windows.

I never thought about the condensation issue. In the past if I went to use my tractor in the winter time for a few mins, I would just put it back without getting it up to temp. For example, loading or unloading my diesel tanks in the truck to fill up. That is just a 5 min job. And since I use the RTV for firewood, the tractor doesn't run much.

/ How often should a tractor be run? #18  
Our farm tractors used to set the whole winter without starting or battery tending etcetera, just parked up in the open air. Come spring, they would fire right up. A correct electrical system on a diesel engine will not drain the battery. Before I retired and worked out of country, my old Yanmar would set for 8 months or more and start right up when I came home. Battery never discharged while setting. Many times now one of both of my tractors (LS and Kubota) may set for 4 months or more in the winter and start right up. Both are 2009 models with original batteries and still work like new. I cant say the same for my boat batteries which I keep a tender on and just had to replace the trolling motor battery after only 2 years. The tender seems to have boiled all the water out over the winter months (lack of attention on my part checking the water level). Oddly enough, the starting motor battery was still full of water and no problems and both had a tender on them.

/ How often should a tractor be run? #19  
Doesnt matter too much about the tractors electrical system as even ones which cause a drain can be disconnected. Main problem is that batteries 'self discharge' while sitting.

/ How often should a tractor be run? #20  
Doesnt matter too much about the tractors electrical system as even ones which cause a drain can be disconnected. Main problem is that batteries 'self discharge' while sitting.

That is why I use Odyssey agm batteries for my boat and camper but the personal vehicles which get run all the time get walmart everstart batteries. The Odysey and most agm batteries have a very slow discharge as do the gel batteries.