How often should a tractor be run?

/ How often should a tractor be run? #21  
The manual on one of mine says to not even operate the tractor at all for 10 min after starting so the fluids are all warm. I have a hard time being that patient in the summer, but in the winter that is gospel.

/ How often should a tractor be run? #22  
It has been interesting to compare this thread with one about how often to run a generator.

/ How often should a tractor be run? #23  
Agree.. either let it sit or run it for 20 mins AFTER it it gets warmed up..

As a side note - its suppose to be very, very bad to just let a diesel idle. I know the RV guys are adamant about it. I dont have a diesel, so cant comment.

Here this often yet in the dead of winter it's very common to see semis and busses idling all night long as the driver sleeps inside the cab. Ever watch "Ice road truckers"?

/ How often should a tractor be run? #24  
Here this often yet in the dead of winter it's very common to see semis and busses idling all night long as the driver sleeps inside the cab. Ever watch "Ice road truckers"?

Webastos are installed for this reason, saves hours on the engine!!

Idling diesels is not good for them, especially those with DPF's.

/ How often should a tractor be run? #25  
It has been interesting to compare this thread with one about how often to run a generator.

I bet.

But diesel tractor vs gas generator. apples and oranges

/ How often should a tractor be run? #26  
A lot of those arent the actual engine but an APU (genset)...

/ How often should a tractor be run? #27  

When your choices are "too cold to start in the morning" or idling over night, you take the lesser of two evils--idle for a long time. It doesn't make it good for it. Just less bad than the alternative. The best options is to let it sit off and plug in the block warmer for a while before stating it.

And technology has I proved a lot. Trucks and rvs have small generators now, and truck stops have umbilical cords with power and air conditioning/heating so they don't have to idle their trucks all night.