Dirt Moving How should I clear this brush?

/ How should I clear this brush? #31  
This type of mulcher will give you an excellent finished area if you can get one for rental.
Brushhound - FHX Defender Forestry Mulcher
With a NH location I would expect lots of surface rocks, many forestry mulchers are not for use in rocky areas as the carbide chippers break on rocks and are a charge back on the renter.

/ How should I clear this brush? #32  
Thanks for all the good guidance. Problem is, mowing isn't really an option for me. Pictures may not do justice but the ground is so covered in debris it would be a nightmare to mow through (take a look at the middle photo for reference). I don't own a rider but imagine that's what you all are referring to, given the condition of the ground, you guys think a rider can handle that type of terrain? And what type of sapling diameter can a powerful rider take on, like in the 20-22hp range.

Answering some of the other questions, my location is New Hampshire, cold season is long and I'm JUST starting to get early signs of buds on trees.

Cost. Mini excavator and skid steer are about the same at around $300 a day and $1,100 a week. To this point I've just assumed all the sublevel roots need to be ripped up to control the growth.

Lawn tractor won't do it, you need a rough mower. For just an acre you could use a walk-behind. They are rentable.

You want to mow right now when the brush is still dormant, knock it down to the ground while you can see what's what. It will come back, but as fleshy new growth, which you can mow again. If you hit it every few weeks you can use a regular lawn mower on that stuff. This time of year you can do surprisingly well just walking around with loppers and a saw. Cut off everything that's living at ground level. Pick up everything that's dead, plus what you just cut. Pile it all up and burn it. Pick up any rocks you can pick up and add them to the nearest wall.

If you're in NH I assume your soil is like mine, mostly rocks with a sprinkling of dirt between them. You do not want to disturb the soil, that will just bring rocks to the surface. If you have surface rocks the only tool that will survive is a string trimmer. That's a big area to cut with a trimmer. You want to limit yourself to cutting, mowing, burning and chemicals, no uprooting or moving dirt around. Trust me on this, I've broken three mowers in a day several times.

What kind of debris are you talking about? Is it rocks, logs, stumps, branches? Human-generated junk? Or just uneven ground? Rocks and stumps will break your mower, they need to come out. I don't like digging out stumps because I end up with a whole lot of rocks, so mostly I burn them when I can. Branches you can mow over with a rough mower. Logs won't generally break the mower but need to come out, pile them up and burn them.

/ How should I clear this brush? #33  
^^^ That is good advise from QuickSandFarmer I think ^^^

Black berries are not as persistant in NE as they are in other climates. This flat area where my wife has her asparagus and blue berries was reclaimed from black berries by mowing. You can see the remaining black berries that run down the hill behind the FEL in the first picture. They have turned into raspberries now. The area is a 25 year old log landing and was full of half buried logs. I have done nothing but mow and pull out or cut off at ground level stuff that protruded to high. The grass all came up by itself. What I couldn't cut or pull out I just mowed around until it rotted enough to mow over. I used a rough trail mower at first with the blade as high as I could get it, at least 6" probably, and now the lawn mower. Takes a little work and some time plus a lot of patience but mother nature will help quite a bit if you let her.

Manuer2.JPG

Manuer3.JPG

BushHog.JPG

gg

Last edited:
   / How should I clear this brush? #34  
I have done a lot of prep for food plots. From clearing off areas with a small dozer, used a skid steer, etc. As one post says, if your area is rock and bad about erosion you may want to not get to aggresive. I am in Southern Illinois. I have done plots for several different people. No matter what you do you will be battling the roots and seeds.

I have found that a small dozer will clear out things the best. I go thru and pop loose all the larger things, bushes, olives, etc. Then I start to push to the area I will leave them as cover or to burn. When you get a pile or wad of this brush in front of your machine and push it will rake your ground very nicely. Smoother than if you were to use a disk.

If the dozer is too expensive you may want to go the brush hog route. As another poster said. Pick up the debris that you can and chop up the rest. Look on Craigslist under services and see who bush hogs in your area. They should be able to chop up what you show in your pictures in a couple hours. No matter what you do other than a dozer, it requires a lot of physical picking up or gathering.

Having used both a tracked skid steer and a small dozer, the dozer ranks best in my opinion. Also, to burn the debris is always good. All the food plotters I know like to "SPRAY (kill w roundup), BURN, DISK, PLANT" Then once your seed grows you want to cut it at about 8 inches high to keep the weeds out. Once it gets established you will have a beautiful area.

As others have said also. To just bush hog and keep after it will have a lot of the natural grasses start coming back. That may be your best option. If you can find someone to bush hog a couple times a year, you will be amazed how it will start to come back. Also, when you have a light snow going on, you can broadcast the seed as it snows. When the snow melts, the seed will drift into the ground and new grass will come up from that.

/ How should I clear this brush? #35  
Hey guys, the back acre of my land is covered in thick brush rendering the whole area useless. Id like to clear it all out leaving just the trees. Not too concerned with leveling, it will house a few animal enclosures and fenced roaming areas. Ive tried maintaining it with a bladed brush cutter, but im left with a mess of tangled (mostly blackberry) roots. And it grows back incredibly fast! I think I need a more powerful approach, hoping to get some guidance onto which would work best. Mini excavator, skid steer or mulcher? Plan to rent one for a few days or week, not plan on pulling any stumps either, just work around them.

Here are a few pictures of the land. What it looks like unmaintained with and without summer growth, then after clearing with my brush cutter (and the useless mess it creates.) any advice would be awesome! Much appreciated, cheers!

-Brad

View attachment 602365View attachment 602366View attachment 602367

Spray blackberries with Crossbow.Use a cat with clearing forks to bulldoze them up with the roots after they die back and burn them.

/ How should I clear this brush?
Lawn tractor won't do it, you need a rough mower. For just an acre you could use a walk-behind. They are rentable.

You want to mow right now when the brush is still dormant, knock it down to the ground while you can see what's what. It will come back, but as fleshy new growth, which you can mow again. If you hit it every few weeks you can use a regular lawn mower on that stuff. This time of year you can do surprisingly well just walking around with loppers and a saw. Cut off everything that's living at ground level. Pick up everything that's dead, plus what you just cut. Pile it all up and burn it. Pick up any rocks you can pick up and add them to the nearest wall.

If you're in NH I assume your soil is like mine, mostly rocks with a sprinkling of dirt between them. You do not want to disturb the soil, that will just bring rocks to the surface. If you have surface rocks the only tool that will survive is a string trimmer. That's a big area to cut with a trimmer. You want to limit yourself to cutting, mowing, burning and chemicals, no uprooting or moving dirt around. Trust me on this, I've broken three mowers in a day several times.

What kind of debris are you talking about? Is it rocks, logs, stumps, branches? Human-generated junk? Or just uneven ground? Rocks and stumps will break your mower, they need to come out. I don't like digging out stumps because I end up with a whole lot of rocks, so mostly I burn them when I can. Branches you can mow over with a rough mower. Logs won't generally break the mower but need to come out, pile them up and burn them.

If I were to use a walk-behind to chop the bulk of the growth down, wouldn't thicker saplings (near 2") grow back in the same diameter and be too big for a standard rider mower when I came back? Forgive my lack of knowledge if those saplings won't grow back in the same thickness. The brush cutter I was referring to is a handheld, like a wired trimmer but has a tri-blade instead. Cuts through all sorts of stuff but clearing the whole area is a multi-day process.

/ How should I clear this brush?

The debris are a combination of naturally downed branches, small trees and the remains of my clearing out the area with the bladed trimmer. It's too big to rake handheld and way too much volume to move by hand. This seems like the biggest problem, if I had all the dead sh#t out of the way I'd have a much easier time with a walkbehind and eventually a rider. But as it sits, no way anything short of a tractor is rolling through there.

/ How should I clear this brush? #38  
The debris are a combination of naturally downed branches, small trees and the remains of my clearing out the area with the bladed trimmer. It's too big to rake handheld and way too much volume to move by hand. This seems like the biggest problem, if I had all the dead sh#t out of the way I'd have a much easier time with a walkbehind and eventually a rider. But as it sits, no way anything short of a tractor is rolling through there.

Can you burn in place? Can you go around the perimeter of the whole area and establish a cleared path that fire can't jump? Then you can be more liberal with fire on the inside, if you accidentally set the whole thing on fire it's mission accomplished.

I would do a bunch of small fires, and feed them as you go rather than building big piles and burning them all at once. It depends on what's legal where you are. Just walk through an area, if you can pick it up throw it on a fire, if you can't pick it up pile some brush on it and burn it where it sits. Sometimes you can start a fire at one end of an area and work your way to the other by feeding it as you go. If you get a good bed of coals going just about anything wood will burn, even if it's green.

Just be careful about the fire getting out of control.

/ How should I clear this brush? #39  
If I were to use a walk-behind to chop the bulk of the growth down, wouldn't thicker saplings (near 2") grow back in the same diameter and be too big for a standard rider mower when I came back? Forgive my lack of knowledge if those saplings won't grow back in the same thickness. The brush cutter I was referring to is a handheld, like a wired trimmer but has a tri-blade instead. Cuts through all sorts of stuff but clearing the whole area is a multi-day process.

Most things that grow in New England will send out leaves first if you cut them off. When it's just leaves you can knock it back with a mower or a weed wacker, it takes a few months for woody shoots to grow. If you keep mowing the leaves some of them give up and die, but some things, like cherries and wild rose seem like you can mow them forever and they keep coming back. For things that will come back the best thing is to paint the stump with herbicide right after cutting, it gets absorbed by the sap into the roots and kills the plant dead.

Another technique is to cut the plant off at ground level, let it re-sprout, and spray the sprout with herbicide. That will kill it dead and the resprout will be a lot smaller and weaker than the original and easier to kill. Once it's dead cut it off again.

/ How should I clear this brush? #40  
Can you burn in place? Can you go around the perimeter of the whole area and establish a cleared path that fire can't jump? Then you can be more liberal with fire on the inside, if you accidentally set the whole thing on fire it's mission accomplished.

I would do a bunch of small fires, and feed them as you go rather than building big piles and burning them all at once. It depends on what's legal where you are. Just walk through an area, if you can pick it up throw it on a fire, if you can't pick it up pile some brush on it and burn it where it sits. Sometimes you can start a fire at one end of an area and work your way to the other by feeding it as you go. If you get a good bed of coals going just about anything wood will burn, even if it's green.

Just be careful about the fire getting out of control.
Here you can get the State to control burn the areas pretty cheaply. Its $30 an acre plus the dozer time for the firebreaks. That will consume all of the ground debris